Showing 15888 results

Authority record
Corporation of London

The Chamber of a city is the place where the funds of the corporation are kept and where moneys due are received - a kind of treasury. The Chamber is run by the Chamberlain, an officer who receives the rents and revenues owed to the corporation. The origin of the Chamber of London is obscure, but as soon as the citizens were sufficiently united to hold lands and tenements in common an officer must have been appointed to collect rents and disburse income for public welfare. The Chamber is first mentioned in 1275 and in the following year Stephen de Mundene is named as City Chamberlain. At first the Chamberlain was chosen by the Mayor and Aldermen, but by 1319 elections were introduced and the officer was chosen by the liverymen in Common Hall.

The Chamberlain's duties combined municipal finance with public banking. His main duty was as treasurer or banker of the City of London with custody of the monies of the Corporation, called the City's Cash, and other funds. Former Chamberlains were able to keep for themselves profits derived from interest on the cash! The Chamberlain also collects the rents of all Corporation properties and makes payments on behalf of the Corporation including salaries and pensions. He also invests money, is responsible for insurance, the preparation of tax returns and production of reports and statistics. Additionally, the Chamberlain was the Accountant General of the Court of Orphans (see CLA/002) and held all money belonging to the orphans on which he allowed interest. For this purpose the Chamberlain held a Common Seal, first mentioned in 1396. He was also the occasional collector of taxes for the London area, particularly those granted to the City by the monarchy in return for loans. The Coal Duty for reconstruction of public buildings after the Great Fire was paid into the Chamber, as was any money borrowed by the City. The Chamberlain was also treasurer of any charitable funds organised by the City.

The City of London (Union of Parishes) Act 1907 united the then-existing 112 City parishes into one, to be called the Parish of the City of London, for most purposes other than ecclesiastical or charitable. From 1908 uniform Poor and General Rates were to be collected throughout the Parish of the City of London. The Corporation set up the Valuation and Rating Department within the Town Clerk's Office on 1 Apr 1908 to carry out the duties of Common Council under the 1907 Act. Before 1908 collection of the rates was not the responsibility of the Corporation of London but of individual parishes, wards etc.

Corporation of London

The City of London was unique in evolving Common Hall as a separate electoral assembly for the choice of important municipal officers, including the Lord Mayor. At one time all freemen were entitled to attend but now only liverymen of the City Livery Companies or Guilds are present and only those liverymen of more than one year's standing are entitled to vote. No specific date can be supplied for the establishment of Common Hall, although its existence can be traced back to at least the 13th century. In 2008 Common Hall continues to meet on a regular basis.

Common Hall developed from an early assembly of citizens, termed a Congregation. Originally all freemen were entitled to attend such assemblies but apparently the assembly became too large for Guildhall. By the 13th century attendance depended on individual summons and constant orders were issued for enforcing the rule that only those summoned on the advice of the Mayor and Aldermen should attend. It became the practice in the 14th century to enlarge the administrative assembly for the purpose of elections by summoning further substantial citizens from the Wards. In 1422 and again in 1443 it was ordered that the election should be attended only by the Common Councilmen and other powerful and discreet citizens specially summoned, and on entry each person was called by name at the gate of the hall.

In 1467 the assembly was reinforced by the addition of the masters and wardens of the Livery Companies. This was the first step in the direction of organising the assembly on the basis of the guilds. It was followed in 1475 when the liverymen of the companies replaced men formerly summoned from the Wards. Although the ward men were probably also liverymen it must have had the practical result of broadening the assembly somewhat. It certainly had that effect in course of time for more and more companies were allowed the privilege of a livery. Thus the original right of all freemen to attend came to be limited to those freemen who were sufficiently substantial to assume, or later to be elected upon, the livery of their companies. This privilege of the liverymen was confirmed by Statute in 1725 which requires that electors shall be freemen and liverymen of at least one year's standing.

A Common Hall is summoned by precept from the Lord Mayor to the masters and wardens of the Livery Companies, requiring them to give notice to their liverymen to attend at Guildhall on a certain day. Another precept requires the attendance of the Beadle of each company at the entrance to Guildhall to prevent any other than liverymen from entering. The members of each company enter by a particular wicket [a fence of doorways] guarded by their Beadle, and the Common Cryer opens proceedings by directing all who are not liverymen to depart on pain of imprisonment. Common Hall is presided over by the Lord Mayor and cannot be held except by his direction and the business to be placed upon the summons is entirely under his control. His presence cannot be dispensed with except by the appointment in writing under his hand and seal of a locum tenens. On Midsummer Day, 24 June, the liverymen meet to elect two Sheriffs, two Bridge Masters, four Aleconners and six Auditors of the Chamber and Bridge House Accounts. Following the elections, the Livery Committee is appointed in accordance with the constitution and terms of reference approved in Common Hall on 24 June 1942. The election of the Lord Mayor takes place at a Common Hall held on Michaelmas, 29 September. All the Aldermen of the City of London who have served the office of Sheriff, except those who have already served as Lord Mayor, are automatically in nomination. The liverymen select two persons for submission to the Court of Aldermen for the final choice of one of them as Lord Mayor, a practice established in 1406. Choice is made initially by show of hands, but a poll or ballot may be demanded.

From the 16th to the 19th centuries the liverymen exercised the right of electing the members of Parliament for the City of London, an exclusive privilege confirmed to them in 1725 by 'An Act for regulating Elections within the City of London, and for preserving the Peace, good order and Government of the said City'. The Reform Act of 1832, while giving votes to inhabitant householders and occupiers of the annual value of £10, preserved the rights of the liverymen provided the civic freedom was acquired by servitude, or patrimony derived from a father free by servitude, and the liverymen resided within 7 miles of the City of London (subsequently extended by Act of Parliament of 1867 to 25 miles. The Representation of the People Act 1918 abolished the right of the liverymen as such to exercise the parliamentary franchise in the City of London but permitted those who possessed a business premises qualification to be entered on a separate list of liverymen in the register of parliamentary electors, and to vote as liverymen at Guildhall. The Representation of the People Act 1948 abolished the business premises qualification and also abolished the parliamentary constituency of the City of London and united it with the City of Westminster to form one parliamentary constituency, the Cities of London and Westminster.

Corporation of London

The City of London was unique in evolving Common Hall as a separate electoral assembly for the choice of important municipal officers, including the Lord Mayor. At one time all freemen were entitled to attend but now only liverymen of the City Livery Companies or Guilds are present and only those liverymen of more than one year's standing are entitled to vote. No specific date can be supplied for the establishment of Common Hall, although its existence can be traced back to at least the 13th century. In 2008 Common Hall continues to meet on a regular basis.

The Livery Consultative Committee was formed to promote better communication between the Livery Companies and the City and to find a method of increasing the involvement of Liverymen in City affairs, with the hope of thus increasing the general welfare of the City.

Corporation of London

The City of London was unique in evolving Common Hall as a separate electoral assembly for the choice of important municipal officers, including the Lord Mayor. At one time all freemen were entitled to attend but now only liverymen of the City Livery Companies or Guilds are present and only those liverymen of more than one year's standing are entitled to vote. No specific date can be supplied for the establishment of Common Hall, although its existence can be traced back to at least the 13th century. In 2008 Common Hall continues to meet on a regular basis.

The Livery Committee of 1782 had the terms of reference 'to take the most effectual Methods for obtaining a more equal Representation of the People in Parliament and a frequent Election of the Representatives, according to ancient usage, and for these purposes to confer and correspond with other Committees throughout the Kingdom', that is, to correspond with the Committees of several counties on the topic of economy, reform and Parliament.

