Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité

One of the main functions of the Personnel Division is to support Departments in all aspects of their staff management function including recruitment and retention, performance and health and safety. Some central processing services such as pensions, staff appraisal, and administration are carried out by the division.
The Holland Club opened in 1949 as a social club for non-teaching staff, named after Sir Thomas Holland, Rector of the College from 1922-1929. A dining club had been established in 1947, and the two clubs merged in 1962. The Consort Club was established as a joint Imperial College and Royal College of Art dining club.

During the First World War the Chemistry Department manufactured synthetic substances used in medicine, and College staff conducted research into gas warfare, glass-making and minesweepers. The Physics Department investigated medical x-rays and wireless telegraphy for the Admiralty, as did the Engineering laboratories, which made aircraft parts, gauges and fuses. Soldiers were also billeted in the College buildings.

During the Second World War, the Department of Metallurgy was temporarily transferred to Swansea, Mining to Camborne and Biology to the College Field Station at Slough. Plans to transfer other departments to Edinburgh were not carried out. The military occupied several buildings, including the field station, which was requistioned by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research in 1940 and retained by them after the war. A Home Guard company was formed in 1941. College staff contributed to the war effort, notably in the fields of radar, nuclear physics, transport fuel and pesticides and operational research.

Schemes for the development of the College have led to the rebuilding of the South Kensington site, and acquisition of a number of buildings in the area, particularly from the 1950s to mid 1970s. Number 170 Queen's Gate, designed by Norman Shaw (1831-1912), was purchased by Imperial College in 1947. The house was adapted for use by the Governing Body and as the Rector's lodgings, and was scheduled as a building of special architectural or historic interest in 1958.The Goldsmiths extension was the new City and Guilds (Engineering) College building, opened in 1926.

Schemes for the development of Imperial College have led to the rebuilding of the South Kensington site, particularly from the 1950s to mid 1970s. By 1935, Sir Henry Tizard, Rector of Imperial College from 1929-1942, had developed an expansion scheme to be achieved by securing the 'island site' campus (bounded by Exhibition Road, Prince Consort Road, Queen's Gate and the Museums) in South Kensington.
The Jubilee Expansion Scheme, approved in 1957, saw the remodelling of the College site on the securing of the 'island site'. The City and Guilds building was demolished in 1962, and the Imperial Institute building in 1963. The Collcutt Tower of the Imperial Institute (now Queen's Tower) was saved and became free-standing in 1968. New buildings were erected and residential student accommodation improved.

The Department of Aeronautics was established in 1920. Sir Richard Glazebrook was appointed the first Director and Zaharoff Professor of Aviation.
The Department of Meteorology was established in 1920, as part of the Department of Aeronautics. In 1934, it became part of the Department of Physics, and in 1955 was transferred to the Department of Geology.
The Physiological Flow Studies Unit was established in 1966 to foster basic research in physiological mechanics for the advancement of the understanding of certain human diseases. The Centre for Biological and Medical Systems developed from the Physiological Flow Studies Unit.

The Department of Biology had its origins in the teaching and research of biology in the Government School of Mines and Science as Applied to the Arts (later the Royal School of Mines) in 1851. The department moved to South Kensington in 1872, where T H Huxley was prominent in establishing modern teaching methods of the discipline. In 1881 the Royal College of Science was founded and took over the teaching of biology in two separate departments, Botany and Zoology. The Departments were united into a single Department of Biology in 1913 as part of Imperial College, with professors of Zoology, Plant Physiology, Woods and Fibres and Entomology.
The Department of Biochemistry opened in 1965. Before this, biochemical research and teaching at Imperial College operated within the Department of Botany.
The Division of Life Sciences was formed from the Departments of Botany, Zoology and Biochemistry in 1974. The Life Sciences Committee was established as a committee of the Board of Studies to consider all academic developments within the field and report to the Board as appropriate.
In 1981 the Department of Botany and Plant Technology was merged with the Department of Zoology and Applied Entomology to form the Department of Pure and Applied Biology, with the transfer of Microbiology from the Department of Biochemistry.

