Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

The Department of General Literature and Science came into being in 1839 in response to the need for a greater differentiation of the syllabus for students of the Senior Department at King's College London. As its name suggests, it constituted a broad faculty or grouping of subjects and classes that provided a core liberal syllabus in the arts and sciences available to all students of King's, including Medical students. Principal subjects included English Literature, Theology, Modern History, Classics, Modern Languages and Mathematics, but later instruction covered subjects as diverse as Geology, Law, Political Economy and Oriental Languages. The division between General Literature and Science Departments, that took place in 1888, foreshadowed the replacement of General Literature by the new Faculty of Arts in 1893.

Courses in English Literature and Modern History were provided in the Senior Department from 1831 and in the Department of General Literature and Science shortly afterwards. English and History were separated in 1855. The installation of Samuel Rawson Gardiner as first Professor in 1876 marked the beginning of a focus in the department on the political and constitutional history of Tudor and Stuart England. The department underwent considerable enlargement in staff and in the breadth of its teaching from around 1912 under Professor Fossey John Cobb Hearnshaw, especially with the establishment of the Rhodes Chair of Imperial History in 1919. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893 and the School of Humanities in 1989.

Vocal music was a subject taught in the Department of General Literature and Science between 1843 and 1915. Music was an externally examined subject within the University of London from around 1900 until the University of London King Edward Chair was converted into a full-time professorship based at King's College in a new Faculty of Music in 1964. The Faculty of Arts and Music was created in 1986 which became a part of the School of Humanities in 1989.

Instruction in physics began in 1831 in the form of lectures in natural and experimental philosophy delivered to students in the Senior Department, from 1839 the Department of General Literature and Science and later the Department of Applied Sciences. Natural and experimental divisions were separated in 1834 when Charles Wheatstone was appointed Professor of Experimental Philosophy, a post he occupied until his death in 1875. Classes in natural philosophy were available to Evening Class students and students of the Medical Faculty and Faculty of Engineering, but the Physics Department properly became part of the Faculty of Science in 1893. In 1923 Physics became part of the Faculty of Natural Science, which later formed part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. This became the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 1991. Charles Wheatstone, responsible for pioneering experiments in the fields of electric telegraphy, batteries, harmonics and optics, upon his death bequeathed an extensive collection of scientific instruments and equipment to the College to form the Wheatstone Laboratory, one of the earliest physical laboratories in the country. Other notables include James Clerk Maxwell, pioneer in the study of electromagnetism, who was Professor of Natural Philosophy, 1860-1865; Charles Glover Barkla, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1909-1914, who whilst at the University of Edinburgh was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1917 for work on X-rays; Sir Owen Richardson, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1914-1922, awarded a Nobel Prize for Physics in 1928 for prior work on thermionics undertaken at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge; Sir Edward Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1924-1936, who conducted experiments on the interaction of radio waves with the earth's atmosphere at the Strand and at the College's Halley Stewart Laboratories, Hampstead, for which he was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1947, whilst employed by the British Government's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; and Maurice Hugh Frederick Wilkins, Deputy Director of the Medical Research Council Biophysics Research Unit, later the Department of Biophysics, King's College London, 1955, whose work on the structure of the DNA molecule was rewarded with the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962.

Spanish was taught at King's College from 1831, initially as a course in the Senior Department and then the Department of General Literature and Science, then as a Faculty of Arts course until 1923/4, when it became recognised in its own right as the Spanish Studies Department. In 1973, the department changed its title to the Spanish and Spanish-American Studies Department in recognition of a broadening Latin American syllabus, and has been part of the School of Humanities since 1989.

The Faculty of Science was originally founded in 1893, of which the Division of Natural Science formed a part, before becoming the Faculty of Natural Science in 1921. The Faculty was eventually closed in 1985 and its constituent departments and successors now fall mainly under the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering and the School of Life and Health Sciences.