The Livery Committee of 1864 was established to regulate the admission of liverymen to Common Hall.

Corporation of London

Guilds or companies controlled much of the industry and trade of London from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Their economic power waned in the Industrial Revolution and they transformed themselves into fraternal and charitable institutions. The guilds regulated the production of their product, promoted the quality of goods, ensured honesty in weights and measures, and trained future practitioners of their craft or trade. The principal goal of any guild was to create a monopoly over their branch of London's trade and to prevent the incursion of foreign merchants (that is, not from London). The guild was also a social and religious organisation, usually dedicated to a patron saint; members attended mass together, dined together and provided for their aged, poor or disabled brethren. The status of each London guild was confirmed by grant of royal charter, conferring on the guilds a corporate structure and giving them the privilege to regulate apprenticeship, prices, wages and the quality of production. Members of the guilds could progress through various ranks. The lowest was Freeman - for many years it was not possible to become a Freeman of the City of London without first becoming a Freeman of a livery company. After Freeman was the intermediate stage of Yeoman, then Warden and finally Master.

In the 14th century the right of the companies to have a share in the government of the City was recognised, reflecting their wealth, power and influence as well as the wish of the City of London to have civic regulation of the freedom, apprenticeship and trade. In 1467 the assembly of Freemen at Common Hall, where the mayor and other officials were elected, was reinforced by the addition of the masters and wardens of the Livery Companies. This was the first step in the direction of organising the assembly on the basis of the guilds. Wearing of a livery became of great importance when in 1475 attendance at Common Hall was restricted to liverymen, that is, men wearing a livery or uniform. This had the effect that in course of time more and more companies or guilds were allowed the privilege of a livery, hence their title of Livery Companies. Thus the original right of all freemen to attend came to be limited to those freemen who were sufficiently substantial to assume, or later to be elected upon, the livery of their companies. This privilege of the liverymen was confirmed by Statute in 1725 which requires that electors shall be freemen and liverymen of at least one year's standing.

Corporation of London

Custumals are collections of the customs, laws, liberties, statutes and regulations of a manor, city or province, brought together in one volume from a variety of sources. They would have been used as reference books by the City Clerks.

Corporation of London

The acceleration of population growth in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries coupled with the Industrial Revolution massively increased the number of people living in urban areas - in 1891 a quarter of the country's population lived in London. Accommodation for the urban poor was usually crowded tenements with poor sanitation and no amenities. This state of affairs gradually attracted press attention, with observers expressing moral indignation at the conditions in which people were forced to live as well as fear that such slums would spread disease and social uprisings might occur. Various Acts of Parliament were introduced in an attempt to control the problem, such as the Lodging Houses Act of 1851 which permitted local authorities to erect and repair lodging houses, the Labouring Classes Dwelling Houses Act of 1866 which extended local authority powers to provide housing for the labouring classes, and the Artisans and Labourers Dwellings Acts of 1868 and 1875 which permitted local authorities to close, demolish and improve unfit dwellings. Unfortunately none of these Acts provided any subsidy for the local authorities and few acted on them. It was still not widely accepted that the local authority had any part to play in housing provision. Additionally, the new housing built to replace slums was often for the artisan class meaning that the poorest inhabitants of the demolished slum were displaced with nowhere to live. Nevertheless, the Corporation of London embarked on several housing projects: the Corporation Buildings on Farringdon Street, built in 1865, were the earliest council housing scheme.

In 1884 the Royal Commission on the Housing of the Poor examined sanitary conditions, public health, the availability of accommodation, rents, the cost of living and building costs. The Commission produced evidence showing that slums were not inhabited only by the criminal or destitute but by hard working, otherwise respectable families forced to live in such conditions by high rents and lack of housing. The Commission recommended legislation and the Housing of the Working Classes Act of 1885 was passed, enabling municipal bodies to provide and improve housing for the working population and providing low interest loans to encourage construction. An addition to the Act in 1890 gave local authorities the power of compulsory purchase of land, allowing them to provide housing other than on a replacement basis following slum clearance.

After the First World War it was acknowledged that there was a housing shortage, and that the housing provided had to be suitable for returning soldiers - 'Homes for Heroes' became a popular slogan. Local authorities were the obvious vehicle for that provision and subsidies were provided to encourage the building of half a million homes in three years. The Housing and Town Planning Act of 1919 encouraged revolutionary new standards of building including indoor toilets, a bathroom, separate cooking areas, hot water, gas and open spaces around the homes. Unfortunately this proved too expensive and the subsidies were withdrawn: in the 1923 Housing Act standards of building were lowered. The 1930 Housing Act encouraged local authorities to focus on more slum clearance but made it a requirement to re-house everyone displaced by the clearance.

A similar crisis in housing occurred after the Second World War, when nearly four million homes were destroyed or damaged by enemy action. Local authorities were again used as instruments for housing provision. The Government set local targets and used administrative controls to ensure that their plans were followed. Housing provision by local authorities only increased in the 1950s and by the 1970s local authorities accounted for the building of over 100,000 dwellings a year, as well as continuing slum clearance projects.

Corporation of London

The City Of London, together with City and Hackney Teaching Primary Care Trust and other partner agencies, provides health and community care services for all residents and employees across the Square Mile.

Corporation of London

Charitable giving is embedded in religious practice. In the early Middle Ages the Christian Church encouraged the wealthy to contribute to poor relief funds and the building of institutions which cared for the sick and aged. Later, monasteries took over the care of the poor in the distribution of alms and establishment of hospitals. Money was given with the afterlife in mind, in the hope that good works in this life would reap rewards in the next. In the later Middle Ages charity was not limited to the ecclesiastic, as guilds provided relief for their members, and individuals endowed schools and hospitals, fed prisoners, supported scholars and built bridges. Charity continued to become increasingly secular into the Tudor period. The government replaced monasteries with almshouses and houses of correction and made parishes responsible for the poor in their area. However, the poor-rate was levied only in times of great emergency: individual philanthropy undertook the main burden of social welfare and this continued to be the case until the twentieth century.

Abuses in the administration of charity were common despite the Statute of Charitable Uses (1601) which empowered Chancery to investigate the way charities and charitable trusts were managed. From 1818 onwards various regional commissions were set up to register charities and bring to the attention of the Attorney-General any which merited investigation. This exercise made obvious the need for a permanent body to oversee the administration of charities, which led to the creation of the Charity Commission in 1853. The Commission had full powers of investigation including the right to audit accounts. By the later nineteenth century changing societal needs led to the introduction of legislation allowing the terms of charitable trusts to be re-written. This legislation included the City of London Parochial Charities Act of 1883, which extended the scope of the hundreds of trusts in the City to include the Metropolis as a whole and enabled them to be applied to the general physical, social and moral condition of its poorer inhabitants.

The Corporation of London has long been associated with charity and charitable giving. The Corporation owned or maintained several hospitals, workhouses, schools, orphanages and almshouses. In addition, charitable funds have been created and maintained both for emergency relief (such as after a natural disaster or conflict) or as long term funds in support of various causes (such as support for education or the elderly).

Corporation of London

The Port of London comprised a stretch of the River Thames from Teddington Lock in Surrey to the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, including all streams, channels, creeks, harbours and docks within these limits. The Port Health Authority was concerned with the health and hygiene of ship's crews and passengers; the control of infectious diseases; the running of the Port Isolation Hospital at Denton, Gravesend, Kent; the disinfection of vessels and control of onboard rodents and pests; the inspection of imported foodstuffs, particularly shellfish; the registration and inspection of canal boats and rodent control at docks.