The teaching of Chemistry at Imperial College has its origins in the Royal College of Chemistry, which was established in 1845 in Hanover Square, London. In 1853 the College was incorporated with the Government School of Mines and of Science Applied to the Arts (later the Royal School of Mines). Chemistry was one of the departments to be transferred to South Kensington in 1872.
In 1881 the Royal College of Chemistry and the Royal School of Mines joined to form the Royal College of Science. In 1907 both became constituent colleges of the Imperial College of Science and Technology. A postgraduate Department of Chemical Technology was formed in 1912 as part of the Royal College of Science. In 1927 Chemical Engineering became a sub-department of Chemical Technology, along with Fuel Technology and Electrothermics. By 1940 Chemical Engineering had transferred to the City and Guilds College, to form a new department along with Applied Physical Chemistry.

The Computer Unit (later Computer Centre) was established in 1964, and became part of the Department of Computing and Control. In 1974 the Centre separated from the Department, and later became known as the Centre for Computing Services.
The Centre for Computing and Automation was formed in 1966, based on research undertaken in the Department of Mathematics. In 1970 the centre became the Department of Computing and Control, and then the Department of Computing in 1979, when the Control Group rejoined the Department of Electrical Engineering.
The Kobler Unit for the Management of Information Technology and a new chair to head it was established in 1984 by a trust set up by Fred Kobler.

Born, 1926; educated, Worthing High School, 1935-1943; St John's College, Cambridge, 1943-1945, 1948-1949; Assistant Experimental Officer, National Physics Laboratory, 1946-1948; Research student, University Mathematical Laboratory, Cambridge, 1949-1953; Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge, 1952-1955; Visiting Assistant Professor, Univeristy of Illinois, USA; Computer Department of Ferranti Ltd, 1955-1964; part-time Professor of Automatic Data Processing, University of Manchester and ICT Ltd, 1963-1964; Professor of Computing Science and Director, Centre for Computing and Automation, Imperial College, 1964-1970; Consultant to International Computers Limited, 1964-1965, 1968-1970; Consultant to the Ministry of Technology, 1966-1969; President, British Computer Society, 1967-1968; Director of various companies in the Miles Roman Group, 1970-1971; Senior Consultant, PA International Management Consultants Limited, 1972-1975; died, 1975.

The teaching of Civil Engineering in South Kensington originated with the establishment of the City and Guilds Central Institution in 1884, which taught Engineering. By 1913 two separate departments of Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering had emerged, as part of the renamed City and Guilds College. As courses developed separate sections emerged. A Chair in Highway Engineering was established in 1929, with the section being replaced by Transport in 1963. A Concrete Technology section was established in 1945, and Public Health and Water Resource Engineering in 1977.

The Department of Electrical Engineering originated with the teaching of evening classes in pratical electricity at Finsbury Technical College in 1878. With the opening of the City and Guilds Central Institution in 1884 classes moved to South Kensington as the Department of Physics, but was renamed Electrical Engineering in 1898.

The teaching of Mechanical Engineering in South Kensington originated with the establishment of the City and Guilds Central Institution in 1884, which taught Engineering. By 1913 two separate departments of Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering had emerged, as part of the renamed City and Guilds College. The Biomechanics section was developed during the 1960s, and a professorship awarded in 1974.
The Industrial Sociology Unit, established as an independent unit in 1969, and the Department of Management Science, established in 1971 were both previously part of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

The Department of Management Science was established in 1971 on its separation from the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The Department had its origins in a postgraduate course in Production Engineering in 1955, within the Department of Mechanical Engineering. From 1961 a course in Management Studies was offered, and the section became the Production Engineering and Management Studies Section (later the Management Engineering Section). In 1987, the Department merged with the Department of Social and Economic Studies to form the Management School.

The Department of Geology has its origins in the Museum of Economic Geology, a collection of minerals, maps and mining equipment made by Sir Henry De la Beche, and opened in 1841. The Museum also provided some student places for the study of mineralogy and metallurgy. Sir Henry was the director of the Geological Survey of Great Britain, and when the collections outgrew the premises the Museum and the Survey were placed on an official footing, with Government assistance. The Museum of Practical Geology and the Government School of Mines Applied to the Arts, with its Geology Department, opened in a purpose designed building in Jermyn Street in 1851. The officers of the Geological Survey became the lecturers and professors of the School of Mines (renamed the Royal School of Mines in 1863). Sir Andrew Ramsay was appointed to the first Chair of Geology in 1851 and retired in 1876. The department moved to South Kensington in 1877, and was transferred from the Royal College of Science to the Royal School of Mines in 1966.
The Technology of Oil (later Oil Technology) programme was established in 1913, with Applied Geophysics being introduced in the 1930s. Previously, the Departments of Physics, Mathematics, Meteorology and Chemistry had contributed towards research in Geophysics. Geochemistry studies were first undertaken in the Department in 1948, leading to the establishment of the Geochemical Prospecting Research Centre in 1954 (by 1965 the Applied Geochemistry Research Group). In the early 1970s Oil Technology was divided into Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Engineering, with the latter being incorporated into the Mineral Resources Engineering Department of the Royal School of Mines.
In 1998 the T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Sciences and Engineering was formed from the Department of Geology, Earth Resources Engineering, the Centre for Environmental Technology and the Environment Office.