King's College London Department of Theology was established in 1846 for the preparation of graduates and other candidates for Holy Orders. The Transfer Act of 1908 separated the secular and theological components of King's, creating institutions known respectively as The University of London, King's College, and the Theological Department of King's College London. The College Council retained all its powers in relation to the Faculty of Theology, but a Theological Committee was instituted to advise the Council and to superintend, under its direction, the work carried on in the Theological Department of the College. The Theological Department was thereafter a School of the University within the Faculty of Theology and the Head of the Theological Department was the Dean of King's College. Undergraduate courses available included the BD, intended as a first stage for teaching in schools or as a preparation for ordination, and the AKC, which overlapped with the BD but contained a more practical element for those meaning to enter ordained ministry. Postgraduate courses included the MTh, MPhil and PhD. In 1958 the University decided to make money available for more teaching posts in Theology, which were established within the Faculty of Arts, King's College. This led to the development of more non-vocational theological classes including courses in Religious Studies. Theology was formally reunited with the rest of the College in 1980 under the title King's College London. It is currently known as the Department of Theology and Religious Studies and is part of the School of Humanities.

King's College Hospital

Ephemeral literature, serial publications including reports, and visual material were created or collected by staff of King's College Hospital in the conduct of their business.

The Appeal Committee, also known as the Special Appeal Committee and the Appeal Sub-Committee, reported to the Appeal Council from 1922 to 1924: the Appeal Council was the managing body with the Appeal Committee as the executive. The Medical School Centenary Committee was set up for the Medical School centenary 1831-1931. The General Board of Teachers was one of the Statutory Boards assisting the Committee of Management with the government of the Medical School, and consisted of the members of the Medical Board and of all persons officially engaged in teaching in the Medical School, meeting for the first time in 1910. The Cambridge House Day Centre was a joint venture sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation and administered and staffed by King's College Hospital.

King's College Hospital Standing Sub-Committee of Finance was appointed in 1855, to raise funds for the Hospital. In 1875 it became the Finance Committee. In 1948 it became the Finance and General Purposes Committee, when the King's College Hospital Group came into being. The Board of Governors of the Group delegated much power to the Finance and General Purposes Committee.

King's College Hospital Friends

The earliest reference of what was later called the Friends of King's College Hospital, was in the annual report of 1903, which mentioned the "Needlework Guild" contributing 604 garments and £42 cash for "comforts of the ward" that year. The members of the Guild were local ladies. In 1910 the Guild made and donated a large amount of linen to the Hospital, including blankets, sheets, pillowcases and towels. In 1917 Dowager Viscountess Lady Esther Hambleden formed from the Needlework Guild, a 'Ladies Association', whose main object was to collect money for the Hospital and for the patients' comforts. The Association raised money for the Hospital, made 400 blackout curtains in World War Two, started and staffed a canteen, gave money for improvements to the Nurses' Home, opened a flower shop and was responsible for flower arrangements in the Hospital. Viscountess Lady Hambleden served as Chairman of the Friends from 1917 to 1944, followed by Dowager Lady Stanley 1944-1947, and the Hon Katherine Acland 1947-1966. From 1966 the Chairman held a three year term of office. In 1961 the Ladies Association and the Ladies Association of Belgrave Hospital for Children became the Friends of King's College Hospital, its basic principles remaining the same: to provide amenities and comforts for the benefit of patients and staff of King's College Hospital. All its members are volunteers. The Friends established the Kingfishers, a junior branch specially concerned with raising money for child patients, with its own Committee.

Born, 1863, educated, King's College School, 1876-1880, entered Medical Department, King's College London, 1880; Carter Gold Medal and Prize for Botany, 1882; Warneford Prize for Theology and Leathes Prize for Religious Knowledge, 1883; member Royal College of Surgeons, 1885; obtained honours in Materia Medica at the first Bachelor of Medicine Examination in 1883, final with honours in Obstetrics and in Forensic Medicine, 1886, first class honours and Gold Medal, Bachelor of Surgery Examination, 1887; Gold Medal, Master of Surgery Examination, 1888; appointed House Surgeon, King's College Hospital to John Wood, Professor of Clinical Surgery, 1886; Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1889; appointed Assistant Surgeon to King's College Hospital and Teacher of Practical Surgery, Teacher of Operative Surgery, and Surgeon, 1898; Professor of Surgery in King's College, 1902-1918, resigned from honorary staff, Senior Surgeon to King's and Consulting Surgeon, 1919; elected Chairman of the Medical Board, 1914, Colonel in the Army Medical Service, and Consulting Surgeon to Eastern Command, 1914-1918; elected a Fellow of King's College London, 1908, Honorary Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 1920, Honorary Medical Director of Barnardo Homes following retirement from King's College. Died 1936. Publications: With William Rose, A manual of surgery (London, 1898), 19th edition (London, 1960).