The Cleansing Department handles the disposal of all household and commercial waste generated within the City.

The City of London runs the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre (HARC) to carry out its main statutory responsibilities under the Animal Health Act, 1981, this legislation incorporates Rabies controls and the Welfare of Animals During Transport Order 1997. The Heathrow Animal Reception Centre, formerly known as the Animal Quarantine Station, is part of the Veterinary Sector of the City of London's Environmental Services Directorate and has over the past 25 years established itself as a world leader in the care of animals during transport. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year receiving and caring for literally millions of animals of all types, including everything from tarantulas, cobras, race horses, tigers, cattle, cats and dogs and even baby elephants, the HARC has the facilities to cope with almost any animal.

Corporation of London

The Guildhall has had a library since 1425, founded as part of a bequest by Mayor Richard Whittington. However, in 1550 the books were removed by the Duke of Somerset for his palace in the Strand and all but one of the original books is now lost. The survivor is a late 13th century Latin Bible. In 1828 a new Guildhall Library was established with the remit to collect material relating to the history and topography of the City of London, Southwark and Middlesex, including prints and drawings. This library was quite small and was rebuilt in 1873. In 1940 the library was hit by enemy action and 25,000 volumes were lost to the subsequent fire, with thousands more affected by water damage.

The collection is now of designated national and international importance and strengths include works on the history of London, English law reports, wine and food (including the Elizabeth David Collection), clocks and clockmakers (including the library of the Clockmaker's Guild), business history, marine history (material deposited by Lloyds of London), The Gardeners' Company collection (historic books on gardening), The Fletchers' Company collection (books on archery), the Gresham College collection (17th and 18th century music and early travel and exploration), the Cock Collection (material on Sir Thomas More), the Charles Lamb Society collection, the Chapman Bequest (19th century plays), the Hamilton Bequest (18th and 19th century plays), the Pepys Collection (Samuel Pepys) and a collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century books on shorthand.

Corporation of London

The early growth of the art collection belonging to the Corporation of London was linked to the ceremonial functions of the City. In 1670 the Corporation commissioned portraits of the Chief Judges of England who assessed property claims after the Great Fire in 1666. Portraits of the Royal family and City officials followed. In 1783 a more ambitious project was commissioned, a canvas 18x24 feet in size showing the British garrison at Gibraltar resisting a Spanish and French siege. Ten years later the first gift to the collection came from Alderman John Boydell, who donated 24 oil paintings to the Corporation, including portraits, narrative works and paintings of mayoralty ceremonies. By 1872 the collection numbered over 180 items and it was realised that the collection had a size and importance on a national level that made care and maintenance important. In 1879 the works were placed in the care of a Curator and exhibitions were held in Skinners' Hall. The popularity of these exhibitions led the Corporation to make the disused Law Courts at the Guildhall into a permanent exhibition space. The Guildhall Art Gallery was opened in 1886 and was enlarged in 1890 and 1901. By 1910 the Gallery held 891 items, and in addition the Corporation had voted to provide a purchase fund so that the Gallery could actively acquire pieces rather than wait for donations.

In 1941 the Gallery was destroyed in an air raid. Most of the collection had been sent to safe storage in the countryside, but some works were lost. A temporary structure was established although this was too small to display much of the collection and was used for short-term exhibitions. Other paintings were displayed in Corporation buildings such as Mansion House and the Central Criminal Court. A semi-permanent exhibition was established in the new Barbican Art Gallery during the 1980s. As early as 1963 plans had been made to rebuild a permanent gallery next to the Guildhall but financial restrictions meant that the new gallery was not completed until 1999. The Gallery now displays around 250 paintings in its permanent display and mounts temporary exhibitions on a variety of topics and themes. The Roman amphitheatre discovered on the site during the building works is incorporated into the Art Gallery building and can be viewed there.

Corporation of London

The Guildhall has had a library since 1425, founded as part of a bequest by Mayor Richard Whittington. However, in 1550 the books were removed by the Duke of Somerset for his palace in the Strand and all but one of the original books is now lost. The survivor is a late 13th century Latin Bible. In 1828 a new Guildhall Library was established with the remit to collect material relating to the history and topography of the City of London, Southwark and Middlesex, including prints and drawings. This library was quite small and was rebuilt in 1873. In 1940 the library was hit by enemy action and 25,000 volumes were lost to the subsequent fire, with thousands more affected by water damage.

The collection is now of designated national and international importance and strengths include works on the history of London, English law reports, wine and food (including the Elizabeth David Collection), clocks and clockmakers (including the library of the Clockmaker's Guild), business history, marine history (material deposited by Lloyds of London), The Gardeners' Company collection (historic books on gardening), The Fletchers' Company collection (books on archery), the Gresham College collection (17th and 18th century music and early travel and exploration), the Cock Collection (material on Sir Thomas More), the Charles Lamb Society collection, the Chapman Bequest (19th century plays), the Hamilton Bequest (18th and 19th century plays), the Pepys Collection (Samuel Pepys) and a collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century books on shorthand.

Corporation of London

The Guildhall Museum was founded in 1826 by the Corporation of London when the Common Council instructed the Library Committee to provide a suitable place for the reception of antiquities relating to the City of London. No adequate space was provided for display until 1873 when the new Library building was constructed with provision for a museum space. During the Second World War the collections were evacuated. After the war a small room was allocated for the display of museum objects. Most of the objects in the museum came from archaeological excavations within the City, including Roman and Medieval finds. Other objects relevant to the history of the City were also displayed such as livery companies' plate, City seals, medals of civic entertainments, presentation swords, ceremonial staffs and regalia, tradesmen's tokens, watches and clocks belonging to the Clockmakers' Company and playing cards belonging to the Company of Makers of Playing Cards.

In 1975 the London Museum in Kensington and the Guildhall Museum merged to form The Museum of London, housed in the new Barbican complex. The clocks belonging to the Clockmakers' Company are still on display at Guildhall near the Library.

Corporation of London

The building of Mansion House was first considered after the Great Fire of London in 1666, but the first stone was not laid until 1739 after much discussion over the selection of the site, the design and the architect. Sir Crispin Gascoigne was the first Lord Mayor to take up residence, in 1752. A fashionable Palladian style with a large classical portico was chosen by the City's Clerk of Works, George Dance the Elder. Built around a central courtyard it contained a cellar, a ground floor for the servants and the kitchen, a grand first floor of offices, dining and reception rooms, including the Egyptian Hall where banquets were held, a second floor with a gallery for dancing and chambers for the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, and a third floor of bedchambers.

The Egyptian Hall is so named because its form was thought to replicate the dining halls used in Egypt during the Roman period, with giant columns supporting a narrower attic area. Reconstructions of such became very fashionable in the 18th century. However, there is nothing Egyptian about the decoration, which is classical in style. Although Mansion House retains much of its original character, there have been changes - one of the most important of which was the covering of the internal courtyard to form what is now known as the Saloon to provide a large reception area.

During its life the house has undergone a number of extensive repair programmes. The most recent was the refurbishment work of 1991-3, when structural repair, careful conservation and complete redecoration were carried out. The result was well received and won a number of conservation awards. Mansion House was originally intended to enable the Lord Mayor to represent the City in appropriate style, and it continues to fulfil this function more than two centuries later.

In 1932 the Officers' and Clerks' Committee was asked to consider the best means to be adopted at the Mansion House for the better keeping of records relating to each mayoralty. It recommended the appointment of an assistant (Alice Shaw) on the permanent staff in the Private Secretary's Office. This may be the explanation for the survival of Mansion House Papers from the 1930s onwards (in contrast with the paucity of records before this date).