The Murchison Museum was disbanded in 1990.

Born Portsmouth, 1840; educated Camberwell, Royal School of Mines; Geological Survey of England and Wales, 1867-1870; Inspector of Schools, 1871; President of the Geological Society, 1887-1888; Professor of Geology, 1876-1905; CB, 1895; Dean of the Royal College of Science, 1895-1905; Emeritus Professor of Geology, Imperial College, 1913; died, 1916.

Publications: The Geology of Rutland, and the parts of Lincoln, Leicester, Northampton, Huntingdon and Cambridge [1875]; Volcanoes, what they are, and what they teach (1881); On the structure and distribution of Coral Reefs ... By C Darwin. With ... a critical introduction to each work by Prof J W J (1890);The Student's Lyell. A manual of elementary geology by Sir Charles Lyell. Edited by J W Judd ( J Murray, London, 1896); The Coming of Evolution. The story of a great revolution in science (1910).

Born Glasgow, 1814, son of William Ramsay, a manufacturing chemist; clerk in a cotton-grower's office, 1827; published book on the Isle of Arran, 1841; appointed Assistant Geologist on the Geological Survey, 1841; appointed Local Director, 1845; Professor of Geology, University College London, 1848-1851; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1849; Professor of Geology, Royal School of Mines, 1851-1876; President of the Geological Society, 1867-1864; Director for England and Wales, Geological Survey; Wollaston medal of the Geological Survey, 1871; Royal medal of the Royal Society, 1871; knighted, 1881; died, 1891.

Publications: include: The Geology of the Island of Arran, from original survey. Illustrated by engravings (Glasgow, 1841); Passages in the history of Geology: an inaugural lecture at University College, London (London, 1848); A descriptive catalogue of the Rock Specimens in the Museum of Practical Geology with Henry W Bristow, Archibald Geikie and Hilary Bauerman (London, 1858); The geological structure of Merionethshire and Caernarvonshire reprinted, with additions, from "The Geologist" (London, 1858); The Geology of North Wales ... With map and sections (1866).

Slater , George , 1874-1956 , geologist

Born Sharow, Yorkshire, 1874; educated at St John's College, York and Royal College of Science (later Imperial College); teacher ( Assistant Master), Haltwhistle, Northumberland, 1895-1897; Ipswich, 1897-1918; Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer in Geology, Imperial College, 1918-1939; Glaciologist to the Oxford University expedition to Spitsbergen, Norway, 1921; awarded the Murcheson Fund by the Geological Society, 1928; Foulerton Award of the Geologists' Association, 1950; died, 1956.
Publications: include: Studies in Glacial Tectonics edited by A K Wells (Edward Stanford, London, 1927).

The History of Science and Technology Department was established in 1963. In 1980, the department was amalgamated with Associated Studies to form the Department of Humanities. In 1990 Science and Technology Studies separated from the Humanities Department, which became the Humanities Programme. The London Centre for the History of Science, Medicine and Technology was established in 1987, in collaboration with University College London, Imperial College, Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine and the Science Museum.

The Department of Social and Economic Studies was established in 1978, from the Industrial Sociology Unit and a new Economics unit. The Industrial Sociology Unit was established as an independent unit in 1969, previously being part of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In 1987, the Department of Social and Economic Studies merged with the Department of Management Science to form the Management School of Imperial College.
Joan Woodward was Professor of Industrial Sociology from 1969-1971.

The Department of Mathematics can be traced to the teaching of Mechanical Science at the Government School of Mines and of Science (later the Royal School of Mines), established in 1851. A department of Applied Mechanics was established, and renamed the Division of Mathematics and Mechanics in 1881 on the formation of the Royal College of Science, of which the Royal School of Mines was a constituent college. Mathematics was also taught at the City and Guilds College from its establishment in 1885. In 1912, it was decided that there would be one Professor of Mathematics for Imperial College, and the departments were amalgamated. Research undertaken in the Department of Mathematics led to the establishment of the Centre for Computing and Automation in 1966. In 1970 the centre became the Department of Computing and Control, and then the Department of Computing in 1979.