Born, 1849; educated Trinity College, Toronto, University of Toronto, 1868-1870, McGill University, Montreal, 1870-1872, University College London, 1872-1873; Professor of the Institutes of Medicine, McGill University, 1874-1884; Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 1884-1889; Professor of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 1889-1904; Professor of Medicine, University of Oxford, 1904-1919; elected to the Royal College of Physicians, 1884, and to the Royal Society, 1898; died, 1919.

Publications: The cerebral palsies of children (London, 1889) The principles and practice of medicine (Edinburgh, 1891); On Chorea and choreiform affections (London, 1894); Lectures on Angina Pectoris and allied states (New York, 1897); Cancer of the stomach. A clinical study (London, 1900); Aequanimitas. With other addresses to medical students, nurses and practitioners of medicine (London, 1904); The student life. A farewell address to Canadian and American medical students (Oxford, 1905); Counsels and ideals from the writings of William Osler (Oxford, 1905); The growth of truth, as illustrated in the discovery of the circulation of the blood (London, 1906); Science and immortality (London, 1906); An Alabama student, and other biographical essays (Oxford, 1908); Thomas Linacre (Cambridge, 1908); The treatment of disease (London, 1909); Incunabula medica. A study of the earlier printed medical books, 1467-1480 (London, 1923); The tuberculous soldier (London, 1961).

Born, 8 July 1903; Bacteriology Course, King's College London, 1922-1923; worked at Fulham Tuberculosis Dispensary, and at Farringdon General Dispensary and Lying in Charity, 1923-1925; qualified as a Dispensing Assistant to an Apothecary, Society of Apothecaries of London, `The Westminster Classes', Queen Anne's Chambers, London, 1925.

Born 1906 in Chita, Siberia, and originally named Alexander Lebedeff; moved to Harbin, China, 1922; awarded a Russian Diploma in Civil and Railway Engineering, Harbin Polytechnical Institute, China, 1930; worked in Shanghai, China, on the construction of skyscrapers, submitted articles to the Engineering Society of China, 1931-1935, and became interested in theosophy and naturopathy; enrolled as a student in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 1936; cadet medical officer in the Hong Kong Defence Force, 1938; lieutenant medical officer, Hong Kong, 1941; Japanese POW, 1941-1945; moved to England, enrolled as a medical student, University of London, 1946, and changed his surname to Swan; Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of London, 1949; worked as a Houseman and locum in General Practice, Sheffield, Yorkshire, 1950-1952; Pathology Department, King's college Hospital, 1952-1954; appointed successively Registrar, Senior Medical Officer and Consultant Pathologist in Haematology, St James Hospital, Balham, London; Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, 1971; retired 1971; further research in leukaemia, Marsden Hospital Group Cancer Research Foundation Leukaemia Unit, 1972-1974; died 1980.

Born, 1852, educated King's College, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh University, graduating, 1875; after a brief visit to Vienna, appointed House-Surgeon to Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, and also appointed Demonstrator of Anatomy in Edinburgh University, 1876-1877; Lister's first House Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1877; Extra-Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1878; Assistant Surgeon and Teacher of Practical Surgery, 1880; Surgeon with Care of Out-Patients, 1887; Surgeon and Teacher of Operative Surgery, 1889; Professor of the Principles and Practice of Surgery, 1902; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1894; Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1879; Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons, 1888, 1890-1892; President, Royal College of Surgeons, 1914-1916; Civil Consulting Surgeon to British forces during the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902; Consulting Surgeon to the Royal Navy, 1915; Knight Commander, Order of St Michael and St George, 1916; elected Member of Parliament for the University of Edinburgh and St Andrews, 1917; Member of Parliament for the Combined Scottish Universities, 1918-1922; Died, 1932.