Corporation of London

The first recorded Mayor of London was Henry Fitz-Ailwyn in 1189. Since then, some 700 men and one woman have over the centuries held the position of chief officer of the City of London. The most famous of them all is Dick Whittington, who held office three times, in 1397, 1406 and 1419. Contrary to popular belief, Dick Whittington was not a poor, ill-treated orphan who managed against all the odds to work his way up to Lord Mayor. Coming from a wealthy family, Richard Whittington had a successful business and civic career before he became Lord Mayor. As for the black cat which supposedly helped him found his fortune, no-one is quite sure how this part of the myth grew up! The fact is that Dick Whittington carved out a successful business career in a very practical way as a mercer (dealer in costly fabrics such as silk), wool merchant and royal financier.

The Lord Mayor has throughout the centuries played a vital role in the life of the City of London and continues to do so today. In the City, the Lord Mayor ranks immediately after the sovereign and acts as the capital's host in Guildhall and Mansion House, his official residence. On behalf of the City and the nation he carries out numerous engagements at home and abroad. Although in former years a person could become Lord Mayor as many times as the electorate would vote him in - Dick Whittington being such an example - nowadays one year of such demanding activity is considered enough.

The right of citizens to elect their own Mayor dates from the Charter granted by King John to the City in 1215. The election of Lord Mayor is held at the end of September each year in Guildhall. The assembly, known as Common Hall, consists of all liverymen of at least one year's standing together with certain high officers of the City. All aldermen who have served the office of sheriff and who have not already been Lord Mayor are eligible.

Corporation of London

The first recorded Mayor of London was Henry Fitz-Ailwyn in 1189. Since then, some 700 men and one woman have over the centuries held the position of chief officer of the City of London. The most famous of them all is Dick Whittington, who held office three times, in 1397, 1406 and 1419. Contrary to popular belief, Dick Whittington was not a poor, ill-treated orphan who managed against all the odds to work his way up to Lord Mayor. Coming from a wealthy family, Richard Whittington had a successful business and civic career before he became Lord Mayor. As for the black cat which supposedly helped him found his fortune, no-one is quite sure how this part of the myth grew up! The fact is that Dick Whittington carved out a successful business career in a very practical way as a mercer (dealer in costly fabrics such as silk), wool merchant and royal financier.

The Lord Mayor has throughout the centuries played a vital role in the life of the City of London and continues to do so today. In the City, the Lord Mayor ranks immediately after the sovereign and acts as the capital's host in Guildhall and Mansion House, his official residence. On behalf of the City and the nation he carries out numerous engagements at home and abroad. Although in former years a person could become Lord Mayor as many times as the electorate would vote him in - Dick Whittington being such an example - nowadays one year of such demanding activity is considered enough.

The right of citizens to elect their own Mayor dates from the Charter granted by King John to the City in 1215. The election of Lord Mayor is held at the end of September each year in Guildhall. The assembly, known as Common Hall, consists of all liverymen of at least one year's standing together with certain high officers of the City. All aldermen who have served the office of sheriff and who have not already been Lord Mayor are eligible.

The Lord Mayor's household includes staff based at Mansion House, such as the Private Secretary, Researcher, Speechwriter, Events Manager and Keeper of the House.

Corporation of London

Mansion House is unique as the only purpose-built home of the Lord Mayor of the City of London, providing not only living and working space for the Lord Mayor and his household but also room for large ceremonial entertainments and banquets.

The building of Mansion House was first considered after the Great Fire of London in 1666, but the first stone was not laid until 1739 after much discussion over the selection of the site, the design and the architect. Sir Crispin Gascoigne was the first Lord Mayor to take up residence, in 1752. A fashionable Palladian style with a large classical portico was chosen by the City's Clerk of Works, George Dance the Elder. Built around a central courtyard it contained a cellar, a ground floor for the servants and the kitchen, a grand first floor of offices, dining and reception rooms, including the Egyptian Hall where banquets were held, a second floor with a gallery for dancing and chambers for the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, and a third floor of bedchambers.

The Egyptian Hall is so named because its form was thought to replicate the dining halls used in Egypt during the Roman period, with giant columns supporting a narrower attic area. Reconstructions of such became very fashionable in the 18th century. However, there is nothing Egyptian about the decoration, which is classical in style. Although Mansion House retains much of its original character, there have been changes - one of the most important of which was the covering of the internal courtyard to form what is now known as the Saloon to provide a large reception area.

During its life the house has undergone a number of extensive repair programmes. The most recent was the refurbishment work of 1991-3, when structural repair, careful conservation and complete redecoration were carried out. The result was well received and won a number of conservation awards. Mansion House was originally intended to enable the Lord Mayor to represent the City in appropriate style, and it continues to fulfil this function more than two centuries later.

Corporation of London

The City of London employs various Officers to conduct its business and oversee its administrative and legal functions. The Officers report to the relevant Committee or Department, while the Officers and Clerks Committee (later the Establishment Committee) is responsible for all questions relating to the duties, appointments, salaries and rewards of all Corporation staff, apart from manual workers.

Officers of the City of London include Attorneys; Bailiffs; the Chamberlain; the City Marshal and Under Marshal; the Clerk of the Peace; the Clerk of the Works; the Clerk Sitter; the Commissioner of Peace; the Common Cryer; the Common Pleader; the Common Serjeant; the Comptroller; the Coroner; the Hallkeeper; Coal Meters; Tackle-House and Ticket Porters; Registrars; the Recorder; the Remembrancer; the Secondary; the Solicitor; the Superintendent of Isle of Dogs; the Sword Bearer; the Town Clerk; the Water bailiff; the City Architect and Surveyor; the Clerk of Auditors' Accounts; the Clerk of the Common Council; the Clerks and Collectors of the Markets; Collectors of rents and duties; Judges; Librarians and Prothonotaries.

Corporation of London

Public health responsibilities in the City of London were undertaken by the Court of Commissioners of Sewers from 1667. The Commissioners of Sewers undertook the construction of sewers and drains and the paving, cleansing and lighting of the City streets following the Great Fire. In 1897 the responsibilities of the Commissioners of Sewers were transferred to the new Public Health Department and Committee under the City of London Sewers Act. Through the Medical Officer of Health the Department considered social and environmental influences affecting City health and learned of medical advances which could be applied to the benefit of the community. Until 1946 the Department administered and financed a Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic and Tuberculosis Clinic at St Bartholomew's Hospital, and until 1948 ran a drop-in clinic for the treatment of venereal disease. The Department acted as the Burial Board for the City of London including management of the cemetery and crematorium at Ilford.

The Public Health Department also included Slaughterhouse and Meat Inspectors who ensured the quality of meat for sale. Similar officers also tested the quality of milk, ice cream, tinned foods, fruit, margarine and shellfish. Dealers and manufacturers of foodstuffs were registered with the Department. Investigations into outbreaks of food poisoning and the inspection of bakeries, restaurants and pub kitchens were also undertaken by the Department. Further environmental hygiene activities included sanitation, ventilation, drainage, overcrowding, offensive trades, nuisances, smoke abatement and inspection of shops, factories, lodging houses and Corporation owned housing. Measures to prevent atmospheric pollution were also considered by the Department and monitoring of pollution in the City was begun. The staff also included a Rodent Officer who inspected premises and investigated complaints of rodent infestation, and a Coroner whose duties included fire inquests.

The Public Health Department is now called the Environmental Services Department and is responsible for many of the same duties, including the cemetery and crematorium, surveying, food inspection, pest control, pollution control, highways management, waste disposal, Port of London Health and the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre.