The Department of Materials has its origins in the Royal School of Mines, which opened in 1851. By 1854, the Mining and Metallurgical Division was established as one of four sections of the School, and was moved from Jermyn Street to South Kensington in 1879 as the Department of Metallurgy. In 1970, the Department became the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, and the Department of Materials from 1986, as part of the Royal School of Mines.
The London Centre for Marine Technology was established in the 1980s as a joint venture between Imperial College and University College London.

The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering has its origins in the Royal School of Mines, which opened in 1851 as the Government School of Mines and of Science applied to the Arts. By 1854, the Mining and Metallurgical Division was established as one of four sections of the School. The department was moved from Jermyn Street to South Kensington in 1891.An undergraduate degree course in Mineral Dressing was introduced in 1953, and renamed Mineral Technology in 1961, when a new chair in Mineral Technology was established. The Department was known as the Department of Mining and Mineral Technology from 1961 until 1976, when it became the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering with the addition of Petroleum Engineering from the Department of Geology.A third year undergraduate course in Rock Mechanics was introduced in 1967.
The Centre for Petroleum Studies was established in 1994 and is currently part of the T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Science and Engineering, as is the Petroleum Engineering & Rock Mechanics (PERM) Research Group.

Postgraduate courses in Nuclear Power and Nuclear Technology were first offered by Imperial College in 1958. The Nuclear Technology course was part of the Department of Chemical Engineering, with the Nuclear Technology Group being established in 1962. The Nuclear Power course was part of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The University of London Reactor Centre is located at Silwood Park, Berkshire, and is now operated within the T H Huxley School for the Environment, Earth Sciences and Engineering.

Economic Policy Studies was established in 1974, as a research programme in the Department of Electrical Engineering.

The Robotics and Automated Systems Centre was established in 1983, as was the Centre for Composite Materials.
The Science of Materials covered research carried out in various departments. In 1972, Materials Science was established as an undergraduate course centred in the Department of Metallurgy (later the Department of Materials).

The Imperial College Centre for Environmental Technology (ICCET) was founded in 1977, the first of the interdisciplinary centres within Imperial College crossing traditional boundaries between departments. The Centre became part of the T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Sciences and Engineering in 1998, which also amalgamated the Departments of Earth Resources Engineering and Geology. The Centre for Remote Sensing was established as part of the Centre for Environmental Technology.

The Department of Physics has its origins in the teaching of Mechanical Science at the Government School of Mines and Science (later the Royal School of Mines) which opened in 1851. In 1853 Applied Mechanics and Experimental Physics were taught at the School. After 1872 Physics, Chemistry and Natural History were transferred to South Kensington.
Astronomy was taught from 1882, with the first Professor of Astronomical Physics being appointed in 1887. In 1911 a Department and Committee for Technical Optics was established, which in 1918 separated from the Department of Physics. By 1926, the department had become a postgraduate section of the Department of Physics, and later became the Applied Optics Section.

Born, 1868; Member of British Government Eclipse Expeditions, 1893, 1896, 1898, 1900, 1905, 1914; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1910; awarded Valz Prize by the Paris Academy of Sciences, 1913; Bakerian Lecturer, Royal Society, 1914 and 1924; awarded Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, 1915; awarded Royal Medal of the Royal Society, 1918; Henry Draper Gold Medal of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, 1920; Yarrow Research Professor of the Royal Society, 1923-1934; President, Section A, British Association, 1926; CBE 1935; President, Institute of Physics 1935-1937; Past-President, Royal Astronomical Society; Emeritus Professor of Astro-Physics, Imperial College; late Member of Advisory Council Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; late General Secretary, International Astronomical Union; died, 1940.
Publications: Geometrical Astronomy and Astronomical Instruments (The Concise Knowledge Astronomy [1914]); Popular Telescopic Astronomy. How to make a 2-inch telescope and what to see with it (G Philip & Son, London, 1896); Report on Series in Line Spectra (Physical Society, London, 1922); numerous papers relating to solar and stellar spectra, the spectra of comets, and the structure of spectra in Proceedings of Royal Society and Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society.