Publications: translated Robert Koch, Investigations into the etiology of traumatic infective diseases (London, 1880); Antiseptic surgery, its principles, practice, history and results (Smith, Elder and Co., London, 1882), that was derived from his thesis for the Jacksonian prize awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons, 1881; Manual of the antiseptic treatment of wounds (Smith, Elder and Co., London, 1885); Suppuration and septic diseases (Y. J. Pentland, Edinburgh and London, 1889); translated Carl Flugge, Micro-organisms, with special reference to the etiology of the infective diseases (London, 1890); The objects and limits of operations for cancer (Bailliere and Co., London, 1896); On the treatment of tuberculosis diseases in their surgical aspect (J. Bale and Co., London, 1900); Tuberculosis diseases of bones and joints, their pathology, symptoms, and treatment (London, 1911); Lister and his achievement (Longmans and Co., London, 1925), the first Lister Memorial Lecture delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons, 1925.

Born, 1858, attended King's College School, 1874-1877; student in the Medical Department of King's College London from 1877; Associate of King's College, 1889, qualifying in 1890; studied under Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery at King's College; probably a Senior Dresser under Jeremiah Penny, House Surgeon at King's, 1890; died, 1950.

John Vivian Dacie was born on 20th July 1912 in Putney, London; educated at King's College School; attended King's College London Faculty of Medical Science, King's College Hospital, and qualified in medicine in 1935; became a member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1936; licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1935; Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1935 and a Reader in Haematology. After a year in the pathology department at King's College Hospital, Dacie took his first research post at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, at Hammersmith Hospital, London, to study haemolytic anaemia. He then moved to Manchester Royal Infirmary where he investigated a patient with paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria, a rare chronic haemolytic anaemia; this began his interest in the illness. In 1937, he spent 6 months working with Dame Janet Vaughan at the British Postgraduate School, Hammersmith Hospital.

During World War Two, Dacie served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps (Emergency Medical Service), working as a pathologist, 1939-1942; Dacie found that injured troops, who had lost a lot of blood on the battleground, did better when given plasma rather than whole blood and he devised more effective blood-transfusion methods for field hospitals for the Royal Army Medical Corps, 1943-1946. After the war, he became Senior Lecturer in Haematology in the Department of Clinical Pathology at the Postgraduate Medical School (which later became the Royal Postgraduate Medical School of London), the only institution in the UK at that time devoted to clinical academic medicine.

Dacie was appointed the first Professor of Haematology in the United Kingdom, at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, 1956; pioneered the laboratory investigation of hemolytic anaemia; developed a remarkable expertise in the laboratory diagnosis of the leukaemias; wrote 180 scientific papers; founded the Leukaemia Research Fund, 1960; elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, 1967; knighted, 1976; President of the Royal College of Pathologists, 1973-1975, President of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1977; founder and editor of the British Journal of Haematology and retired in 1977. He died in 2005.

Publications: Dacie and Lewis practical haematology (Churchill Livingstone, London, 2001); The Haemolytic anaemias: congenital and acquired (J & A Churchill Ltd, London, 1954); The Haemolytic anaemias part 1: the congenital anaemias (Churchill, 1960); The haemolytic anaemias part 2 (Churchill, 1963); Haemolytic anaemias part 3 (Churchill, 1967); Haemolytic anaemias part 4 (Churchill, 1967); The hereditary haemolytic anaemias : the Davidson Lecture delivered on Friday, January 13th, 1967 at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh by J.V. Dacie (Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 1967); British Medical Bulletin v.11, no. 1, 1955 'Blood Coagulation and thrombosis Hormones in Reproduction', Scientific editor: J. V. Dacie (Medical Department, British Council, London, 1955).

King's College Hospital

Registers were created by the staff of King's College Hospital in the conduct of their business. Also includes indexes of Belgrave Hospital for Children and the Royal Eye Hospital which joined King's College Hospital Group in 1948, and Dulwich Hospital which joined in 1963.

The Thrombosis Research Unit was established in 1965, with a remit to undertake a clinical research programme devoted to the study of thrombosis in patients following surgery. In 1975 the Unit expanded and was given new laboratory space. In 1985 it was decided to expand the activities of the Unit into a new Thrombosis Research Institute, the first of its kind in Europe, a multidisciplinary organisation devoted to basic and clinical research in thrombosis and atheroma.