Corporation of London

Public health responsibilities in the City of London were undertaken by the Court of Commissioners of Sewers from 1667. The Commissioners of Sewers undertook the construction of sewers and drains and the paving, cleansing and lighting of the City streets following the Great Fire. In 1897 the responsibilities of the Commissioners of Sewers were transferred to the new Public Health Department and Committee under the City of London Sewers Act. Through the Medical Officer of Health the Department considered social and environmental influences affecting City health and learned of medical advances which could be applied to the benefit of the community. Until 1946 the Department administered and financed a Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic and Tuberculosis Clinic at St Bartholomew's Hospital, and until 1948 ran a drop-in clinic for the treatment of venereal disease. The Department acted as the Burial Board for the City of London including management of the cemetery and crematorium at Ilford.

The Public Health Department also included Slaughterhouse and Meat Inspectors who ensured the quality of meat for sale. Similar officers also tested the quality of milk, ice cream, tinned foods, fruit, margarine and shellfish. Dealers and manufacturers of foodstuffs were registered with the Department. Investigations into outbreaks of food poisoning and the inspection of bakeries, restaurants and pub kitchens were also undertaken by the Department. Further environmental hygiene activities included sanitation, ventilation, drainage, overcrowding, offensive trades, nuisances, smoke abatement and inspection of shops, factories, lodging houses and Corporation owned housing. Measures to prevent atmospheric pollution were also considered by the Department and monitoring of pollution in the City was begun. The staff also included a Rodent Officer who inspected premises and investigated complaints of rodent infestation, and a Coroner whose duties included fire inquests.

The Public Health Department is now called the Environmental Services Department and is responsible for many of the same duties, including the cemetery and crematorium, surveying, food inspection, pest control, pollution control, highways management, waste disposal, Port of London Health and the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre.

Corporation of London

The collection of plans held by the Corporation of London includes architectural plans and drawings of buildings funded from City's Cash and Bridge House, such as the City Bridges, Bridge House properties, estate maps, markets, prisons, important civic buildings within City Lands Estate and street improvements, plans relating to local government functions such as licensing plans for shops and public houses, stopping up orders, walkway declarations, byelaws and building control. The plans also include Corporation property and those buildings and streets which have been subject to the statutory duties of the Corporation at any time.

Corporation of London

The improvement of the streets, the location of trades, markets and common or open spaces and the regulation of buildings have always been within the purview of the Corporation of London and the Court of Commissioners of Sewers in particular. After the Great Fire an Act of Common Council of 1667 declared what streets were to be widened and to what proportions. Improvement Committees were appointed by the Common Council throughout the nineteenth century and the construction of Holborn Viaduct, King William Street, Cannon Street, Tower Bridge, Charterhouse Street, Princes Street, Moorgate, St Martins-le-Grand and numerous street widenings constituted a gradual replanning. Towards the end of the nineteenth century the City cooperated with the Metropolitan Board of Works and later with the London County Council in improvements such as the Victoria Embankment and Queen Victoria Street.

In 1932 the Corporation was constituted the authority in the City of London for implementing the provisions of the Town and Country Planning Acts. A town planning scheme was prepared but the outbreak of war in 1939 delayed the continuation of the plan. The extensive damage caused by enemy action during the Second World War facilitated more ambitious schemes, under the direction of the Improvements and Town Planning Committee who managed the Town Planning Department. The post-war plan aimed to improve office and warehouse buildings, improve traffic flows, preserve and improve sites of historic and architectural importance, provide more open space and pedestrian circulation and to improve car parking provision.

The Planning Department is now the Department of Planning and Transportation.

Corporation of London

A recognizance was a bond or obligation, entered into and recorded before a court or magistrate, by which a person engaged himself to perform some act or observe some condition (for example, to appear when called on, to pay a debt, or to keep the peace). It can also refer to a sum of money pledged as a surety for such performance and rendered forfeit by neglect of it.

These recognizances were created under the terms of the statute of Acton Burnel and the Statute of Merchants (1283-1285), which regulated and improved the legal processes of debt collection. The recognizances were duly authenticated and enrolled before the local "Keeper of the Merchant's Seal" (in the case of London, the Mayor and a clerk specially designated by the King), and thus were documents of legal record, accepted by the judicial authorities as the final and incontrovertible proof of the authenticity of a debt. They were therefore of great benefit to creditors and provided the warrant for immediate and drastic action against defaulters, including imprisonment and seizure of property.

Some of the entries include recognizances by non-Londoners, lists of witnesses to the recognizance and the cause of the entry (e.g. the purchase of wool). Later rolls include dating by day of the month rather than feast day and include more English phrases. Their character is mainly mercantile.

Corporation of London

The Office of Remembrancer was instituted in 1571. The traditional role is as the channel of communications between the City of London on the one hand and the Sovereign, Royal Household and Parliament on the other. The Remembrancer is also the City's Ceremonial Officer and Chief of Protocol.

The Remembrancer's department at the City of London is broken into three distinct branches of work - parliamentary, ceremonial and private events. The parliamentary office is responsible for looking after the City of London's interests in Parliament with regard to all public legislation, while the ceremonial office's objectives are to enable the Lord Mayor and City of London to welcome high profile visitors both domestically and internationally. Finally, the private events team co-ordinate the hiring of the Guildhall for private banquets, receptions or conferences.

Corporation of London

Files relating to various individuals connected to the history of the Corporation of London, collected during the course of normal business and used for reference purposes.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff is of greater antiquity than any other in the City of London and is mentioned in Anglo Saxon laws of the seventh century. The Sheriffs, alongside Wicreves and Portreeves, exercised the King's authority over the citizens, collected royal revenue and enforced royal justice. Henry I granted the City the right to choose their own Sheriff in 1132, together with the right to choose the Sheriff of Middlesex. The two sheriffs held office jointly as the Sheriffs of London and Middlesex. The right to appoint the Middlesex sheriff was lost in 1888, although the City continued to elect two sheriffs for the City of London. At the same date the fee formerly payable to the Exchequer was redeemed by the Corporation so that all estate and interest in the office of Sheriff belonged to the Corporation and all fees from the shrievalty were received by the City. At first sheriffs were elected on St Matthew's Day (21 September) but it was advanced to 1 August in 1538 and later to Midsummer Day. The office was held for a year and no person who had served as sheriff once was eligible to serve again. In 1385 the Common Council stipulated that every Mayor must first serve as Sheriff to test his suitability for the post.

The sheriffs were expected to attend the Lord Mayor in the discharge of his official functions and to join him in works of charity and at events. They attended the Courts of Aldermen and Common Council as well as Common Hall and the Court of Husting. They were Execution Officers at the Central Criminal Court and had to be in attendance to carry out directions given by the Judges. They also had to attend the Sessions to see the Judges into Court, and be present when a capital sentence was passed. The sheriff was also required to wait upon the Sovereign and ascertain the royal will and pleasure as to the reception of addresses from the Corporation. The sheriff also presented petitions from the Corporation to the House of Commons.

The modern sheriffs are elected on Midsummer's Day (24 June) by the City livery companies. Their duties remain similar to those of their historical predecessors, including attending the Lord Mayor in carrying out his official duties, attending the sessions at the Central Criminal Court in the Old Bailey and presenting petitions from the City to Parliament at the Bar at the House of Commons.

Corporation of London

Files relating to various subjects regarding the organisation and history of the Corporation of London collected during the course of normal business and used for reference purposes.

Corporation of London

Files relating to various places connected to the organisation and history of the Corporation of London, collected during the course of normal business and used for reference purposes.