The Department of Zoology has its origins in Natural History lectures at the Government School of Mines and Science Applied to the Arts (later the Royal School of Mines), established in 1851. The Department was known as Zoology and Applied Entomology from 1934. The Division of Life Sciences was fomed from the Departments of Botany, Zoology and Biochemistry in 1974. In 1981 the Department of Zoology and Applied Entomology was merged with the Department of Botany and Plant Technology to form the Department of Pure and Applied Biology, with the transfer of Microbiology from the Department of Biochemistry. The Department continued to form part of the Division of Life Sciences along with the Department of Biochemistry.

Born Perth, Scotland, 1888; educated at the High School, Dundee, and Edinburgh University, graduating in Agriculture, 1910, Forestry, 1911; appointed Assistant Professor of Entomology at Imperial College, 1926, instrumental in establishing the Field Station at Hurworth, Slough, and then at Silwood Park, Berkshire; Professor of Entomology, 1930; Professor of Zoology and Applied Entomology, 1934-1953; died, 1968.
Publications: Insects & Industry (London, 1929); Report on Insect Infestation of Stored Cacao with W S Thomson (London, 1929); Cotton Pest Control Work in Southern and Central Africa and the Rhodesias (Report on a tour) (London, 1937); Report on a Survey of the Infestation of Grain by Insects (London, 1940); Pests of stored products (Hutchinson, London, 1966).

The first Field Station established by the College was at Hurworth, near Slough in the late 1920s. It was taken over by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research during World War Two, and consequently the college relocated their field station to Silwood Park, Berkshire. The house and land was purchased in 1947, and in 1953 Silwood Park Farm and land was purchased by Imperial College. Some further land along Cheapside Road was purchased in 1961. The Overseas Spraying Machinery Centre, Silwood Park was established in 1955.
Sunninghill manor, part of Silwood Park estate, first appears as a separate manor in a conveyance of 1362, although technically it is a parcel of the royal manor of Cookham. The first court of which there is a record was held in 1616 by Mathew Day, Lord of the manor and five times mayor of Windsor. Courts were held irregularly during the period 1616-1790, and dealt exclusively with the transfer of land and admission of tenants. After several changes of owner, the manor was sold to James Sibbald in 1788, who built a new house, the first Silwood.
The Ashurst Lodge Estate house and grounds was purchased by Imperial College in 1948, and sold in 1987.

Interdisciplinary centres which cross traditional boundaries between departments were established at Imperial College in 1977, with the founding of the Imperial College Centre for Environmental Technology. The Pimlico Connection is a community-based tutoring scheme for students of Imperial College and was established in 1975.

The grant of arms was made to Imperial College by Royal Warrant of King Edward VII dated 6 June 1908. The College arms are confined to a shield, and display the Royal Arms together with a book representing knowledge. The motto 'Scientia Imperii Decus et Tutamen' can be translated as 'knowledge is the adornment and protection of the State'.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

St Mary's Hospital Medical School was founded in 1854. St Mary's Hospital had been founded in 1845 as a voluntary hospital for the benefit of the sick poor, and from its foundation was intended to be a teaching hospital. The first two clinical students were admitted in 1851 when the hospital opened. Until 1933 the School was housed in South Wharf Road before moving to its present site in Norfolk Place.

The running of the Medical School was the responsibility of the Medical School Committee, one of the standing Committees of the Hospital. The Commitee was ultimately responsible to the Board of Governors or Board of Management of the Hospital, although the Medical School was always allowed a great degree of autonomy. The School was recognised as a School of the University of London in 1900.

In 1948, the Medical School became independent of St Mary's Hospital, gaining it's own Council. It also gained responsibility for the Wright-Fleming Institute, although this remained autonomous with its own Council and administration until 1967, when it became part of the Medical School.

In 1988, St Mary's Hospital Medical School merged with Imperial College to become its fourth constituent college (the others being the Royal College of Science, Royal School of Mines and City and Guilds College). The College was renamed Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. The School was managed by a Delegacy responsible to the Governing Body of Imperial College. In 1997 the Imperial College School of Medicine was formed from the existing institutions on the St Mary's and Royal Brompton campuses, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

St Mary's Hospital Medical School was managed by the Medical School Committee, one of the standing Committees of the Hospital. The Commitee was ultimately responsible to the Board of Governors or Board of Management of the Hospital, although the Medical School was always allowed a great degree of autonomy. In 1948, the Medical School became independent of St Mary's Hospital, gaining its own Council. It also gained responsibility for the Wright-Fleming Institute, although this remained autonomous with its own Council and administration until 1967, when it became part of the Medical School. In 1988, St Mary's Hospital Medical School became the fourth constituent college of Imperial College, which was renamed Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. The School was managed by a Delegacy responsible to the Governing Body of Imperial College. In 1997 the Imperial College School of Medicine was formed from the existing institutions on the St Mary's and Royal Brompton campuses, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School.

