Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Bedford College

'The Residence': Mrs Reid's home in Grenville Street housed early boarders attending Bedford College, until the purchase of 48 Bedford Square.

Bedford Square: The College opened at 47 Bedford Square in 1849. In 1860, Mrs Reid created a Trust for the Managers of the Residence to lease 48 Bedford Square for the use of boarders. The leases were given up on the move of the College to York Place.

York Place, Baker Street: Bedford College moved here in 1874. The Managers of the Residence leased Numbers 8 and 9, and though the College were their tenants for Number 8, the two houses acted as one, with the College using the downstairs rooms and the Residence the upstairs. The Managers passed the lease for both houses to the College Council in 1894. In 1889-1890, the Shaen Wing was built behind the York Place houses to create Physics and Chemistry laboratories. In 1896 10 York Place was leased to provide for Botany and Geology laboratories, a Training Department, a gymnasium, a Library extension and a Professors' Common Room. 7 York Place was leased in 1903. All the York Place leases were sold by 1915.

East Street: Running behind York Place, 64, 65 and 66 East Street were leased by the Managers of the Residence and held for Bedford College until the move to Regent's Park.

Regent's Park Site: Bedford College bought the lease to the South Villa Estate in 1908, and raised money for a new college through a Building and Endowment Fund. The existing house was maintained until after World War One, and from 1909 housed the Training Department and the Art School, and acted as a Residence for the boarders. Designed by the architect Basil Champneys, the new Bedford College was built 1910-1913, and included Reid and Shaen Halls of Residence, (later [1948-1950] renamed Reid Hall, with Shaen, Bostock and Oliver Wings), Oliver Dining Hall, South and North Science Blocks, the Arts and Administration Block, and the Tate Library. Several extensions were made to the original buildings. The Sargent Laboratory for Botany was opened in 1925, the Tuke Building, designed by Maxwell Ayrton, was completed in 1931 and included Inorganic and Physical Chemistry laboratories, an Observatory, space for the Departments of Philosophy, Psychology, Social Studies, Geography, Italian, French and German, lecture rooms, staff rooms, common rooms, Student Union rooms and a large hall, and the Tate Library was divided into two storeys in 1932. Following severe bombing during World War Two, Oliver Hall, the Arts and Administration Building and the North Science Block were practically destroyed. Rebuilding began immediately, and comprised a rebuilt Oliver Hall (1947-1949) with kitchens, refectory, common rooms and a Mathematics Department; a new arts building called the Herringham Building (1948-1951) housing a Hall, Council Room, and the Departments of Greek, Dutch and Latin; and the Darwin Building (1950-1952) to contain the Departments of Geology, Botany and Zoology. The South Science Block was renamed the Arthur Acland Building. Owing to the growth of the College, further extensions were made, such as additions to the Acland Building in the 1950s; the extension of Reid Hall to house a Common Room and Student's Union (1958-1959); the addition of a new wing and extra storey to the Tuke Building; the building of the Botany Garden Laboratories, 1965-1966; the four-storey extension of the Library known as the Jebb Building, 1962-1964; the rebuilding of the kitchens in 1967-1969; the Tuke-Darwin Infill Building in 1971; and the Wolfson Psychology Library, built over the kitchens in Oliver Hall.

Dorset Square: In 1915, 20 Dorset Square was taken as a hostel for 15 students (it was given up in 1924). Numbers 35 and 36 were acquired in 1918 to provide additional accommodation. In 1925, the buildings were extended further with the purchase of two more adjoining houses and the refurbishment of the premises to hold 60 students. The buildings were then named Notcutt House in memory of the former student and Librarian, Miss Rachel Notcutt. The Hall was damaged beyond repair by the 1941 bombing raids on London. The leases of 10, 11 and 12 Dorset Square were acquired in 1966 after money was received from an anonymous benefactor. Named Tennyson Hall, the building opened in 1968 as a residence for 50 male students.

Bedford College House: Three adjoining houses in Adamson Road and one house in Buckland Crescent were taken in 1919. These housed 37 students and were named Bedford College House in 1925. They formed the nucleus of a residential centre to which more houses were later added. Bedford College House was renamed Lindsell Hall in 1944. Various changes were made over the years so that by 1968 the buildings housed 87 students. During the 1969-1970 session male students were housed in part of the Hall in Buckland Crescent. It therefore became the first mixed Hall of Residence.

Hanover Lodge: The building stood in the Outer Circle of Regent's Park, and was leased in 1947 as a residence for 30 students. It was extended in 1962-1963 so that by the 1966-1967 session it provided accommodation for a total of 231 students. From 1970 the accommodation was made available for men and women.

Broadhurst Gardens: 15-26 Broadhurst Gardens were taken as a residence in 1945 to solve the accommodation problem caused by damage to buildings during World War Two. The six buildings housed 60 students and were kept until 1949.

The Holme: Another property taken as a result of bomb damage to College buildings, the Holme was leased from 1946. Situated in the Inner Circle, it housed the Departments of English, Classics and Italian, while the second floor became an extension of the College Residence. The lease was given up in 1975.

St John's Lodge: This building in the Inner Circle, just beyond The Holme, was leased in 1944-1946 to hold the English and Classics Departments. In 1959 it was leased again. At first it provided residential and Union accommodation and later housed the Departments of History, Greek and Latin. Alterations were made to it in 1962.

Nottingham Place: This building was acquired in 1951 and later renamed Rachel Notcutt Hall. It was reserved for women and accommodated 16-22 students. It was given up in 1984.

Bedford College Student's Association was founded in 1894 to represent both past and present students. The post of Senior Student was created by the Principal in 1894 to act as liaison between the Principal and the pupils, though the latter had no role in choosing their representative. By 1908, the workload of the Senior Student was so heavy that three aide de camps (one each for Arts, Science and the Training Department) were added, and to this group fell the responsibility for the good conduct of the students and the general organisation of student affairs. Following the creation in 1913 of the Bedford College Union Society, the office of Senior Student was retained and supplemented by a Treasurer, Secretary and a Committee of four members. The Senior Student was then elected by the whole body of members, with the Principal having a veto and the ability to put forward nominees. In 1922 the Senior Student assumed the title of President of the BCUS. By 1923 the present students were adequately represented by the Union, so the Bedford College Students' Association became responsible for former students only, becoming the Bedford College Old Students' Association. In 1963, its name was again changed, to the Bedford College Association. The Union, meanwhile, was responsible for all College Societies (except the Athletic Union and religious societies). Initially, not all students became members of the Union, until the problem of Union fees was solved by merging them with the fees for tuition, at which point membership became compulsory. By 1973, there was student representation on Bedford College Council.

Bedford College

The Bedford College Magazine was started in 1886, and became in 1894 the organ of the newly formed Bedford College Students' Association. Another early student magazine, The Magazine of Bedford Knowledge, was intended to be a light-hearted alternative. When in 1923 the Association became responsible solely for former students, the title was kept for a magazine for alumni. Present students were catered for with the Bedford College Union Magazine, which began in the same year (1923).

After a break (1941-1946) during World War Two, when the College was evacuated to Cambridge, the Bedford College Union Magazine was revived mainly as a literary magazine and given the title of The Unicorn, which it kept until 1965. Alongside this magazine ran a newssheet relating to events in the College, known successively as the Bedford News (1946-1961), the Inner Circular (1962-1982), and finally The Absorber (1981-1985), the last of which provided the students with details of the merger with Royal Holloway College.

Bedford College

Student societies began to emerge at Bedford College in the 1880s, and were actively encouraged by the first Principal, Emily Penrose, in order to increase the sense of community felt by the students. Types of society included subject-based academic groups, sporting societies such as the Boating Club, and political clubs. The Bedford College Union Society was created in 1913, and all the student societies except the Athletics Union and restricted societies (such as religious groups) came under its control. The Athletics Union, also formed in 1913, was responsible for sporting groups. Each society had its own set of rules (some even had magazines) and reported regularly in the College news sheet until World War Two. The number of student societies continued to increase, with 32 in 1936, 42 in the 1950s and 51 in 1980-1981. The Athletics Union ceased to exist as a separate body in 1969-1970, when it was replaced by a Sports Committee of the Bedford College Union Society.

The Bedford College Staff Association was founded in 1917, and brought together (on an irregular basis) all members of staff, both academic and administrative, to deliberate on matters of common interest. Later it became responsible for organising the Senior Common Room and a varying programme of social events, such as Christmas celebrations and the end of session Summer party. The Bedford College Assistant Staff Association was formed in 1918 to ensure that the Assistant Staff had a voice in various issues affecting the government of the College and their own status. Its meetings were few, however, due to the creation of the Association of University Teachers in the following year (1919), which had the same preoccupations. The AUT was founded for the 'advancement of University education and research, and the promotion of common action among University teachers and the safeguarding of the interests of its members'. The first Annual Meeting of the AUT was held at Bedford College in Jun 1920.

Bedford College

The original management structure of Bedford College was decided upon during 1849 by several provisional committees set up for the purpose, and comprised a Board, a Council with executive powers, a Ladies Committee and a Professors Committee. The College existed as a corporate body from 24 Sep 1849, when the last meeting of the provisional General Committee took place, though the Board never formally adopted the draft constitution. During the years 1863 to 1868, no legal charter for Bedford College existed, and though several drafts were made, the various sections of the College management failed to agree on a final version.