Corporation of London

The City Surveyor is responsible for the construction and management of various City non-residential properties, including those properties belonging to Bridge House estates and City Lands estates.

Corporation of London

The City Surveyor is responsible for the construction and management of various City non-residential properties, including those properties belonging to Bridge House estates and City Lands estates.

The Surveyor's Approval Plans are a series of folders containing plans, and sometimes supporting correspondence and specifications of works associated with the Corporation's role as landlord to the City Lands and Bridge House Estates. The plans mostly relate to alterations or new building on the Bridge House and City Lands Estates which were submitted to the Bridge House and City Lands Committees respectively for approval and very occasionally to property adjoining the Corporation's estate over which the Corporation enjoyed certain rights such as the right to light. The plans were drawn by the leasee's own architects and usually submitted with a covering letter to the relevant committee as part of their application for permission to redevelop or alter Corporation property. The application was studied by the City Architect who made a recommendation in a report to the committee to accept or reject the application. The report can usually be found in the relevant file of committee papers and the subsequent decision in the appropriate committee minutes. Occasionally the City Architect would recommend conditions and modifications to be imposed on the leasee's proposal and such conditions can sometimes found in the committee papers and in the committee files after 1958. Most of the plans submitted were for relatively minor alterations such as new room partitions, however many plans related to completely new buildings or major reconstructions of existing buildings. Most of the plans are signed and dated by the leasee's architects. Not all the proposed new building and alterations contained in the plans were carried out and sometimes this was annotated on the folder or on the plans themselves as well other facts such as the subsequent demolition or sale of the site.

Corporation of London

The office of Town Clerk can be traced back to 1274, when it was referred to as the office of Common Clerk. The Town Clerk was responsible for recording the minutes of the Common Council and all of its Committees as well as for general record keeping and administration.

In the present day, the Town Clerk and Chief Executive of the City of London has authority over all other City of London officers as is necessary for the efficient management and execution of the City of London's functions. He is also the City of London's principal advisor on matters of policy through the Policy and Resources Committee. The Town Clerk's department at the City of London is responsible for a number of areas of work, including servicing meetings of the Court of Common Council and Court of Aldermen, their committees, sub-committees and working parties. Other areas of work include taking responsibility for investigating complaints against the City of London from members of the public, acting as the Electoral Registration Officer and being responsible for the City of London's public relations, economic development and human resources.

Corporation of London

The office of Town Clerk can be traced back to 1274, when it was referred to as the office of Common Clerk. The Town Clerk was responsible for recording the minutes of the Common Council and all of its Committees as well as for general record keeping and administration.

In the present day, the Town Clerk and Chief Executive of the City of London has authority over all other City of London officers as is necessary for the efficient management and execution of the City of London's functions. He is also the City of London's principal advisor on matters of policy through the Policy and Resources Committee. The Town Clerk's department at the City of London is responsible for a number of areas of work, including servicing meetings of the Court of Common Council and Court of Aldermen, their committees, sub-committees and working parties. Other areas of work include taking responsibility for investigating complaints against the City of London from members of the public, acting as the Electoral Registration Officer and being responsible for the City of London's public relations, economic development and human resources.

Corporation of London

The Technical Services Department retains overall responsibility for many of the City of London's major construction and civil engineering projects. The Department includes the District Surveyor and the City Engineer. Both are concerned with building control and regulation, ensuring that all building work complies with the appropriate standards, that health and safety is not compromised and that the needs of people with disabilities are catered for.

The origins of building control date to 1667, when Parliament passed an Act for the rebuilding of London after the 1666 Great Fire. The Act set out to prevent a recurrence of the disaster and for the first time surveyors were appointed to ensure its requirements were not violated.

In the nineteenth century the District Surveyors Association was formed to ensure the uniformity and interpretation of building legislation throughout London, a role which continues to this day. Building Control today plays a major role in the realisation of a safe and healthy built environment and is a fundamental part of the overall success of modern construction within the City of London.

Corporation of London

The division of the City of London into wards is confirmed in the earliest written records and was considered fundamental to municipal organisation. The ward was an administrative division of the City and each ward was managed by an Alderman. In 1206 the total number of wards was recorded as 24, although by 1550 this had increased to 26 with the division of Farringdon into two wards and the addition of Bridge Without covering the area of Southwark. In the present day there are 25 wards. Each ward held a court called the Wardmote which had a wide jurisdiction for the preservation of the peace and had the power to inflict appropriate punishments. A synopsis of civic regulations was read annually at the Wardmote and a special inquest jury was appointed to report on breaches of regulation, unlicensed victuallers, defective weights, fraudulent traders and other complaints of the inhabitants of the ward. Gradually the municipality took over many of these duties and election of officers became the major concern of the Wardmote, although local problems can still be brought to the attention of the Court of Aldermen.

Wardmotes are held annually for the constitutents of a ward to meet their representative, raise concerns and ask questions. Elections for Common Councilmen are held every 4 years.

The 25 wards of the City of London are: Aldersgate, Aldgate, Bassishaw, Billingsgate, Bishopsgate, Bread Street, Bridge, Broad Street, Candlewick, Castle Baynard, Cheap, Coleman Street, Cordwainer, Cornhill, Cripplegate, Dowgate, Farringdon Within, Farringdon Without, Langbourn, Lime Street, Portsoken, Queenhithe, Tower, Vintry and Walbrook.

Corporation of London

The Corporation of London also acts through its officers, some of whose offices originate in the medieval period. The earliest known holders of the office of Town Clerk (now the Chief Executive) and the Chamberlain (the chief financial officer), for example, both date from the 13th century although the offices themselves may date from the 12th century. Others, such as that of the Comptroller and City Solicitor (the head of the legal department), result from the amalgamation of different offices originating from medieval and Elizabethan times.

The City Marshal acts as the peacekeeper to the Lord Mayor of London, leads processions and represents the Lord Mayor at all Entries of Troops into the City.

The Swordbearer is a ceremonial role dating back to 1420; and is the most senior of the Lord Mayor's three personal staff officers. The Swordbearer supervises the protocol of ceremonial events, wearing a fur hat which was known as Cap of Maintenance and carrying the Lord Mayor's Sword of State which dates to 15th century.

Corporation of London

Holborn Viaduct was begun in 1863 and finished in 1869; designed by William Heywood, the City Surveyor. It bridged the valley of the Fleet river and connected Holborn with Newgate Street. As part of the construction, Holborn Circus, Charterhouse Street and St Andrew's Street were also built.

Holloway Prison was built by the Corporation of London as the City House of Correction for men and women. It was opened in 1852. The prison was taken over by the government in 1877. It become female only in 1903 and was well known for the imprisonment of suffragettes and for internments during the Second World War.

The prison finally closed in 2016.

The Charity was incorporated by charter dated 1 July 1678, at the instigation of a group of loyalist Anglicans who were concerned to alleviate the lot of needy dependants of Anglican clergy who had suffered for their orthodoxy during the time of the Commonwealth. The incorporation marked a stage in the consolidation of charitable efforts directed to that end, and the primary class to benefit from the activities of the Corporation were the widows of sequestered clergy. Formally named "The Charity for the Relief of poor Widows and Children of Clergymen", the Corporation gradually came to extend its benevolence more widely within that general heading as the years passed.

The popular title "Sons of the Clergy" is an indication of the large proportion of sons of clergymen who were active in the Charity, but also probably shows a sense of "pietas" felt by orthodox laity toward the faithful clergy. The phrase was inherited from the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy.