The Medical School Library was founded in 1839, when the first King's College Hospital was opened in Portugal Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. Apart from an early Report Book covering the years 1839-1852, few records refer to it until 1946. During World War Two, the upkeep of the Library had been unavoidably neglected. A Library Sub-committee was elected in 1945 and the next year a new appointment was made, that of a full-time Librarian.

When King's College Hospital opened in 1840, the Council of King's College London was also the governing body of the Hospital, with the right to appoint all medical staff. All members of the Council were ex-officio Governors of the Hospital, and the Council appointed two of its number to be members of the Hospital's Committee of Management. The Governors of the Hospital consisted mainly of major donors and subscribers. The Committee of Management undertook the daily administration of the Hospital and appointed lay officers including the Secretary. In July 1948 when the National Health Service Act (1946) came into operation, a Board of Governors took responsibility for the control and management of the King's College Hospital Group. When the first reorganisation of the National Health Service took place in April 1974, King's College Hospital Group was replaced by King's Health District (Teaching), and the Board of Governors were replaced by a District Management Team which included a District Administrator.

In 1908 all the King's College Hospital Clubs and Societies became amalgamated, and the Clubs and Societies Union of King's College Hospital Medical School was inaugurated. The Union was managed by a Council consisting of a President, a Treasurer, and an Honorary Secretary, and representatives of the honorary staff, resident medical officers, and students. The Union embraced the Listerian Society, the Dental Society, the Common Rooms, the Musical Society, the Athletic, the Cricket, Football, Lawn Tennis, Hockey, Swimming, Boxing, Squash, Golf, and Dance Clubs, and the Christian Union.

The King's College London Old Students' Association, founded in 1920, became the King's College London Association in 1952. The Association caters for alumni from King's College and the colleges with which it has merged. It organises social and other events, offers careers advice to students, and raises money for the College. Smaller groups reflect the interests of alumni in particular subjects or from particular countries. The Association produced magazines for alumni including, from 1987, the publication In Touch.

The King's College London Engineers' Association was established in 1920 as the Engineering Branch of the King's College Old Students' Association, the department dealing with alumni that evolved into the current King's College London Association (KCLA). The organisation is still very active and helps facilitate contact between past and present students and staff.

Department of Civil Engineering and Mining established at King's College London, 1838, and Engineering Society, 1847; begins reading of papers that average 12-20 a year on subjects including early photography, modern manufacturing methods, and in particular on bridges, tunnels, railways and other civil engineering projects, 1847; Society changes its name to King's College Scientific Society, 1854; Society dissolved, 1855; re-established as the Engineering Society by Professor Thomas Minchin Goodeve, 1857; increasing popularity and importance of the Society from around 1870; members during this period include Llewellyn Atkinson and Charles Henry Wordingham, each subsequently President of the Institution of Electrical Engineers; regular instructional works visits to engineering sites commence, 1886; occasional exhibitions begin, 1894; first annual dinner, 1895; lunch time debates initiated from [1906]; Old Students Section of the Engineering Society formed, 1919; first edition of The King's engineer, 1921-1922; relocation of Society with College to Bristol, 1939-1943; centenary celebrations, 1947; Society still active, 2001.

King's College London , Ladies Club

King's College London Ladies Club, founded in 1970 for female members of staff and wives of members of staff, aimed to promote social contact and provide a meeting place.

After the government extended the range of the entry examination to the Civil Service in 1875, William Braginton set up private classes for those seeking entry into the lower grades. A connection established with King's College allowed him to use rooms in the College. In the session 1875-1876, 172 young men were admitted and a Civil Service Department was established. In 1897 Braginton's school moved into the basement of King's College and became known as the Strand School. In 1909, following a commitment by London County Council to provide new premises in Brixton, government of the school was handed over to a committee. In 1910 Braginton resigned and was replaced by R B Henderson, who supervised the move in 1913. Strand School flourished for a number of years as a boys' grammar school and later merged with a nearby girls' school.

Nineteenth-century student societies at King's College London included an Athletic Club, formed in 1884. In 1905 the College's Union Society was reformed to obtain common rooms, form a college debating society and gymnastic and other clubs, and provide entertainments. In 1908 it was reorganised, taking over the Athletic Club and all social activities of the College, and from 1919 it developed rapidly in size and organization. The modern Union represents the student body, supports sports clubs and other societies, and offers facilities including bars, entertainments, and welfare advice.