In 1868, Bedford College, on the insistence of the Reid Trustees, came under the control of a Committee of Management that framed a new Constitution, which came into effect in 1869. The College was incorporated as an Association under the Board of Trade, with Articles of Association setting out a new management structure consisting of a body of Members termed 'The College', which replaced The Board, and a new Council elected from amongst the Members of The College. The Articles also provided for a Board of Studies, formed of the Professors of Bedford College, and a Council of Lady Visitors. The Memorandum of Association set out the objects of the College, namely to provide a liberal education for young ladies, and also provided that no person would be ineligible to any office on religious grounds.

In 1891, two Extraordinary Meetings of The College agreed upon changes in the by-laws order to increase the Council from ten to twenty members and raise the membership of The College to two hundred. In 1895 the by-laws were again revised, this time allowing for the greater representation of the Staff in the management of Bedford College, and the creation of a Board of Education possessing wide advisory powers in educational matters. The Articles of Association and the by-laws were further altered in 1902, to allow the Principal and Staff representatives the position of assessors on the Council.

In 1907 it was decided to apply to the Privy Council for a Royal Charter to take the place of the Deed of Incorporation under the Board of Trade. A draft Charter and Statutes was drawn up, providing for a system of management that was the same in outline as that already existing: the Members of The College became the Governors, the composition of the Council was altered to include representatives of the University of London, the London County Council, and the teaching Staff, an Academic Board was instituted, and the title 'Bedford College for Women, University of London' was formally established. The draft was approved by the Council and Staff, and was adopted by a Special Meeting of The College in Oct 1908. Royal Assent for this new chartered body was received in Jan 1909.

Various amendments were made to the charter in the years leading up to 1985, most notably the removal of 'for Women' from the name of the College in 1952, and alterations to allow for the admittance of men in 1965.

Due to financial and accommodation pressures, the decision was made in 1982 to merge with Royal Holloway College at Egham, and the Bedford College Charter was revoked on 1 Aug 1985.

Bedford College , Council

Following deliberations in 1849 by various provisional committees, the management structure of Bedford College was arranged into a Board, a Council, a Ladies Committee and a Professors Committee, coming into effect as a corporate body in Sep 1849.

The Council was the most important of these bodies, being the holder of the executive functions and responsible for the general and educational management of Bedford College. It comprised nine members: one Trustee, two representatives of the Board, three Lady Visitors, and three Professors, the women on the Council being the final authority for 'all matters in which female propriety and comfort is concerned'. The Ladies Committee and the Professors Committee were intended to report to the Council, which would mediate between and unite the opinions of the two advisory bodies. Other powers included appointment and remuneration of staff and overseeing of College finances. Various decisions made by the Council included new plans for the conduct of finances, 1850, including a rigorous procedure for the drawing of cheques and the appointment of an auditor to oversee the accounts; the drawing up in 1856 of a systematic four year course of study for pupils, including a terminal examination; and the creation of a Committee of Education to assess and advise students.

The draft constitution of Bedford College, however, had never been formally adopted by the Board, and lacked any legal power. Despite numerous attempts, no formal charter could be agreed upon by all sections of the management structure, and the College was also suffering under financial pressures and suspicions of inadequate teaching methods. Following the death of Mrs Reid, her Trustees instigated the replacement of the College government by a Committee of Management chaired by Mark Pattison and containing several members of the old Council. After a period of autocratic rule, the Committee of Management framed a Constitution that was accepted by the Board and came into force in 1869. The College was incorporated as an Association under the Board of Trade, and the Articles of Association placed the government of Bedford College in the hands of a body of Members named 'The College', who took the place of the previous Board. The Council remained the main executive body, though it was no longer made up of representatives from different sections of the College, but was consist of ten Members, nine elected by 'The College' in General Meeting (with one third being women) and the Honorary Secretary. This Council had full executive powers and was also empowered to create Committees: a Committee of Education was instituted immediately.

The membership of the Council was changed from ten to twenty in 1892 to allow for the presence of representatives of the Residence, and a need for closer communication between Staff and the College government led to Staff representatives being awarded the position of assessors on the Council in 1902.

Following the grant of a Royal Charter in 1909, the Council was restructured to include representatives of the University of London, the London County Council, the teaching Staff, and the Governors, with the Principal becoming an ex officio member. One-third of the Councillors were still to be women. Meetings were held at least once a term, with the annual election of a Chairman, Vice Chairman and Honorary Treasurer at the first Council meeting after the Annual General Meeting. One-fifth of the elected Councillors (those chosen from among the Governors) was to resign at every AGM.

The Council conducted the general business of College, with powers to appoint and dismiss the Principal, Secretary, teaching staff and other employees, to appoint Standing or Special Committees (the Chairman of Council being an ex officio member of all committees), and supervise the overall revenue and expenditure of the College. They also maintained the Common Seal of the College, the affixing of which had to be attested by two Councillors and the Secretary of Council.

The size and makeup of the Bedford College Council has varied over the years, the final total being fixed at 32 by the Governors in 1982. Student Councillors were admitted to the Council in 1973 - elected by whole student body in secret ballot - and had to include the President and former President of Bedford College Union Society.

The early management structure of Bedford College was decided upon in 1849 by several provisional committees set up for the purpose, and, despite the original wish of Mrs Reid and her friends to keep the management of the College in the hands of women, relegated the executive authority over the propriety and comfort of the pupils to the four women who sat on the Council. Owing to the lack of Committee experience of the women involved in the venture, made clear in the provisional stages of the project, a decision was made that the Ladies Committee should retain no executive function, but merely be an advisory body.

The Ladies Committee was active as an advisory force, giving the Council its opinion on developments in the College and educational questions, but it faced a constant struggle to maintain adequate Committee procedures, only drawing up the requested by-laws in 1850-1851. These provided for the title of President for the Chairman of the Committee, but the office of Chair was not appointed systematically, and the meetings were often disorderly. Revised by-laws and Rules were drawn up in 1855, in which systems for electing representatives to the Council were outlined. The Committee also undertook yearly appointment of a salaried Lady Resident who was responsible for fees, household supervision and discipline in the College, until tenure of the office became permanent in 1854.

A group of Lady Visitors was formed from the original members of the Ladies Committee (which was often known as the 'Committee of Lady Visitors'), mainly for the purpose of chaperonage and discipline of the young ladies attending lectures. At a meeting of the provisional Ladies Committee in Aug 1849, rules for the conduct of students were drawn up, as was a timetable of supervision. No Professor's wife was permitted to be a Lady Visitor, and no Professor could reprimand a pupil except in the presence of a Lady Visitor. Twenty-one Lady Visitors were appointed in Oct 1849, though the draft constitution allowed for a maximum of forty, and numbers soon increased to thirty-nine. A locked book was kept for the Lady Visitors to enter remarks and suggestions. As the years went on, numbers became more and more difficult to maintain due to the expenditure of time required from the role. Despite the introduction of auxiliaries and chaperonage fees, numbers continued to decline until chaperonage was dispensed with in 1893.

Already on the wane due to the emergence of the Reid Trustees and the prominence of the ladies on the Council, the powers of the Ladies Committee were further reduced upon the Incorporation of the College in 1869, when it failed to be given an important place in the constitution and had its numbers limited to 14. The last meeting was held in April 1893, though it had ceased to exert any real power for the preceding twenty-four years.

The early management structure of Bedford College was decided upon in 1849 by several provisional committees set up for the purpose, and comprised a Board, a Council with executive powers, a Ladies Committee and a Professors Committee.

The Board's powers were those of a court of appeal and a body concerned with questions of constitutional change. The name was not generally used after the first few years, with the full body of members being termed the 'General Meeting'. The Board consisted of the three Trustees, the members of the Ladies Committee, three 'other gentlemen', twelve Professors and the Lady Visitors. The Board elected one lady and one gentleman of their number to sit on the Council at the Midsummer meeting, and electing new members to itself. The draft Constitution framed in 1849 had been adhered to, but never formally ratified by the Board, leaving Bedford College without a legal charter.

Following the dismissal of the Council and a period of control by a Committee of Management in 1868-1869, a Constitution was framed which was accepted by the Board and came into force in 1869. The College was incorporated as an Association under the Board of Trade, with a Memorandum and Articles of Association, and the Board was replaced by a body of Members termed 'The College', the membership of which was not to exceed one hundred, of which at least a third should be women. A new Council was to be created of nine elected Members and the Honorary Secretary. No Staff members were eligible to sit on either body. Changes in the Constitution remained the affair of the Members of the College, as did appeals from the Staff concerning dismissal. Membership of the College was increased to two hundred at two Extraordinary Meetings in 1891.

Following the incorporation of Bedford College by Royal Charter in 1909, the body of the Members of the College became known as the Governors, though there was little change in the powers accorded them. The Governors numbered two hundred in total, with the constitution stating that one-fifth should have attended Bedford College in the past. In 1965 the Charter was altered to allow for up to three hundred Governors.