The Corporation and the Festival: The circle of Anglicans whose efforts led to the incorporation of the Charity had for many years previously been pursuing the aims formulated in the Charter of 1678 by means of the annual Festival of the Sons of the Clergy. This enabled the raising of money at a solemn service, held in a prominent church in the Capital, and a grand feast to follow, at which the liberal benefactions of the wealthy were solicited. The origins of the Festival are obscure, the first extant Sermon preached on such an occasion being dated 1655.

The Festival, with its organisers and administrators, must be regarded as the parent of the Corporation. No doubt practical experience showed the creation of a Corporation to be the best means of ensuring orderliness and continuity in the administration of such a Charity. If the annual benevolence of the Festival attracted offers of endowment by estates, which would yield a regular and permanent income, the creation of a body corporate would be the only way of avoiding the tiresome necessity of continual renewal of trustees to make up for depletions by death. It was just this legal difficulty which led eventually to the vesting in the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy of a number of private charities with similar objects. One such was Palmer's Charity, which brought the Corporation some lands in rural Holloway; and these with the growth of London, became the Corporation's principal landed estate.

The purchase of estates was, indeed, one of the early concerns of the Charity, once incorporated, and its landed interests eventually came to extend over many parts of England and Wales.

The Festival, with its Stewards & Secretary, and the Corporation, with its Court of Assistants and Registrar, continued as separate, though closely linked, entities, and the same people were often active in both. The funds raised at the Festival were administered separately until in the 1830's they were handed over to the Corporation to administer though still as a separate fund.

The Organisation of the Corporation: The Charter of Incorporation, whose text was copied out at the beginning of more than one Court Book, lays down the organisation of the Charity which it has retained ever since, and which still continues to function. The Corporation consists of a large number of Governors who meet at a General Court held on the second Thursday in each November. The first Governors, men of substance and standing, were nominated by Charter, and all subsequent appointments were made at the General Court.

The Charter also nominated the first Court of Assistants, composed of a President, Vice-President, three Treasurers and 42 Assistants. This court is responsible for the conduct of business of the Charity, it meets at varying intervals throughout the year, and appointments to it lie with the Governors.

At the first meeting of the Court of Assistants on 15th July 1678, choice was made of a Register, later called Registrar, to be the principal permanent official of the Corporation. Unlike the abovementioned officers, the Register received payment for his services, which required legal knowledge, and approximated to the functions of a general secretary and solicitor.

Amongst other minor officials was the Messenger, who convened meetings and probably at times acted as a rent collector. There was never a large staff of permanent officials. Unlike the Messenger, the Registrar still continues to function at the head of the permanent administration.

There seems to have been a permanent accountant at least since 1726, but this official is less easy to trace in the records. Apart from the Treasurers' Accounts, the Ledger of 1771 is the first survivor of any series of financial records. Before 1726 this work seems to have been in the hands of a Committee for Methodizing the Books.

Various Committees were appointed from time to time, but in the 17th and 18th centuries they generally give an impression of informality, and were often appointed ad hoc. It was not until about 1840 that any considerable reorganisation took place within the Corporation, and at that time the three principal permanent Committees of Estates, Finance & Petitions were formed.

The Charity was incorporated by charter dated 1 July 1678, at the instigation of a group of loyalist Anglicans who were concerned to alleviate the lot of needy dependants of Anglican clergy who had suffered for their orthodoxy during the time of the Commonwealth. The incorporation marked a stage in the consolidation of charitable efforts directed to that end, and the primary class to benefit from the activities of the Corporation were the widows of sequestered clergy. Formally named "The Charity for the Relief of poor Widows and Children of Clergymen", the Corporation gradually came to extend its benevolence more widely within that general heading as the years passed.

The popular title "Sons of the Clergy" is an indication of the large proportion of sons of clergymen who were active in the Charity, but also probably shows a sense of "pietas" felt by orthodox laity toward the faithful clergy. The phrase was inherited from the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy.

The Corporation and the Festival: The circle of Anglicans whose efforts led to the incorporation of the Charity had for many years previously been pursuing the aims formulated in the Charter of 1678 by means of the annual Festival of the Sons of the Clergy. This enabled the raising of money at a solemn service, held in a prominent church in the Capital, and a grand feast to follow, at which the liberal benefactions of the wealthy were solicited. The origins of the Festival are obscure, the first extant Sermon preached on such an occasion being dated 1655.

The Festival, with its organisers and administrators, must be regarded as the parent of the Corporation. No doubt practical experience showed the creation of a Corporation to be the best means of ensuring orderliness and continuity in the administration of such a Charity. If the annual benevolence of the Festival attracted offers of endowment by estates, which would yield a regular and permanent income, the creation of a body corporate would be the only way of avoiding the tiresome necessity of continual renewal of trustees to make up for depletions by death. It was just this legal difficulty which led eventually to the vesting in the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy of a number of private charities with similar objects. One such was Palmer's Charity, which brought the Corporation some lands in rural Holloway; and these with the growth of London, became the Corporation's principal landed estate.

The purchase of estates was, indeed, one of the early concerns of the Charity, once incorporated, and its landed interests eventually came to extend over many parts of England and Wales.

The Festival, with its Stewards and Secretary, and the Corporation, with its Court of Assistants and Registrar, continued as separate, though closely linked, entities, and the same people were often active in both. The funds raised at the Festival were administered separately until in the 1830's they were handed over to the Corporation to administer though still as a separate fund.

The Organisation of the Corporation: The Charter of Incorporation, whose text was copied out at the beginning of more than one Court Book, lays down the organisation of the Charity which it has retained ever since, and which still continues to function. The Corporation consists of a large number of Governors who meet at a General Court held on the second Thursday in each November. The first Governors, men of substance and standing, were nominated by Charter, and all subsequent appointments were made at the General Court.

The Charter also nominated the first Court of Assistants, composed of a President, Vice-President, three Treasurers and 42 Assistants. This court is responsible for the conduct of business of the Charity, it meets at varying intervals throughout the year, and appointments to it lie with the Governors.

At the first meeting of the Court of Assistants on 15th July 1678, choice was made of a Register, later called Registrar, to be the principal permanent official of the Corporation. Unlike the abovementioned officers, the Register received payment for his services, which required legal knowledge, and approximated to the functions of a general secretary and solicitor.

Amongst other minor officials was the Messenger, who convened meetings and probably at times acted as a rent collector. There was never a large staff of permanent officials. Unlike the Messenger, the Registrar still continues to function at the head of the permanent administration.

There seems to have been a permanent accountant at least since 1726, but this official is less easy to trace in the records. Apart from the Treasurers' Accounts, the Ledger of 1771 is the first survivor of any series of financial records. Before 1726 this work seems to have been in the hands of a Committee for Methodizing the Books.

Various Committees were appointed from time to time, but in the 17th and 18th centuries they generally give an impression of informality, and were often appointed ad hoc. It was not until about 1840 that any considerable reorganisation took place within the Corporation, and at that time the three principal permanent Committees of Estates, Finance and Petitions were formed.

Corporation of Trinity House

The Corporation of Trinity House was incorporated by royal charter in 1514. There is a tradition which dates the existence of Trinity House from the thirteenth century but there is no firm evidence to support this. When the charter was granted, Trinity House had a hall and almshouses at Deptford. Premises were acquired in Ratcliff and Stepney in the seventeenth century and meetings were held at all three sites. The Corporation bought a property in Water Lane in the City of London in 1660 which they then used as their hall. The Hall at Water Lane twice burnt down and was rebuilt, in 1666 and 1714. When it proved too cramped for proposed improvements in the 1790s, the Corporation bought land at Tower Hill on which Trinity House was built 1793-6. The present building retains the 1790s facade but a bomb on 30 December 1940 destroyed most of the rest of the original building which was sympathetically rebuilt in 1952-3.