Supported by G C W Warr, Professor of Classics at King's College London, and the Principal Alfred Barry, from 1878 lectures for ladies were held in the old town hall in Kensington. Attendance outgrew the lecture rooms, which in 1879 were moved to a house in Observatory Avenue, Kensington. From 1881 moves were made to found a ladies' department of King's College based on this initiative, with the necessary statutory powers obtained by an Act of Parliament which received the royal assent in 1882. The Ladies' Department was inaugurated in 1885 at no 13 Kensington Square. It was to be administered, under the Council of King's College, by an executive committee. The principal of King's College was head of the department, with a lady superintendent (from 1891 known as the vice principal) as his deputy in Kensington Square. The department's function at this period was not to prepare its students for definite professional careers, but to give them a taste of a liberal education. Under Lilian Faithfull as vice-principal (1894-1907) the department developed the character of a university college. In 1898 the application for the admission of women to the King's College associateship was granted by the Council. From 1902 the department was known as the Women's Department, and students took examinations for London University degrees and Oxford or Cambridge diplomas. A movement for university education in home science, although controversial among educationists, resulted in courses beginning in 1908. At that period the policy of the department, with the concurrence of the Delegacy of King's College and the Senate of the University, was to establish on a new site in Kensington a complete university college for women. Under the King's College London Transfer Act (1908), in 1910 the Women's Department was incorporated in the University of London with a distinct existence as King's College for Women. Owing to pressure on space from increasing numbers, nos 11 and 12 Kensington Square were added to the College's premises in 1911-1912. In 1913 a special delegacy for King's College for Women was constituted by the Senate of the University of London. However, in 1913 the Haldane report of the Royal Commission on the University of London unexpectedly recommended that the Home Science Department alone should be developed in Kensington. On a new site at Campden Hill, Kensington (the Blundell Hall estate), originally intended for the whole of King's College for Women, buildings for the Household and Social Science Department (after 1928 King's College for Household and Social Science) were begun in 1914 and went into use in 1915. The conversion of King's College to a co-educational institution by the absorption of King's College for Women was agreed in 1914 and the arts and science departments moved from Kensington Square to the Strand in January 1915. King's College for Women in the Strand remained constitutionally a separate legal entity, since the Transfer Act of 1908 could only be altered by Act of Parliament, but for all practical purposes King's College for Women became an integral part of King's College. The number of women students began to increase rapidly and in 1921 King's College Hostel for Women opened in Bayswater, subsequently expanded from time to time by taking in adjoining houses.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

In 1871 King's College London began courses of lectures and classes to meet the needs of higher education for women, reflecting the support of its Principal, the Rev Dr Barry. Following these early developments, a women's college was opened in 1877 in Kensington. In 1885, this became a constituent department of King's College London known as the Ladies' Department. Classes were provided in the field of Arts, Sciences, Fine Art and Music and Theology, as well as more practical subjects. In 1895 students began working for Oxford Honours examinations, and Science courses were arranged for External examinations. In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College (AKC) to students and in 1900 students began preparing for internal degrees, as a result of which in 1902 the Ladies' Department became known as the Women's Department. The Home Science Department was founded in 1908. In 1910, the Women's Department was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College, and named King's College for Women. In the session 1914-1915 the work of the College diverged. Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred to King's College on the Strand. Home Science, however, became the Household and Social Science Department, still a department of King's College for Women, but relocated to new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

Frida, daughter of Adolf Meyer Loewenthal of Cologne, born c1847; married in 1866 her cousin Ludwig Mond (born in Cassel, 1839; came to England, 1862; prominent manufacturing chemist and philanthropist; Managing Director of Brunner, Mond & Co Ltd); two sons (Sir Robert Ludwig Mond, 1867-1938, chemist, industrialist, and archaeologist; Alfred Moritz Mond, 1st Baron Melchett, 1868-1930, industrialist, financier and politician); homes at the Hollies, Farnworth, near Widnes, then Winnington Hall, near Northwich, and latterly the Poplars, Avenue Road, Regent's Park London, the Palazzo Zuccari, Rome, and Combe Bank, near Sevenoaks; widowed, 1909; member of the Council of the English Goethe Society; endowed a Goethe Scholarship Fund of the Goethe Society, 1911; friend of Sir Israel Gollancz; died 1923; a benefactor of King's College London; also endowed a British Academy lectureship and prize on Anglo-Saxon and English.