General Meetings were held annually until 1869, three times a year from 1870-1896, and annually after 1897, with elections being held at the autumn meeting. In 1949 these meetings became known as Governors' Meetings. Special General Meetings were held from 1941-1951 to deal with wartime and post-war problems. From 1909 onwards, all Annual General Meetings were presided over by the Visitor, who was appointed by the Governors for a term of three years. New Governors were appointed in General Meeting following nomination by the Visitor or by any two present Governors. To the Governors also fell the task of deciding the strength and composition of the Council, and, at the Annual General Meeting, choosing several of their number to sit on that body. They were also responsible for the annual appointment of a professional auditor to oversee and report on the finances of Bedford College. In 1973, the Governors were empowered to change the Charter at Annual General Meetings.

The Fellows Sub-Committee was set up to recommend three eminent personages with connections to Bedford College as Fellows. The three became ex officio Governors. Nominations were invited annually from members of the College and submitted to the Committee through the Secretary of the Council. The Fellows Committee comprised two Governors (not Councillors), three Councillors (one of whom was a Staff member), the Deans of the Faculties and the ex officio Committee members (Chairman of Council, Vice-Chairman, Principal, Vice-Principal, and Honorary Treasurer).

The Reid Trust came into existence in 1866, following the death of Mrs Reid, and provided a capital sum of £16,400 to be used 'for the promotion and improvement of female education'. It stipulated that there should be at least three (and no more than five) Reid Trustees, all unmarried women: the first Trustees were Elizabeth Ann Bostock, Jane Martineau and Eleanor Elizabeth Smith, who also served as Managers of the Residence. Control of capital which could help the financially precarious College, as well as control of the property leases, put the three in a position to determine a new structure of management for Bedford College. Due to their demands, the School attached to the College was closed and the Bedford College Council ceased to exist in Jun 1868, replaced for eighteen months by a Committee of Management. After a period of autocratic rule, the Committee of Management proposed a Constitution that was accepted by the Board and came into force in 1869. The College was incorporated as an Association under the Board of Trade, with Memoranda and Articles of Association, and the management structure consisted of a body of Members termed 'The College', which replaced The Board, and a new Council elected from amongst the Members.

Following this period of change, the Reid Trust used its income to promote female education, and, rather than giving an annual lump sum to Bedford College, chose to devote funds to the creation of scholarships, exhibitions and grants for entrance to the College made directly by the Trustees to the recipient. This was done through the creation in 1872 of a Scholarship Fund with capital of £2000. They also promoted higher education by making contributions to Bedford College Council for stated purposes such as the increase of the salaries of lecturers and a yearly public examination of the standard of teaching. Donations were made to the Library and laboratories, and money was sometimes provided for building or extension work.

After the first Government grant to Bedford College in 1895, the Reid Trust discontinued its contributions to higher education, and widened its donations to take in other institutions, such as the London School of Medicine for Women. A travelling scholarship named for Rachel Notcutt was founded in 1918 to commemorate her long service with the Trust, and the Trust has maintained close links with the affairs of the College. The Reid scholarships, which were suspended in [1985], were recently reinstated.

In 1860, Mrs Reid gave £2,000 to her friends Elizabeth Ann Bostock, Jane Martineau and Eleanor Elizabeth Smith, to purchase the lease of 48 Bedford Square as a boarding house for pupils of Bedford College, administering the money as Managers of the Residence. There was no formal trust agreement, even following Jane Martineau's death in 1882, until 1885, when the relevant documentation was created and a further three women became Trustees (Ethel Glazebrook, Sophia Margaretta Pilcher and Madeline Shaw Lefevre).

The three Managers agreed to rent part of Number 48 to the College, retaining the remainder of the rooms for the boarding house. This meant that although in close proximity, the management of the College and the Residence were entirely separate. The Managers were directly responsible for everything to do with the boarders, including discipline and propriety. A Lady Superintendent was employed to watch over the young women staying there. On Mrs Reid's death in 1866, the lease of 47 Bedford Square also became the property of the Managers (the three women were also Reid Trustees), giving them a great deal of say in the future of the College, and allowing them to demand a new Constitution (created by a Committee of Management in 1868-1869).

In 1874, due to serious overcrowding and lack of facilities at Bedford Square, the Managers of the Residence leased 8 and 9 York Place, to which Bedford College transferred in the same year, and used the income from the capital of the Trust to help in the maintenance of various buildings and the lease of further accommodation in the surrounding area. Buildings leased included 64, 65 and 66 East Street in 1886, directly behind the College, and work was undertaken to build the Shaen Wing in 1889. Once again, as with the houses at Bedford Square, the Managers leased the College part of all the new premises.

Despite their opposition to the merging of the College and the Residence, which they saw as undermining the independence of the latter, the Managers agreed in 1893 to the merging of the offices of Lady Resident (responsible for the College) and Lady Superintendent (responsible for the Residence) in the person of a Lady Principal. The successful candidate, Miss Emily Penrose, was therefore to report to both the College and the Managers separately, a complicated situation which was remedied by an offer by the Managers in 1894 to hand over to the College Council entire responsibility for the management of the Residence, together with the leases of 8 and 9 York Place and the East Street Residences. The offer was accepted.

The Managers of the Residence retained the capital of Mrs Reid's Residence Trust, together with savings accumulated. The income was used for various maintenance projects, such as the acquisition of 7 York Place, and the possible redemption of the leases of York Place and East Street. In 1927 the sole surviving Manager, Mrs Pilcher, handed over the Trust to the College.

The power to create Standing and Special Committees was given to the Council of Bedford College when the Articles of Association were drawn up in 1869. This power remained with the Council following the Incorporation by Royal Charter in 1909, with the Chairman of Council, the Honorary Treasurer, the Vice-Chairman, the Principal and the Vice-Principal all becoming ex officio members of every Committee. All appointments to Committees were made annually by the Council at its first meeting after the AGM, with the term of office usually being three years. All Committees were required to appoint a Chairman, and the Secretary of the Council also acted as Secretary to all its Committees.

Standing Committees comprise:

The Finance Committee, formed by the Council in 1889, with the Honorary Treasurer being automatically created its Chair after administrative reforms in 1899. The Charter of 1909 allowed for its four members to be elected by the Council, though revisions to the by-laws in 1972, 1977, 1979 and 1983 meant it became much larger and made up of the ex officio members plus the Deans of the Faculties, the President and Vice-President of the Union Society, and 8-10 Governors. The Committee is responsible for reporting to the Council on all financial affairs of the College.
The Policy and Estimates Committee, instituted by the Council in 1972, and revoked in 1979. It consisted of the Chairman of the Council, the Honorary Treasurer, the Principal, the Deans of the Faculties, 2 lay members of the Council, and 4 members elected by the Academic Board. Its role was to advise the Council on development policy in its inter-related academic, physical and financial aspects, and to exercise scrutiny over quinquennial and annual estimates of expenditure. Reports were sent to the Council and the Academic Board.
Standing Committee on Laboratory Expenditure.
The Committee of Education, constituted by the Committee of Management in 1868, and intended to address all educational questions. The original members were Pattison, Bostock, Bryce and Eleanor Smith, and one of their number met with all students entering the College to advise them in their choice of subjects. The Committee had the main responsibility for the administration of educational matters, such as timetables and examinations. (A Sub-Committee was formed in 1882 for the purpose of advising students on courses of study, but seems to have only functioned at the beginning of term.) In 1881 the Council passed a resolution allowing Professors to elect three of their number onto the Committee of Education, with Staff representation increasing to six in 1892. The Committee was replaced by the Board of Education in 1896. The Board consisted of three ex officio members (Chairman and Honorary Secretary of the Council, and the Principal) and five representatives each from the Council and the teaching staff. This incarnation possessed wide advisory powers in educational matters, including staff appointments. In the 1909 Royal Charter of Incorporation the Board of Education was replaced by the Academic Board.
Physical Education Committee.
In 1871 the Professors were requested by the Council to form themselves into Board of Studies, though there appear to have been no regular meetings for ten years. At their occasional meetings they gave general advice on educational matters, and in 1881 were allowed by the Council to elect three representatives to the Education Committee. At the meeting to elect these representatives, the staff also resolved to meet twice a term and appointed a Chairman and Secretary. From then on the Staff Meeting met regularly, at least once a term, with duties including the nomination of students for scholarships and other minor educational matters referred to it by the Council. The membership of the Staff Meeting was officially laid down in 1882, and was initially confined to Professors, though Assistant staff were invited to attend and take part. In the by-laws of 1902, membership was widened to include Lecturers, Assistant Lecturers, and the Principal. By 1892, the representation of the Staff Meeting on the Education Committee had increased to six. Following agitation by the Staff Meeting for official representation in the government of Bedford College, the new Board of Education was set up in 1896, the composition of which included five members of the staff. The duties of the Staff Meeting were taken over by the Academic Board in 1909.
The Loan Fund Committee for the Training of Teachers came into being following the inauguration at Bedford College of the Department for Professional Training of Teachers. A Loan Fund was set up for students in the Department in 1892, though this was extended to all students of the College in 1896 (see Principal's Loan Fund).