The Corporation of Trinity House has had three main functions for most of its history:
1) General Lighthouse Authority for England and Wales;
2) Principal Pilotage Authority for London and forty other districts;
3) Charitable organisation for the relief of mariners.
These three functions are described in more detail in the introductory notes to the lighthouse, pilotage and estates and charities records.

The Corporation of Trinity House has had many other functions, largely carried out by the Board of 10 Elder brethren. Elder brethren are elected (for life) from the pool of around 300 Younger brethren who are normally Merchant Navy captains, though a few Royal Navy officers are also admitted as Younger brothers. These other functions have included the supply of ballast to ships in the Thames; sitting in the Court of Admiralty to hear collision cases; examining Royal Naval navigation officers in pilotage; and the examination of Christ's Hospital mathematical scholars in navigation.

Thames watermen and other groups of river tradesmen had voluntarily formed associations of River Fencibles in 1798, the same year that the Corps of Sea Fencibles was established as a coastal home guard. The River Fencibles were officially established in 1803, and by 1804 had uniformed commissioned officers. Members of the London Corps in small boats escorted the barge carrying the body of Nelson along the Thames during his state funeral in 1806. The force was disbanded in 1813.

Thames watermen and other groups of river tradesmen had voluntarily formed associations of River Fencibles in 1798, the same year that the Corps of Sea Fencibles was established as a coastal home guard. Fencibles were service personnel liable only for defensive service, an early version of the Home Guard.

The River Fencibles were officially established in 1803, and by 1804 had uniformed commissioned officers. Members of the London Corps in small boats escorted the barge carrying the body of Nelson along the Thames during his state funeral in 1806. The force was disbanded in 1813.

Corrie MacColl and Son Limited was formed in 1919 to reconstitute Corrie MacColl and Company, a firm of produce dealers and agents originally registered in 1902. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112-001) invested in the Company in 1919, and Corrie MacColl & Son Limited took over Harrisons and Crosfield's rubber dealing and Eastern produce departments. Archibald MacGregor MacColl was on the board of Harrisons and Crosfield, 1919-25.

Born, 1924, educated at Sedbergh School, St Andrews and London Universities; served in the Royal Air Force (RAF), 1943-1947 after which he joined the Foreign Office; held posts in Singapore, 1950-1951, Tokyo, 1951-1954, 1961-1965, 1966-1970, Britain 1954-1958, 1965-1966, Bonn, 1958-1960, Royal College of Defence Studies, 1971-1972, and Washington, 1972-1975; appointed, 1975, Deputy Under-Secretary of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 1975-1980; and Ambassador to Japan, 1980-1984; after retiring from diplomatic service, Cortazzi held office as Director, Hill Samuel & Co., later Hill Samuel Bank, 1984-1991; Senior Adviser: NEC Corporation, Japan, 1992-; Dai-ichi Kangyo Bank, Japan, 1992-; Bank of Kyoto, 1992-; Wilde Sapte, solicitors, 1992-; PIFC Consulting Plc, 1993;; Director: Foreign and Colonial Pacific Trust, since 1984; GT Japan Investment Trust plc, since 1984; Thornton Pacific (formerly Pacific) Investment Trust, since 1986; Member of the Economic and Social Research Council, 1984-1989; President, Asiatic Society of Japan, 1982-83; Chairman of The Japan Society 1985-1995; Member of the Council and Court, Sussex University, 1985-1992; Hon. Fellow, Robinson College, Cambridge, 1988; Hon. Dr Stirling, 1988. Grand Cordon, Order of the Sacred Treasure (Japan), 1995; appointed GCMG 1984 (KCMG 1980; CMG 1969).

Publications: Translated from Japanese, Genji Keita: The Ogre and other stories of the Japanese Salarymen, 1972; The Guardian God of Golf and other humorous stories, 1972, reprinted as The Lucky One, 1980; (ed) Mary Crawford Fraser, A Diplomat's Wife in Japan: sketches at the turn of the century, 1982; Isles of Gold: antique maps of Japan, 1983; Higashi No Shimaguni, Nishi No Shimaguni (collection of articles and speeches in Japanese), 1984; Dr Willis in Japan, 1985; (ed) Mitford's Japan, 1985; Victorians in Japan: in and around the Treaty Ports, 1987; For Japanese students of English: Thoughts from a Sussex Garden (essays), 1984; Second Thoughts (essays), 1986; Japanese Encounter, 1987; Zoku, Higashi no Shimaguni, Nishi no Shimaguni, 1987; (ed with George Webb) Kipling's Japan, 1988; The Japanese Achievement: a short history of Japan and Japanese culture, 1990; (ed) A British Artist in Meiji Japan, by Sir Alfred East, 1991; (ed) Building Japan 1868-1876, by Richard Henry Brunton, 1991; (ed with Gordon Daniels) Britain and Japan 1859-1991, 1991; Themes and Personalities, 1991; Modern Japan: a concise survey, 1993; (ed with Terry Bennett) Caught in Time: Japan, 1995; articles on Japanese themes in English and Japanese publications.

Francis Newton sailed from Gravesend to Madeira in 1745 and began trading there, at first while employed as a bookkeeper but from 1747-1748 on his own account. In the 19th century his successors, Cossart, Gordon and Company, claimed the year of foundation as 1745 (see printed circular issued in 1867, in Ms 32992/151). The earliest document among the papers now held at Guildhall Library is dated 1749.

The company has traded under the following names: Francis Newton -1758; Newton and Gordon, 1758-77; Newton, Gordon and Johnston, 1777-91; Newton, Gordon and Murdoch, 1791-1801; Newton, Gordon, Murdoch and Company, 1802-5, Newton, Gordon, Murdoch and Scott, 1805-c 1833; Newton, Gordon, Murdoch and Company, c 1833-1839; Newton, Gordon, Cossart and Company, [1839-1864]; Cossart, Gordon and Company c 1864-1953; Cossart, Gordon and Cia. Lda 1953-

Although originally established in Madeira, from its earliest days the business maintained close links with London, and its principals were always British. In 1758 Francis Newton entered into partnership with Thomas Gordon. Newton returned from Madeira to London c 1767 (according to an account written in 1773, in Ms 32992/11) and thereafter appears to have acted in London as the company's senior partner. By the mid nineteenth century the company had a substantial presence in both London and Madeira, with a "London house" as well as the original "Madeira house". The "London house" traded as Webster Gordon, Cossart and Company in the 1840s, when it was based at 6 New Broad Street (1846). The name Cossart, Gordon and Company was used in London before it was used in Madeira, being applied to the London house from 1851. From c 1864, both houses traded under the same name.

The primary business of Cossart, Gordon and Company was the purchase of wine from local suppliers and its export to Britain, the United States, India and the West Indies. In the 18th and early 19th centuries it also traded in a range of other commodities such as cotton, soap, sugar, rice, grain, flour, meat, fish, fruit and dairy products. During the 19th century, however, as the demand for Madeira wines grew, Cossart, Gordon and Company withdrew from trading in general merchandise in order to concentrate on wines.

In 1913 a small group of Madeira wine shippers decided to work together and formed the Madeira Wine Association Limitada. The numbers in this group grew as the benefits of co-operation became clear. Cossart, Gordon and Company joined the Association as a partner in 1953. At the same time, the Madeira assets of the London company were put into a Portuguese company, Cossart, Gordon and Cia. Lda. which supplied the London company's requirements through the Madeira Wine Association (later the Madeira Wine Company).