Murrell , Eric Sidney , d 1983 , author

Studied at Lincoln College, Oxford, 1922-1930; submitted thesis for the degree of B Litt, Oxford University, 1930; died, 1983. Connection with King's College London not known. Publications: "Girart de Roussillon" and the "Tristan" Poems (Bales & Wilde, Chesterfield, 1926); as editor, The Death of Tristan, from Deuce MS 189 ([New York, 1928]); For your tomorrow: a cipher-sergeant's diary, 1941-1945, by 2075687, known in civilian life as Eric S Murrell (Dorchester Plush, c1999), concerning Burma campaign, World War Two.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College has its origins in the lectures for Ladies first arranged in 1878 by King's College London, and a formalised Ladies Department was founded in 1881. The King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908 led to the establishment of the college as King's College for Women, governed by a Delegacy of the University of London. In 1915, all the departments excepting the Household and Social Science Department amalgamated with King's College, and in 1928 the department became a School of the University of London as King's College of Household and Social Science. In 1953 the College was granted a new charter as Queen Elizabeth College, and in 1985 merged with King's College London and Chelsea College. Following the merger the personnel functions of all three colleges were integrated in a single department which took responsibility for the staff and reported to the College Secretary.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

St Giles Hospital Nursing School

St Giles Hospital was founded as Camberwell Workhouse Infirmary in 1875. In 1913 it became Camberwell Parish Infirmary. In 1929 a Local Government Act transferred the care of Poor Law hospitals to the local County Councils, who were also given responsibility for the sick in their area. London County Council took over the parish of St Giles. In 1948, when the National Health Service Act came into operation, the St Giles Hospital, (as it had become), came under the administrative control of Camberwell Hospital Management Committee, which included St Francis and Dulwich Hospitals. In 1966 St Giles Hospital joined the King's College Teaching Hospital Group. This resulted in St Giles Hospital Nursing School being merged with King's College Hospital Nursing School.

Born in Perth, 1873; educated at Sharp's Educational Institution, Perth, and Robert Gordon's College and University, Aberdeen; graduated MA with First Class Honours in Classics and Jenkyns Prize in Classical Philology, Aberdeen University, 1893; Ferguson Scholar in Classics, 1893; Fullerton Scholar in Classics, 1894; Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (Scholar); First Class in Classical Tripos, Part I, 1896, and Second Class, Part II, 1897; BA (Cambridge University), 1896; University Assistant in Humanity and Lecturer in Latin, 1897-1903, and Lecturer in Mediæval Palæography, Aberdeen University, 1903; DLitt (Aberdeen), 1905; Yates Professor of New Testament Greek and Exegesis and Librarian, Mansfield College Oxford, 1903-1911; MA (Oxford University), 1908; Regius Professor of Humanity, Aberdeen University, 1911-1937; Lecturer in Mediæval Palæography, Aberdeen University, 1913-1937; Curator of Aberdeen University Library, 1919-1924, 1927-1928; Vice-Chancellor, Aberdeen University, 1935-1936; Stone Lecturer, Princeton Theological Seminary, 1924-1925, 1927-1928; Norton Lecturer, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, USA, 1924-1925; Russell Lecturer, Auburn Theological Seminary, USA, 1932-1933; Doctor of Divinity, St Andrews, 1923, Dublin, 1932; MA (Cambridge University), 1930; Doctor of Laws (Aberdeen), 1938; Fellow of the British Academy, 1926 (Member of Council, 1938-1947); awarded British Academy Medal for Biblical Studies, 1932; Corresponding Fellow of the Mediæval Academy of America, 1938; Active Member of the New Society of Letters of Lund (Sweden) 1927; died, 1949. Publications: edited Horæ Latinæ, by the late Robert Ogilvie (1901); edited, with George Middleton, Livy Book xxviii (1902); De Codicibus Manuscriptis Augustini Quæstionum (1905); A Study of Ambrosiaster (1905); edited Pseudo-Augustini Quaestiones Veteris et Novi Testamenti cxxvii (1908); Novum Testamentum Graece (1910, second edition 1947); Text and Canon of the New Testament (1913); A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament (1916); Tertullian's Apology, Notes of the late Professor John E B Mayor (1917); Tertullian's Treatises translated (3 volumes, 1919, 1920, 1922); Pelagius's Expositions of Thirteen Epistles of St Paul, i: Introduction (1922), ii: Text (1926), iii: Appendix (1931); part author of Novum Testamentum S Irenaei by Sanday, Turner, etc (1923); editor of Tertulliani Apologeticus (1926); The Earliest Latin Commentaries on the Epistles of St Paul (1927); edited C H Turner's The Oldest Manuscript of the Vulgate Gospels (1931); Glossary of the later Latin (1948); papers in various classical and theological journals.