Building Committees were founded on an ad hoc basis in response to a particular need until 1978. Therefore there are Committees relating to different building projects undertaken by the College, such as the Premises Committee, 1908-1915, which oversaw the purchase and alteration of the Regent's Park site and worked hand-in-hand with the Building Fund Committee that raised funds for the venture. The Regent's Park site was subject to constant extension and building work, especially following severe bombing in World War Two, and several Committees were set up to control planning, expenditure, and contracts. The House Committee, created in 1876, was a different matter. Its role was to superintend the maintenance of the College premises and residences, regulate the housekeeping expenses and submit reports to the Council and Finance Committee every term. It consisted of five Governors appointed by the Council, one member of the teaching staff nominated annually by the Academic Board, and the Principal, who was to act as ex officio Secretary. In 1978 overall responsibility for building and maintenance was put into the hands of the Estates Management Committee, which took on domestic concerns as well as building and maintenance. It consisted of the ex officio Committee members, three Councillors, three teaching staff, one member of the Space Committee, two undergraduate students appointed by the Bedford College Union Society, one post-graduate student, and the Wardens of the Halls of Residence. Its brief was to monitor negotiations for the purchase, sale, lease or planning permission of sites and premises; to supervise the planning, costing, drawing up of contracts and progress of building, improvement and maintenance work; to control and supervise the management and routine maintenance of College's grounds, premises and household services; to present accounts and estimates for building work; to report expenditure on maintenance of the household, Refectory, Halls of Residence, sports facilities and parking; and present recommendations for fees and charges.

Special Committees were formed as required, mainly to deal with constitutional matters. For example, the Acland Committee, formed in 1899 and chaired by the Rt Hon Arthur Herbert Dyke Acland, was appointed 'to consider steps for the setting of the College on a sound financial basis' and 'to recommend to the Council any changes in the constitution or organisation of the College...' Its report resulted in the increase of College revenue and the increased representation of the staff in the government of the College. Other Special Committees have been set up to scrutinise the implications of the admission of men to Bedford College, and the possibility of merging with various other colleges of the University of London, including Westfield, King's College, and Royal Holloway. Joint Planning Committees of Bedford College and Royal Holloway College oversaw the mechanics of the merger in 1982-1985.

Bedford College

Photographs collected throughout the history of Bedford College.

Bedford College

Various unofficial records collated by members of Bedford College on an ad-hoc basis.

Born 1833 as George Martin; married Sarah Anne Driver, sister of Jane Holloway, 1857; assisted Thomas Holloway in the foundation of Holloway Sanatorium and Royal Holloway College; became Trustee of the Mount Lee Estate, Egham, 1876, on which Royal Holloway College was built, supervised the building of the College, and laid the foundation stone, 1879; Governor of Royal Holloway College, 1879; assumed additional name of Holloway, 1884; knighted, 1887; Patron of the Chapel at St Michael and All Angels Church, Sunninghill, Berkshire, 1888-1889; died 1895.

Gay Sweatshop was formed in London in 1975 and had its roots in the lunchtime theatre club "Ambience" held at the Almost Free theatre. Inter-Action, a co-operative community arts resource centre, staged a popular Women's season at the Almost Free theatre in 1974 and, inspired by their success, advertised for gay actors to take part in a gay theatre season planned for autumn 1974. The aim was to encourage gay people to produce a season of gay plays and eventually form a company. The season was postponed until early 1975 and after holding meetings throughout the autumn of 1974, a small group of founder members emerged. These included Drew Griffiths, Alan Pope, Roger Baker, Alan Wakeman, Laurence Collinson, John Roman Baker, Ed Berman, Gerald Chapman, Philip Osment, Suresa Galbraith and Norman Coates. The intention of the group was to counteract the prevailing conception in mainstream theatre of what homosexuals were like, therefore providing a more realistic image for the public. The season was called "Homosexual Acts" and included three plays, all of which were written and directed by homosexuals. "Homosexual Acts" was originally scheduled to last until April but was extended to June and additional plays were requested.

By 1975 the Campaign for Homosexual Equality (CHE) had local groups established in most towns. They invited Gay Sweatshop to perform at the annual conference in Sheffield. Initially this was problematic as Gay Sweatshop had no resources to put on a touring production. However, an Arts Council grant allowed them to put together "Mister X", jointly written by the group. The play was based on a combination of personal experiences and a book called "With Downcast Gays: Aspects of Homosexual Self-Oppression", written by Andrew Hodges and David Hutter. "Mister X" was a huge success at Sheffield and so the decision was made to take it on tour. News of the tour spread quickly throughout the gay communities and the tour was seen by many whom would not have usually had the courage to attend a gay play.

In 1976 Gay Sweatshop put on a lunchtime season at the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) running from February through to July. Productions included "Mister X", "Any Woman Can" by Jill Posener, "Randy Robinson's Unsuitable Relationship" by Andrew Davies, Ian Brown's play "The Fork", "Stone" by Edward Bond and "Indiscreet", a follow up to "Mister X" written by Roger Baker and Drew Griffiths. The ICA season was a turning point for Gay Sweatshop. They received an Arts Council grant for the first half of the year, "Mister X" broke box office records for lunchtime theatre and women were participating in productions for the first time. The company had invited the women because they felt that lesbian actors, directors and writers were needed to provide a more complete picture of homosexuality. In November 1976 the company took "Mister X" and "Any Woman Can" on tour to Dublin. Although there was considerable opposition the Irish Gay Rights Movement welcomed the productions and the company returned in January 1977 to repeat the plays. During the Christmas of 1976 the company produced "Jingleballs", a gay pantomime starring both lesbians and gay men. The pantomime was successful but the Irish tour had revealed fundamental differences in how the men and women viewed the company. In 1977 two artistically separate companies were formed under the umbrella organisation of Gay Sweatshop. At the same time the company realised the need for a full-time administrator and appointed David Thompson. In April 1977 the company obtained an annual programme award of £15,000, which although it had to be re-applied for every year was enough to guarantee a year's worth of productions.

As separate companies both went on to produce critically acclaimed plays. The women produced "Care and Control", a piece focusing on child custody. This theme had been raised at many of the post performance discussions. The men produced "As Time Goes By", a three-part production set in 1896 after the Oscar Wilde trial, in Berlin in the 1930s and in 1969 when Gay liberation was born. The play was a collaborative effort between Noel Greig and Drew Griffiths.

In early 1978 the first Gay Times festival was held at the Drill Hall. This was based on the three sections of "As Time Goes By" and included workshops, discussion groups and performances. It was followed by a tour of "As Time Goes By" that concluded with a visit to Holland. It was here that the men's touring company split up following tension within the group. Meanwhile the women's group produced "What the Hell is she doing here?" that toured until the end of July. During the summer of 1978 a new nucleus of people emerged including Angela Stewart Park, Stephanie Pugsley, Sharon Nassauer, Sandra Lester, Noel Greig, Philip Timmins, John Hoyland and Jill Posener. They devised a mixed show called "Iceberg". This focussed on the lives of gay men and women in a repressive society and sought to show that they were central to any kind of anti-fascist struggle. The production went on tour to Queen's University in Belfast where a rally was arranged against the play by the Democratic Unionist party.

During 1979 and 1980 a number of productions were put on. The men's company produced "The Dear Love of Comrades" in March 1979 while the women produced "I like me like this", a radical lesbian musical written by Angela Stewart Park and Sharon Nassauer. 1980 saw another mixed production written by Angela Stewart Park and Noel Greig. The play, "Blood Green" is set in the future and deals with issues of genetic engineering, transexualism, sado-masochism and violence against women.

In 1980 the Arts Council announced the suspension of their programme grants. This meant that Gay Sweatshop would have to apply for individual project grants for specific productions. The company had to give up their full-time administrator and recently acquired office and rehearsal space. Although they tried to continue it became too much of a burden for the two remaining directors, Noel Greig and Philip Timmins, and the administrator, Gean Wilton, and at the end of March 1981 Gay Sweatshop was closed as a company.

Gay Sweatshop was revived in 1983 as a mixed company rather than the two artistically separate companies that had existed since 1977. Noel Greig, inspired by the issue of Greenham Common, wrote "Poppies" that put forward a response to the nuclear threat and militarism from a radical gay male perspective. He applied for project funding from the Arts Council and with the help of Martin Humphries as administrator, began planning the tour from a room in his house. The play toured from November to December. In 1984 a new management committee was formed consisting of Noel Greig, Martin Humphries, Philip Timmins, Kate Owen and Philip Osment. They began planning a 10th anniversary festival for 1985. At the same time Martin Humphries and Noel Greig applied to the Greater London Council for a grant to supplement their touring subsidy from the Arts Council. Gay Sweatshop eventually received a grant in 1985 that allowed them to put on a second production of "Poppies" with the tour running from March to May.

By the 1980s the Gay movement had become somewhat apathetic. In part this was due to the belief held by some that the ideals that had originally inspired the movement had become redundant and old-fashioned. There was also a feeling of pessimism about the future due to the growing paranoia about AIDS. At the same time they realised that Gay Sweatshop was very much an all-white group. The festival scheduled for the 10th anniversary of the company provided them with an opportunity to respond to the new challenges and serve as a platform for a wide range of work including; Gay teachers, problems facing young gays and lesbians, lesbian custody, experiences and black lesbians and the issue of AIDS. In response to the success of "Gay Sweatshop x 10" the Greater London Council awarded the company an annual grant that allowed them to get a full-time administrator and office space. The following year Gay Sweatshop was finally awarded charitable status in recognition of its educational work.