The Medical School Secretary managed the general administration of the School. The post of School Secretary was created in 1889. In 1993 the title was changed with the appointment of a new postholder to Director of Finance and Administration, and remained as such until 1998.
St Mary's Recreation Centre was built by St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1983-1984. It was orginally known as the Queen Mother Recreation Centre.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

The responsibility for building works associated with the Medical School was held by the School Secretary. The post of School Secretary was created in 1889. In 1993 the title was changed with the appointment of a new postholder to Director of Finance and Administration, and remained as such until 1998.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

Student records were created and maintained by the Medical School Secretary, then later the Registry of St Mary's Hospital Medical School.

Richards , Peter , b 1936 , physician

Born, 1936; educated at Monkton Combe School, Emmanuel College Cambridge, St George's Hospital Medical School, Royal Postgraduate Medical School; Consultant Physician, St Peter's Hospital, Chertsey, 1970-1973; Honorary Senior Lecturer in Medicine, St Mary's Hospital Medical School, 1970-1973; Senior Lecturer in Medicine, St George's Hospital Medical School, 1973-1979; Dean and Professor of Medicine, St Mary's Hospital Medical School, 1979-1995; Pro-Rector (Medicine), Imperial College, 1988-1995; Chairman, Council of Deans of UK Medical Schools and Faculties, 1994-1995; member, General Medical Council, 1994-[1997]; member, Royal College of Physicians, London, 1994-[1997].

Publications:The Medieval Leper joint editor (Clinical Medicine and Therapeutics, 1977); Understanding Water, Electrolyte and Acid/Base Metabolism 1983; Learning Medicine 1983; Living Medicine 1990; scientific papers especially concerning kidney disease and criterial for selection of medical students.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

The Chemical Pathology Department of St Mary's Hospital Medical School is now part of the Department of Metabolic Medicine.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

The Medical School employed an accountant from the early 1900s, and the post developed into the Finance Department.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

The Huggett Laboratories are research support laboratories at the former St Mary's Hospital Medical School, later Imperial College School of Medicine.

Born, 1925; educated at University College School, Hampstead; Guy's Hospital Medical School; Lecturer in Child Health, University of Bristol, 1956-1960; Consultant Paediatrician, United Bristol Hospitals, 1960; Assistant Director, 1960-1964 and Director, 1964-1969, Paediatric Unit, St Mary's Hospital Medical School; Consultant Paediatrician, St Mary's Hospital, 1960-1990; Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, 1966; Consultant Adviser in Paediatrics, DHSS, 1971-1986, and member of DHSS committees, 1966-1988; University of London member of Board of Studies in Medicine, 1964-1990, member of Senate, 1981-1989, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, 1984-1986, member of Court, 1984-1989; member, General Medical Council, 1984-1988, British Medical Association, British Paediatric Association, European Society for Paediatric Research.
Publications: Modern Textbook of Paediatrics for Nurses (William Heinemann Medical Books, London, 1961); Neurological examination of children with Richmond Shepard Paine (London, Spastics Society Medical Education and Information Unit in association with Heinemann Medical, 1966); book chapters and papers on paediatrics and child health.

St Mary's Hospital Rugby Club was founded in 1865, and was one of the founders of the Rugby Union. St Mary's Hospital Medical Society was founded in 1866. The St Mary's Hospital Medical School Students' Club became the Students' Union in 1939/1940.

Born, 1925; educated at Heath Grammar School, Halifax; Edinburgh and Harvard Universities; Research Fellow, Harvard University, 1953-1954; Lecturer in Surgery, Edinburgh University, 1954-1958; Senior Lecturer, Aberdeen University, 1958-1963; Foundation Professor of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, 1963-1972; Professor of Surgery, St Mary's Hospital, University of London, 1973-1988; Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, 1974; Professor Emeritus, 1988-date; Regional Research Co-ordinator, NW Thames Regional Health Autority, 1989-1992; Chairman, Independent Ethics Committee; Army Personnel Research Establishment, Farnborough, 1989-1994; Chemical and Biological Defence Establishment, Porton Down, 1988-[1997].