Pyne , [Mary] , fl 1880 , nurse

Mary Pyne appears to have trained at the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, and worked at Westminster Hospital, London.

Julia Ashbourne Herbert was born at Brighton on 26 Mar 1881, the daughter of F A Herbert. She trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital, and in 1912, joined the Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS). At the outbreak of World War One, Herbert was employed at the Royal Free Hospital, Gray's Inn Rd, London. In August 1914, she joined her TFNS unit - the 4th Northern General Hospital, Lincoln, where she worked until Mar 1917.
In 1917 Herbert volunteered for service in the field and was posted to the No.35 General Hospital at Calais, France, from Mar 1917-Aug 1918, then to the No1 Casualty Clearing Station near Arras and Mons, until demobilised, Mar 1919.
Herbert was mentioned in despatches, 7 Nov 1917, and awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous devotion to duty after being wounded in the head by an aerial bomb. She received three blue service chevrons, and the British War Medal, 1914-1919; and The Victory Medal with oak leaf emblem.
Herbert later joined the Society of St Margaret, East Grinstead, a Church of England religious community, where she was known as Sister Julian.

Joan Hobbs trained initially as a kindergarten teacher, and taught for a number of years, before training as a midwife and general nurse at King's College Hospital between 1934 and 1937, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1937. She later trained as a Nurse Tutor, and was involved in establishment of King's College Hospital unit at Horton during World War Two.
Hobbs held the post of Matron at Warwick Hospital before retiring to Worthing. She died on 21 Jul 2003, aged 95.

Mary Jones was born in Tamworth, Staffordshire, 1813, the daughter of Robert Jones, cabinet maker. In 1853, she was elected as Superintendent of St John's House, London. Here she undertook to train and dispatch parties of Sisters and nurses to serve under Florence Nightingale in the Crimea. St John's flourished under her management, and in 1856, took over nursing at King's College Hospital, Sister Mary becoming the Sister-in-Charge. In 1866, St John's accepted a nursing contract with Charing Cross Hospital, London, and Sister Mary was also Sister-in-Charge there. In 1868, she resigned from St John's. With a number of other sisters, she founded a new Community known as the Sisterhood of St Mary and St John, located initially at 5 Mecklenberg St, moving to Percy House, Percy Circus, near King's Cross in 1868. In 1872/3, the sisterhood, with Mary as Mother Superior, moved to 30 Kensington Square, and founded the St Joseph's Hospital for Incurables. She contracted typhoid fever and died on 3 Jun 1887.

Brown was born on 17 Feb 1924. She was educated at private schools, 1929-1937, and Wimbledon High School, 1937-1941. She trained as a Registered Sick Children's Nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, London, 1942-1945; undertook general nurse training at King's College Hospital (KCH), London, 1947-1949; and was registered as a Nurse Tutor by the Royal College of Nursing, 1957.
Brown worked at Great Ormond Street Hospital as a staff nurse; in private wards, 1945-1947; as Ward Sister, 1950-1955; and Nurse Tutor, 1957-1961. During 1961-1962, she was employed as an Officer in the Hospitals Department of the Royal College of Nursing, London, and from 1962-1969 was Secretary of this department. Appointed Sister Matron (later Chief Nursing Officer) of KCH in 1970, retiring in 1982. Died 1990.