"Compromised Immunity" by Andy Kirby developed from the festival and was first staged in 1986 with external funding. Gay Sweatshop took the production on tour from April to June 1987. The company decided to stage another festival in 1987, this one called "Gay Sweatshop x 12". Nine plays were given staged rehearsed readings, including "This Island's Mine" by Philip Osment and "Twice Over" by Jackie Kay. "This Island's Mine" was initially performed in February and then on tour from March until April. "Twice Over" was seen as a breakthrough play for Gay Sweatshop as it was the first play by a black author. The Arts Council awarded a grant and the play was on tour from October to November 1988.

The late 1980s saw a new management group emerge after the departures of Philip Timmins in 1986, Martin Humphries and Noel Greig in 1987 and Kate Owen and Philip Osment in 1988. In 1990 Bryony Lavery was commissioned to write "Kitchen Matters", a play about theatre and the problems of putting on a show with project funding. The Greater London Arts was at this point giving Gay Sweatshop an annual grant of £21000 although the amount had been fixed for three years.

November 1990 saw the company struggling for funds once again. The Arts Council had turned down their application for a grant and it looked likely that the company would have to close. However, in 1991 Gay Sweatshop was promised revenue funding providing that there was both a male and female director. Lois Weaver and James Neale -Kennerley were appointed. 1992 saw productions of "Drag Act" by Claire Dowie, "Jack" by David Greenham and "Entering Queens" by Phyllis Nagy. During the season of 1993/4 the company produced two plays, "Stupid Cupid" by Phil Willmott and a company devised piece called "In your Face". The season 1994/5 again saw the company putting on two plays. The first was a piece adapted by Malcolm Sutherland called "F***king Martin" and the second, "Lust and Comfort", another company devised piece. In 1995 Stella Duffy's play "The Hand" was performed. During the early 1990s most of the company's funding was being spent on touring productions.

Gay Sweatshop eventually collapsed in 1997. The Arts Council withdrew all its funding and the company failed to attract any major sponsorship because of the controversial nature of the productions.

Half Moon Theatre Company

The Half Moon Theatre Company was formed in 1972 when two unemployed actors rented a deserted synagogue in Aldgate, East London, as a cheap place to live and produce plays. The name of the company came from a nearby alley, The Half Moon Passage. The founders, Mike Irving and Maurice Colbourne, and the artistic director, Guy Sprung, wanted to create a rehearsal space with living accommodation, inspired by the sixties alternative society.

The company had its first success with the production of Brecht's "In the Jungle of Cities" in 1972. This was followed by the company taking part in the E1 festival in 1973, which attracted local writers and actors. In 1975 the company set up a Management Council and began receiving an Arts Council of Great Britain (ACGB) subsidy. They also took the decision to form a youth project that became known as the Half Moon Young People's Theatre. By the late 1970s the success of the Half Moon Theatre Company meant that the original site, seating only 80 people, was far too small.

In 1979 a disused chapel that could seat 200 was discovered in Mile End Road. During 1979 it was decided that the chapel was also too small for the audience that the company was attracting. The Architect Bureau was commissioned to do a feasibility study on the construction of a new theatre on a site adjacent to the chapel. The main architect, Florian Beigel, designed a theatre in which there was no fixed seating, thereby allowing plays to be staged in many forms. Robert Walker, the artistic director, was very specific about the purpose and nature of the theatre. He wanted a space in which all members of a community, from primary school children to pensioners, could exhibit work, meet and visit. By the end of 1981 planning permission had been granted and in 1982 the contract was put out to tender. Construction work finally began in 1983 and by 1984 over £1,000,000 had been raised, with ACGB, Greater London Council (GLC), ILEA and Tower Hamlets Council as main sponsors. Chris Bond joined the company as artistic director and the theatre was handed over in December, with the opening production of "Sweeney Todd" in May 1985.

The Half Moon Theatre Company had put on a number of challenging international plays in the 1970s, including several premieres of Steven Berkoff's plays, American musicals and English premieres of works by Dario Fo and Franca Rame. However, by the mid 1980s the Half Moon theatre Company was beginning to lose its popularity. Problems arose with both the financial management and the artistic programme. In the late 1980s the company was using all of its grant form the Greater London Arts Association (GLA) to pay off building debts. This meant that the grant was halved in 1990, as it was not being used for its intended purpose of putting on plays. The theatre was unable to cope with this and closed down in June 1990. Government policy was that arts organisations should be self-supporting through ticket sales and bar takings. However, this went against what the Half Moon Theatre Company was trying to do. They wanted to provide political theatre to those who were on low disposable incomes, which meant keeping ticket prices down. The low income audience and strong political agenda, in turn meant that commercial sponsors were not interested in the theatre. The Half Moon Young People's Theatre remained intact as a separate company and is still performing.

Born 1845; educated Bedford College School, 1854-1861, and Bedford College, London, 1861-1864; Member of Council, Bedford College, University of London, 1882-1885 and 1889-1936; founded the Students' Loan Fund for the Training Department, 1892; founded the Bedford College Students Association, 1894; instrumental in obtaining for the College a Parliamentary Grant as a University College, 1894, whence followed recognition by the University of London; represented Bedford College on the Council of Teachers' Guild, 1887-1925; Founder and Honorary Organising Secretary of Conference of Educational Associations since 1913; Honorary Secretary, Bedford College Building and Endowment Fund, [1903-1911]; Chairman of Secondary Technical and University Teachers Health Insurance Society; President, Bedford College Old Students Association, 1926-1928; Chairman of Governors of Amersham Grammar School, Buckinghamshire, 1928; Member of Amersham Rural District Council, 1911-1931; Chairman of Amersham Board of Guardians, 1928; died 1936.

Publications: Geography as a school subject (Teachers' Guild of Great Britain and Ireland, London, 1895): Original calendars of Bedford College (London, 1888); 'Glimpses of College life' for the Bedford College Magazine, 1914-1920.

Student at Bedford College, University of London, 1881-1884; awarded Class I in her Matriculation of 1882 and her Intermediate in Arts in 1883; granted Reid Scholarship, 1883; received Certificates of Merit for Greek History and German, 1884, and achieved a Class I Honours degree; awarded a diploma of Associateship by Bedford College, 1887; gained Class II in the Cambridge Classical Tripos; married Mr J J Nelson, prior to 1899; Governor of Bedford College, 1909; died 1935.

Born Harold Munro Fuchs in 1889; educated at Brighton College and Caius College, Cambridge University; worked at the Plymouth [Marine Biology] Laboratory, 1911-1912; Lecturer in Zoology, Imperial College, University of London, 1913-1914; served World War One, 1914-1918, with the Army Service Corps in Egypt, Salonika, Greece, the Balkan Peninsula and Palestine; changed name to Fox, 1914; Lecturer in Biology, Government School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt, 1919-1923; Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, 1920-1928; Balfour Student, Cambridge University, 1924-1927; leader of zoological expedition to study the fauna of the Suez Canal, Egypt, 1924; Editor of Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 1926-[1967]; Professor of Zoology, Birmingham University, 1927-1941; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1937; Professor of Zoology, Bedford College, University of London, 1941-1954; Honorary President, London Natural History Society, 1950-; President, International Union of Biological Sciences, 1950-1953; Fullarian Professor of Physiology, Royal Institution, 1953-1956; Emeritus Professor, 1954; Fellow and Research Associate, Queen Mary College, University of London; retired 1954; Président d'Honneur, Zoological Society of France, 1955; Gold Medallist, Linnean Society of London, 1959; Darwin Medallist of the Royal Society, 1966; died 1967.

Publications: Biology: an introduction to the study of life (University Press, Cambridge, 1932); Blue blood in animals, and other essays in biology (Routledge and Sons, London, 1928); Selene, or sex and the moon (Kegan Paul, London, 1928); The personality of animals (Penguin Books, Harmonsworth, New York, 1940); The nature of animal colours (Sidgwick and Jackson, London, 1960); assisted with the biology sections of Elementary Science (University Press, Cambridge, 1935).

Born Agnes Kelly in 1875; educated at the Dollar Academy, Dunfirmline and Bedford College, University of London; Associate of Bedford College, 1896; gained first class honours in Zoology, 1897; went to University of Munich, Germany, where she gained her PhD and met Georg Murgoci, 1900; spent many years in Bucharest, where her husband was Professor of Mineralogy; died 1929.

Publications: Rumania and the Rumanians (Anglo-Rumanian Society, London, 1918).

Born 1840; educated St Paul's School, London; career in the Board of Trade, 1856-1901, ending as Assistant Secretary to the Finance Department; contributor to the Academy, the Magazine of Art, and the Saturday Review; published volumes of poetry; died 1901.