Publications: include: Principles of General Surgical Management with B C Paton [and others] (E & S Livingstone, Edinburgh & London, 1958); Access and Exposure in Abdominal Surgery with Peter Ferry Jones (Lloyd-Luke (Medical Books), London, 1964; Associate Editor, British Medical Journal.

National Heart and Lung Institute

The National Heart and the Institute can trace its history back to the emergence of three major London hospitals; the Royal Brompton (1841), The London Chest (1848) and the National Heart (1857). The research arms which developed from these hospitals formally merged in 1973 and became the National Heart and Lung Institute in 1988.

The Brompton Hospital was established as the Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest in 1841 by Philip Rose, a London Solicitor, and emphasized training and research in the field. From 1843 students visited the wards, and by 1851 lectures were held by the first visiting physician, Theophilus Thompson. In the 1870s regular teaching was undertaken through lectures and demonstrations. This was expanded in 1894, and the hospital recognised by the Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Brompton Hospital Medical School was founded in 1843, and became known as the Institute for Diseases of the Chest in 1947. In 1972 the Institute for the Diseases of the Chest and the Institute of Cardiology merged to form the Cardiothoracic Institute, and became known as the National Heart and Lung Institute (NHLI) in 1988. Situated next to the Royal Brompton Hospital, the Institute became part of Imperial College in 1995, and part of Imperial College School of Medicine in 1997. The main objective of the Institute is to carry out research, development and education in heart and lung medicine.
The Brompton Hospital Sanatorium was established in 1904 at Frimley in Surrey to treat tuberculosis patients. Dr Marcus Sinclair Paterson (1870-1932) was its first medical superintendant, developing a system of treatment called 'graduated labour', which involved the patients in various levels of physical activity. The treatment caused much interest at the time, and Paterson was contacted by many doctors and health authorities. The sanatorium closed in 1985.
James Edward Pollock (1819-1910) was physician to the Brompton Hospital, 1861-1882, and consulting physician, 1882-1910.
Frederick Rufenacht Walters (1857-1946) was a specialist in tuberculosis, and opened a sanatorium near Farnham in Surrey.

Royal Postgraduate Medical School

The British Postgraduate Medical School, based at Hammersmith Hospital, was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1931 and opened in 1935. It was the result of recommendations by the Athlone Report of 1921, and was a pioneer institution of postgraduate clinical teaching and research. The school has always been closely linked with the Hammersmith Hospital and the Medical Research Council, where its teaching research and clinical work is carried out. Senior Academic staff of the school provided consultant services and academic leadership for Hammersmith Hospital.
The school became part of the British Postgraduate Medical Foundation in 1947, and was known as the Postgraduate Medical School of London. In 1974 the school became independent, with a new charter and the title Royal Postgraduate Medical School.
In 1988 the school merged with the Institute of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and became part of the Imperial College School of Medicine on its formation in 1997.

The Imperial College Union was established in 1907. There are also four constituent unions, the Royal College of Science Union, Royal School of Mines Union, City & Guilds College Union and Imperial College School of Medicine Union. The governing body of the Unions is the Council. The Executive, comprising Union officers, has responsibility to carry out policy. Clubs and societies, financial affairs and other functions are organised through committees.

Alumni Groups and Associations exist to keep former students in touch with each other and with the College. The Old Student Associations became Constituent College Associations in 1992. All are predominantly volunteer organisations but receive administrative support from the College's Alumni Relations office. The City & Guilds College Association was formed in 1897, and until 1992 took its name (Old Centralians) from the original Central Technical College of 1885. The Twentyone Club was established in 1922 as a correspondence club for former students of the City and Guilds College. The Links Club was established in 1926 as a similar club for the Guilds. The Royal College of Science Association was founded in 1908 under the Presidency of H G Wells. The Royal School of Mines Association began life as the Royal School of Mines Old Students' Dining Club and the first Annual Dinner was held in 1873. The Association was formally inaugurated in 1913. The Chaps Club was established in 1921, as a Club for past students of the Royal School of Mines.
The Hofmann Society was established in 1933 for Organic Chemists in the Royal College of Science. The H G Wells Society was established in 1963 for students and staff.
The Imperial College Representative Council was formed in 1969 to consider matters of general college interest, and comprised representatives from staff and student unions within the college.