Publications: preface to The life and works of Joseph Wright (Bemrose and Sons, London, 1885) by William Bemrose; preface to A concise history of painting (1888) by Mrs Charles Heaton; introduction to Exhibition of drawings in water colour by A W Hunt (London, 1897); introduction to Exhibition of drawings and studies by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (London, 1899); introduction to Exhibition illustrative of the French revival of etching (London, 1891); introduction to Catalogue of coloured Chinese porcelain exhibited in 1896 (London, 1896); introduction to Catalogue of Blue and White Oriental porcelain exhibited in 1895 (London, 1895); introduction to Historical catalogue of the collection of water colour drawings by deceased artists (Manchester, 1894); A dream of idleness and other poems (London, 1865); A few words about Hogarth; A history and description of Chinese porcelain (Cassell and Co, London, 1901); A question of honour (London, 1868); The British contemporary artists (Heinemann, London and New York, 1899); Corn and poppies (E. Matthews, London, 1890); In the National Gallery (A.D. Innes and Co, London, 1895); Joseph Mallord William Taylor (Sampson Low and Co, London, 1929); Life of Leigh-Hunt (London, 1893); Masterpieces of English art (London, 1869); Nonsense rhymes (R Brimley Johnson, London, [1902]); Pasiteles the Elder, and other poems (R. Brimley Johnson, London, 1901); Pictures by Sir C Eastlake (London, [1875]); Pictures by W Etty (London, [1874]); Pictures of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, [1877]); Sir Edward J Poynter, President of the Royal Academy, his life and work (J.S. Virtue and Co, London, [1897]); The Christ upon the hill: a ballad (Smith, Elder and Co, London, 1895); The earlier English water colour painters (Seeley and Co, London, 1890); The life and works of Sir John Tenniel (1901); The National Gallery: the Italian Pre-raphaelites (Cassell and Co, London, 1887); The studies of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, 1877); The Turner Gallery (London, [1878]); The works of J.H. Foley (London, [1875]); The works of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, 1879); Turner: a sketch of his life and works (Sampson, Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, London, 1882); Verses: to Our Sovereign Lady Queen Victoria, June 22, 1897 (London, 1897).

Born 1895; educated Queen's College School, Harley Street, London, and Heathfield School, Ascot, Berkshire; studied at Bedford College, University of London, 1915-1923, gaining a first class honours degree in Chemistry and an MSc; married Dr John McNee, 1923; became Lady McNee when her husband was knighted in 1951; died 1975.

Born 1841; student at Bedford College, 1868; Resident, Bedford College Boarding House in Bedford Square and York Place, London, until 1894; Assistant, Department of Latin, Bedford College, 1881-1891; Honorary Librarian, Bedford College, 1883-1895; Member of Council, Bedford College, University of London, 1891-1901 and 1909-1913; Member of House Committee, 1891-1921, and Library Committee, 1890-1921, Bedford College; Secretary of Reid Trustees, 1882-1921; Notcutt Travelling Studentship instituted by the Reid Trust, 1918; died 1921.

Born 1901; passed University of London matriculation Examination, 1920; attended Bedford College, University of London, achieving a BSc in 1925; captained the First XI Hockey Team, Bedford College, 1923-1924.

Born 1885: educated Clapham High School, London, and Girton College, Cambridge University; Gilchrist Fellowship, Cambridge University, 1908-1909; Assistant Lecturer, 1909-1921, Lecturer, 1921-1929, Reader, 1929-1936, and Professor, 1936-1950, in Classics and Greek, Bedford College, University of London; Head of Greek Department, Bedford College, 1936-1950; Honorary Fellow of Girton College, 1955, Bedford College, 1969, and Manchester College, Oxford University, 1969; President, Unitarian Assembly, 1952-1953; President of the Hellenic Society, 1953-1956; President of the Classical Association, 1957-1958; Professor Emeritus, [1950]; died 1973.

Publications: editor of A golden treasury of the Bible (Lindsey Press, London, 1934); preface to Hymns for school and home (Sunday School Association, London, 1920); The Hippias Major, attributed to Plato. With introductory essay and commentary by Dorothy Tarrant (University Press, Cambridge, 1928); Lessons for the little ones (Sunday School Association, London, 1924) with E D Scott; The contribution of Plato to free religious thought: the Essex Hall lecture (Lindsey Press, London, [1949]); The question of moderate drinking: an address delivered at the annual meeting of the Temperance Collegiate Association, April 16th 1953 (Temperance Collegiate Association, Cardiff, [1953]); What Unitarians believe (Lindsey Press, London, [1926]).

Born 1886; educated Newnham College, Cambridge; Employment Department of the Ministry of Labour, 1913-1917; Director of Studies and Lecturer on Economics at Newnham College, Cambridge, 1917-1919; Lecturer on Economics, Armstrong College, University of Durham, 1919-1929; Principal of Bedford College, University of London, 1930-1951; OBE, 1948; CBE, 1951; retired 1951; Fellow of Bedford College, 1952; Associate of Newnham College; died 1959.

Publications: On the life of Dame Margaret Tuke, D.B.E. The Fawcett Lecture, 1952-53 (Bedford College, London, [1953]).

Born 1922; educated in Wimbledon and at Bedford College, University of London, graduating in 1943 with a first class honours degree in Geography; Research Assistant, Ministry of Town and Country Planning, 1944-1945; gained doctorate in Economic Geography, 1947; Lecturer, University of Capetown, South Africa, 1947; Lecturer, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1948; Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, Keele University, Staffordshire, 1951-1964; Professor of Geography and Head of Geography Department, Bedford College, University of London, 1964-1975; Member of Department of Transport Advisory Committee on the Landscaping of Trunk Roads, 1972; Director of Research in Geobotany, Terrain Analysis and Related Resource Use, Bedford College, 1975-1987; retired 1987; Emeritus Professor, 1987; Leverhulme Fellowship, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, 1987-1994; Murchison Award, Royal Geographical Society, 1987; Honorary Life Member, South African Geographical Society, 1993; died 1994.

Publications: Biogeography in the service of man, with particular reference to the underdeveloped lands. An inaugural lecture at Bedford College (Bedford College, University of London, 1965); Land use studies in the Transvaal Lowveld (Geographical Publications, [Bude], 1956); South Africa (Methuen and Co, London, 1961); The Savannas: biogeography and geobotany (Academic, London, 1986); The use of LANDSAT imagery in relation to air survey imagery for terrain analysis in Northwest Queensland, Australia. ERTS follow-on programme study no.2692B(29650), final report (Department of Industry, Research and Technology Requirements Division, London, 1977) with E Stuart-Owen-Jones.

Born 1896; educated Kent County School for Girls, Tunbridge Wells; attended Bedford College, University of London, 1915-1917 and 1920-1922, gaining BSc Hons Zoology and Geology; Research scholar in Zoology, Bedford College, 1922-1923; Pilcher Research Laboratory, Bedford College, 1923; Research Studentship, Bedford College, 1927-1928; Amy Lady Tate Scholarship, Bedford College, 1928-1929; Marine Biology Laboratory, Plymouth, 1937-[1961]; gained DSc in Zoology, 1939; Leverhulme Research Fellowship, Bedford College, 1953-1955; died 1961.

Anthony Verrier was a journalist, working as special correspondent with the Observer, the Economist and the New Statesman. By 1968 he was freelance 'with a retainer for the Sunday Times'. In the 1990s he was Director of the MA in International Peacekeeping at the Human Rights Centre at the University of Essex.

Publications:An Army for the sixties: a study in national policy, contract and obligation (Secker and Warburg, London, 1966);The bomber offensive (Batsford, London, 1968); editor of Agents of Empire: Anglo-Zionist intelligence operations, 1915-1919 (Brassey's, London, 1995); Francis Youghusband and the great game (Cape, London, 1991); Assassination in Algiers: Churchill, Roosevelt and the murder of Admiral Darlan (Macmillan, London, 1991); The road to Zimbabwe, 1890-1980 (Cape, London, 1986); Through the looking glass: British foreign policy in an age of illusions (Cape, London, 1983); International peacekeeping: United Nations forces in a troubled world (Penguin, Harmondsworth, 1981).

Born 1899; educated Palmer's School, Grays, Essex and Bedford College, University of London; gained BA, 1920, MSc, 1924, and DSc, 1927; Assistant in Geology, Queen's University, Belfast, 1921-1926; Demonstrator in Geology, Bedford College, University of London. 1927-1931; Lecturer in Petrology, Bedford College, University of London, 1931-1933; Lecturer in Petrology, Durham University, 1933-1943; married Professor Arthur Holmes, 1939; Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh, 1943-1962; Leverhulme Fellowship to investigate the geology of the Slieve Gullion volcano, 1946-1948; Lyell Medallist, Geological Society, London, 1960; Honorary Research Fellow, Bedford College, University of London, 1962-[1985]; died 1985.

Publications: revision of Holmes principles of Physical Geography (English Language Book Society, London, 1978).

Born Samuel Turlausky in 1907; educated Rutherford College, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1919-1925, and Armstrong College, Durham University, 1925-1928; studied for Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Teaching, Armstrong College, Durham University, 1928-1929; Fellow of King's College, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1929-1931; Earl Grey Fellowship, 1931, enabling him to travel to Berlin, Germany; 1851 Exhibition Senior Student, Imperial College, University of London, 1952-1954; Assistant Lecturer, 1934-1937, Lecturer, 1937-1945, Senior Lecturer, 1945-1946, and Reader, 1946-1947, in Physics, Manchester University; awarded C.V. Boys Prize for contributions to optics by the London Physical Society, 1948; Professor of Physics, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1947-1973; Principal Investigator to NASA Lunar Project; Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee, National Gallery; Member of the Senate, University of London; Member of the Council, Royal Scientific Association; Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, 1947; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1952; Silver Medallist, Royal Scientific Association, 1961; Honorary Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1966; Honorary Fellow, Royal Microscopical Society, 1970; died 1973.

Publications: editor of Practical handbook on spectral analysis (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964); An introduction to interferometry (Longmans, Green and Co, London, 1955); Curiosities of light rays and light waves (Veneda Publishing, London, 1964); Fine structure in line spectra and nuclear spin (London, 1935); High resolution spectroscopy (Methuen and Co, London, 1947); Introduction to atomic physics (Longmans and Co, London, 1942); Multiple-beam interferometry of surfaces and films (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1948); Optical illusions (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964); Surface microtopography (Longmans, London, 1960); The history and use of diamond (Methuen and Co, London, 1962); editor of The human eye and the sun: hot and cold light (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1965); Interference microscopy for the biologist (Thomas, Springfield Illinois,1968); The strategic diamond (Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 1968); Revolution in optics (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1968); Microstructures of surfaces using interferometry (Arnold, London, 1968).

Dorothy Reich (née Knight) was born on the 6th August 1921, the daughter of a civil servant. She entered Bedford College in 1941 to study German with French and graduated with a first class honours degree in German in 1944. She was awarded a University Scholarship to do postgraduate work in German but had to spend 2 years doing National Service with the ATS Intelligence. On her release she returned to Bedford College to undertake her MA thesis on 'Bodmer's contribution to the knowledge and appreciation of Medieval Literature'. Having completed her MA in 1949 Reich spent a year as a teaching assistant in the German Department at Glasgow University before returning to London to take up the position of Assistant Lecturer at King's College in October 1950. While working Reich began to study part time for a PhD under the supervision of Professor Edna Purdie (PP/4). In 1953 she became an Assistant Lecturer at Bedford College and was promoted to the position of Lecturer in 1955. In 1959 she married Thomas Henry Reich. All that is known about her after this date is that she edited the 6th edition of 'A History of German Literature' in 1970. Publications: editor of 'Laokoon' by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (Oxford University Press, London, 1965); editor of sixth edition of 'A history of German literature' (Blackwood, London, 1970).

Studied Mathematics at Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1895-1899; Assistant Lecturer, 1899-1902, Staff Lecturer, 1902-1907, and Senior Staff Lecturer, 1907-1939, in Mathematics, Royal Holloway College; writer of essays, stories and poems, mainly published in the Hibbert Journal and Philosophy; died 1951.

Publications: Time and Time again: essays on various subjects (Allen and Unwin, London, 1941).

Born 1889; educated Southport High School for Girls and University of Liverpool, gaining a BSc, 1910, BSc with Honours, 1911, and an MSc, 1912; Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer in Botany, University of Liverpool, 1911-1922; Head of Botany Department, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1922-1949; President of the British Mycological Society, 1942-1961; retired 1949; died 1973.

Publications: Terminology in Phytophthora (Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew, 1949); Key to the species of Phytophthora recorded in the British Isles (Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew, 1954).

Born 1859; educated Bedford College, 1879-1880; gained BSc at University College London, 1891; Fellow of Newnham College, Cambridge University, 1892-1893, gaining a DSc in 1894; Head of the Botany Department, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1893-1922; Professor of Botany, Royal Holloway College, 1912-1922; Examiner in Honours Internal BSc, London; Member of Faculty of Science, University of London, 1903; Fellow of University College London; Fellow of Linnean Society, 1905; died 1936.

Publications: various articles in Annals of Botany.

Born 1872; educated Dulwich High School, Kent, and Bedford and Royal Holloway Colleges, London, gaining a BSc in Physics, 1898; elected one of first female members of Linnean Society, 1905, and was one of the first women to read a paper before the Society, Nov 1905; scientific papers published in The Annals of Botany and The New Phytologist, 1905-1914; Research Student at University College, 1906, and Imperial College, 1910, University of London; founded research laboratory at Bedford College, University of London, 1909; work on the agglutination of dysentery bacteria and preparation of serum, University of Liverpool, 1914-1919; work on the separation and identification of plant pathogenic bacteria, Imperial College, University of London, 1919-1920; set up Botanical Research Fund for postgraduate students and gave equipment to Royal Holloway Botanical Department; died 1947.

Born 1885; educated privately, Royal Holloway College, 1904, and University of London, graduating in 1907; Fellowship to Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania, USA, 1908-1909; Assistant Mistress in History, Cheltenham Ladies College, Gloucestershire, 1909-1912; Assistant Lecturer, 1912-1919, and Staff Lecturer, 1919-1921, in History, Royal Holloway College, University of London; Pfeiffer Research Fellow, 1921-1926, and Lecturer in History, 1926-1929, Girton College, Cambridge University; Lecturer in History, Cambridge University, 1930-1948; Director of Studies in History and Law, and Vice-Mistress, Cambridge University, 1944-1948; elected to the British Academy, 1945; Zemurray Radcliffe Professor of History, Harvard University, Massachusetts, USA, 1948-1954; President, International Commission for the History of Assemblies of Estates, 1949-1960; CBE, 1947; retired 1954; Vice-President Selden Society, 1962-1965; Vice President, 1958, and Honorary Vice-President, 1963-1968, Royal Historical Society; Fellow of the Medieval Academy of Arts and Sciences; Honorary Fellow, Somerville College, Oxford University, 1964; active member of the Cambridge Labour Party and Trades Council; died 1968.

Publications: A guide for novel readers (Y.W.C.A., London, 1920); Album Helen Maud Cam (Publications universitaires de Louvain, Louvain, 1960); England before Elizabeth (Hutchinson's University Library, London, 1950); Historical novels (Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1961); Law as it looks to a historian: Founders' Memorial Lecture, Girton College, 18 February, 1956 (W Heffer and Sons, Cambridge, 1956); Law-finders and law-makers in medieval England: collected studies in legal and constitutional history (Merlin Press, London, 1962); Liberties and communities in Medieval England: collected studies in local administration and topography (University Press, Cambridge, 1944); Local government in Francia and England: a comparison of the local administration and jurisdiction of the Carolingian Empire with that of the West Saxon Kingdom (University of London Press, London, 1912); Studies in the Hundred Rolls: some aspects of thirteenth century administration (Oxford, 1921); The Hundred and the Hundred Rolls: an outline of local government in Medieval England (Methuen and Co, London, 1930); The legislators of Medieval England (Geoffrey Cumberlege, London, [1946]); What of the Middle Ages is still alive in England today? (Athlone Press, London, [1961]); Zachary Nugent Brooke, 1883-1946 (Geoffrey Cumberlege, London, [1949]); Bibliography of English constitutional history (G. Bell and Sons, London, 1929); editor Crown, community and parliament in the later Middle Ages: studies in English constitutional history (Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1951); editor Studies in manorial history (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1938); introduction to Selected historical essays of F. W. Maitland (University Press, Cambridge, 1957).

Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematics, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1980-1981; London Transport Executive, 1960.

Publications: Statistical assessment of the life characteristic: a bibliographic guide (Charles Griffin and Co, London, 1964); Bibliography of basic texts and monographs on statistical methods (The Hague, 1951); A dictionary of statistical terms (Oliver and Boyd for the International Statistical Institute, Edinburgh and London, 1957); Russian-English/English-Russian glossary of statistical terms (Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 1971); Bibliography of basic texts and monographs on statistical methods, 1945-1960 (Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 1963).

Born 1891; educated Armstrong College, Durham University, gaining his BSc in 1912; 1851 Exhibitioner, Kristiania University, Norway, 1914-1915; gained MSc at Armstrong College, 1916; served World War One, 1914-1918, as Capt, Royal Army Medical Corps, 1917-1919; Lecturer in Geology, Armstrong College, 1919-1921; Head of Geology Department, 1921-1956, and Professor of Geology, 1928-1956, Bedford College, University of London; awarded the Lyell Fund by the Geological Society of London, 1927; Secretary, 1934-1942, and President, 1954-1957, Geological Society of London; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1952; President, Mineralogical Society, 1954-1957; Murchison Medallist, 1946; Wollaston Medallist, 1962, Geological Society of London; Emeritus Professor, 1956; retired, [1956]; Fellow of Bedford College, 1971; died 1981.

Publications: Geology and time (University of Nottingham, Nottingham, 1953); Iceland (Geographical Handbook Series, London, 1942).

Born 1889; educated at Earlsmead and Queen Mary College, and University College London; Resident Science Master, St George's School, Eastbourne, East Sussex, 1910-1911; Physics Master, Tavistock Grammar School, Devon, 1911-1913; Head of Science Department, Leamington College, Warwickshire, 1913-1920; Lecturer in Physics, Leamington Technical School, 1913-1920; served World War One, 1914-1918, as Lt, Royal Garrison Artillery, in Italy, Mesopotamia and India; RAF Educational Service, 1920-1949; Principal Deputy Director of Educational Services, Air Ministry, 1945-1949; Secretary, Insignia Awards Committee, City and Guilds of London Institute, 1950-1958; died 1962.

Publications: A student's heat (J.M. Dent and Sons, London and Toronto, 1916); An introduction to advanced heat (London, 1928); An introduction to mechanics (W.D. Willis, Bombay and English Universities Press, London, 1963): An introduction to physical science (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1925); Elementary experimental statics (J.M. Dent and Sons, London and Toronto, 1915); An elementary textbook (London, 1925); James Watt, pioneer of mechanical power (Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, [1962]); James Watt and the history of steam power (Henry Schuman, New York, [1949]); Leonardo da Vinci, supreme artist and scientist (Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1964); Makers of science, mathematics, physics, astronomy etc (Humphrey Milford, London, 1923); The great engineers (Methuen and Co, London, 1928); The great physicists (Methuen and Co, London, 1927); The mechanical investigations of Leonardo da Vinci (University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, 1963); The world of Leonard da Vinci, man of science, engineer and dreamer of flight (Macdonald, London, 1961); Elementary aeronautical science (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1923).

No information available at present.

Publications: As Jennie Melville - A different kind of summer (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1967); A new kind of killer, an old kind of death (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1970); Burning is a substitute for loving (Michael Joseph, London, 1963); Come home and be killed (Michael Joseph, London, 1962); Ironwood (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1972); Murderers' houses (Michael Joseph, London, 1964); Nell alone (Michael Joseph, London, 1966); Nun's Castle (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1974); Raven's Forge (Macmillan, London, 1975); The summer assassin (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1971); There lies your love (Michael Joseph, London, 1965); The hunter in the shadows (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1969); Dragon's eye (Macmillan, London, 1977); Axwater (Macmillian, London, 1978); Murder has a pretty face (Macmillan, London, 1981); The painted castle (Macmillan, London, 1982); The hand of glass (Macmillan, London, 1983); Listen to the children (Macmillan, London, 1986); Death in the garden (Macmillan, London, 1987); Windsor red (Macmillan, London, 1988); A cure for dying (Macmillan, London, 1989); Witching murder (Macmillan, London, 1990); Footsteps in the blood (Macmillan, London, 1990); Dead set (Macmillan, London, 1992); Whoever has the heart (Macmillan, London, 1993); Baby drop (Macmillan, London, 1994); The morbid kitchen (Macmillan, London, 1995); The woman who was not there (Macmillan, London, 1996); Revengeful death (Macmillan, London, 1997).

Born 1885; educated privately and at Girton College, Cambridge University, 1905-1908, and the University of London, where she obtained an MA (Philosophy) in 1912; Visiting Lecturer and subsequently Director in Moral Sciences Studies, Girton and Newnham Colleges, Cambridge University, 1911-1924; Lecturer in Philosophy, King's College, University of London, 1913-1915; Visiting Lecturer in Philosophy at Homerton Training College, 1914-1921, and at Westfield College, University of London, 1914-1920; Lecturer in Philosophy, Bedford College, University of London, 1920; Reader, 1924-1933, and Professor of Philosophy, 1933-1943, Bedford College; Principal, Kingsley Lodge School for Girls, Hampstead, London, 1915-1943; Research Fellow, Girton College, 1923-1924; Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, 1916; Visiting Professor, Columbia University, New York, USA, 1931-1932; President of the Aristotelian Society, 1933-1934; President of the Mind Association, 1934-1935; died 1943.

Publications: Philosophical studies: essays in memory of L. Susan Stebbing (Allen and Unwin, London, 1948); A modern elementary logic (Methuen and Co, London, 1943); A modern introduction to logic (Methuen and Co, London, 1930); Ideals and illusions (Watts and Co, London, 1941); Logic in practice (London, 1934); Logical positivism and analysis (Humphrey Milford, London, [193]); Men and moral principles (Oxford University Press, London, 1944); Philosophy and the physicists (Methuen and Co, London, 1937); Pragmatism and French voluntarism (1914); Thinking to some purpose (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1939).

Stephen Schenk as he is known in many of his papers actually had the initials R.S Schenk but it is unclear as to what the "R" represented; born, 29th July 1921 and was awarded a BSc. in Sociology; began teaching on a temporary basis at Bedford College in 1962 as a visiting lecturer before in 1966 taking up a permanent lectureship; died 1987.

Born 1875; educated village school at Holme St Cuthbert, Cumberland, Agricultural College, Aspatria, West Cumberland, and Royal College of Science and King's College, University of London; Teacher at a school in Towcester, Northamptonshire, 1896-1898; Mathematics Master, Beccles College, Suffolk, and Craven College, Highgate, 1898-[1901]; taught in Berlitz School of Languages, Elberfeld, Germany, and at branches of the school in Dortmund, Münster, Barmen and Cologne, [1901-1902]; Student of Mathematics, University of Leipzig, Germany, 1902-1906; Assistant Lecturer, Wheatstone Laboratory, King's College, University of London, 1906-1920; Reader in Physics, King's College London, 1920-1921; Hildred Carlile Professor of Physics, Bedford College, University of London, 1921-1944; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1923; Fellow of King's College London; Professor Emeritus, [1944]; retired 1944; died 1965.

Publications: translated Nuclear Physics (Methuen and Co, London, 1953); A hundred years of physics (Gerald Duckworth and co, London, 1950); Theoretical Physics (Methuen and Co, London, 1931-1940); The microphysical world (Methuen and Co, London, 1951).

Born 1882; educated Manchester High School for Girls and Manchester University, where she was a Jones Fellow in History, 1904, and gained an MA in 1906; Assistant Lecturer in History, University of Manchester, 1906-1913; Editorial Section, War Trade Intelligence Department, 1916-1919; Reader in History, [King's College London], University of London, 1913-1922; Fellow of Royal Historical Society; Member of London University History Board and the Board of Examiners; Professor of History, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1922-1942; retired 1942; Honorary Archivist to the Bishop of Chichester, 1942-1951; Emeritus Professor of History in University of London, 1948-1961; Honorary Consultant on Ecclesiastical Archives to Records Committee, West Sussex County Council, 1951; died 1961.

Publications: The wardrobe and household of Henry, son of Edward I (University Press, Manchester, 1923); Annals of Ghent (Thomas Nelson and Sons, London, 1951); A hundred years of history from record and chronicle, 1216-1327 (Longmans and Co, London, 1912); A short history of England (P. Varadachary and Co, Madras, 1934); English history for beginners (P. Varadachary and Co, Madras, 1934); France: the last Capetians (1932); Oliver Cromwell and his times ([1912]); Stories of Greece and Rome (Longmans and Co, London, 1914); Alexander Hay: historian of Chichester (Chichester, 1961); editor of Churchwardens presentments, 17th century (Lewes, 1948); editor of Letters of Edward, Prince of Wales, 1304-1305 (Cambridge, 1931); Happy days in healthy ways (Macmillan and Co, London, 1923); The place of the reign of Edward II in English history (Manchester, 1936); editor of State trials of the reign of Edward the First, 1289-1293 (London, 1906).

Educated at Oxford University and Trinity College, Dublin; taught English and Germanic Philosophy at Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1899-1915, being a Senior Staff Lecturer from 1905; Secretary of the Staff, Royal Holloway College; Director of Studies of English and Philology, Girton College, Cambridge, 1915; died 1951.

Publications: Henryson: selected fables (Sidgwick and Jackson, London, 1930); editor of The Middle English poem, Erthe upon Erthe, printed from twenty-four manuscripts (London, 1911).

Born 1893; educated Rochester Grammar School for Girls; obtained Kent County Major Scholarship, 1912; gained degree in English, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1915; Assistant Mistress, The Kerri School, Reigate, 1916; Assistant Mistress, Junior House, Reodean School, Brighton, 1916-1921; Assistant Mistress, 1921-1926, and Second Mistress, 1926-1929, The High School, North Brink, Wisbech; Assistant Mistress, Wheelright Grammar School for Girls, Dewsbury, 1929-1932; Assistant Mistress, County School for Girls, East Sheen, London; Assistant Mistress, Richmond and East Sheen County School for Girls, 1939-1941; Assistant Mistress, Rosebery County School, Epsom, 1941-1955; retired 1955; died 1994.

Born 1894; educated privately and at Trinity College of Music and King's College London; research work on the literary ballad in English, Somerville College, Oxford University, 1916-1917; Lecturer in German, University of Liverpool, 1917-1921; Independent Lecturer in German and Teutonic Philology, University College of North Wales, Bangor, 1921-1933; served on the Court of the University of Wales, 1926-1929; Member of the Council, University College of North Wales, 1928; Professor of German Language and Literature, Bedford College, University of London, 1933-1962; Member of Senate of University of London, 1950-1962; President of the Music Society, Bedford College; Fellow of Trinity College of Music, 1951; Chairman of Committee of Management, Warburg Institute, University of London, 1945-1965; Chairman, 1950-1953, and Director, 1953-1956, Institute of Germanic Languages and Literature; Emeritus Professor, 1962; retired 1962; died 1968.

Publications: editor of Von deutscher art und kunst (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1924); editor of Herodes und Mariamne (Oxford, 1943); Poems. Selected and edited by Edna Purdie (Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1953); Friedrich Hebbel, etc (Oxford University Press, London, 1932); Studies in German literature of the eighteenth century: some aspects of literary affiliation (Athlone Press, London, 1965); The story of Judith in German and English literature (Honoré Champion, Paris, 1927); editor of Henry Handel Richardson: some personal impressions (Angus and Robertson, Sydney, 1957); A history of German literature (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh and London, 1959); editor of Essays and addresses in literature (Routledge and Sons, London, 1935); editor of Lessing's dramatic theory. Being an introduction to and commentary on his 'Hamburgische Dramaturgie' (Cambridge University Press, 1939).