Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Tom Lewis was born in Hampstead, London, 27 May 1918. He spent his early childhood with his grandfather, A J S Lewis, a civil servant and later mayor of Cape Town, South Africa, where Tom attended the Diocesan College, Rondebosch. In 1933 he moved to London to live with his father, the artist Neville Lewis, and was educated at St Paul's School. He studied medicine at Jesus College, Cambridge and at Guy's Hospital, London, qualifying in 1942. He obtained the Gold Medal in Obstetrics.

In 1943 Lewis returned to Cape Town and enlisted in the South African Air Force, but was seconded to the Royal Army Medical Corps. He served in Egypt, Italy and Greece. After the Second World War, Lewis returned to Guy's Hospital, gaining the FRCS in 1946 and the MRCOG in 1948. He was appointed consultant at Guy's in 1948 and at Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital for Women in 1950. He also developed a thriving private practice.

Lewis was a keen supporter of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. He served three times on the College Council, was Honorary Secretary, 1961-1968, and Senior Vice-President, 1975-1978. He was also active in the obstetric section of the Royal Society of Medicine and a member of the Gynaecological Club. He was awarded the CBE in 1979. Lewis died aged 85, 9 April 2004.

Publications: Progress in Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology (London: Churchill, 1956).

Born, 1848; educated at Winchester College,1860-1866, and at Brasenose College, Oxford, 1866-1870, medical student at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 1870-1875; MD, 1888; Radcliffe travelling fellowship of Oxford University; member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1876, and fellow, 1882; member of the board for the examination of midwives of the Obstetrical Society of London (OSL), 1882; assistant obstetric physician to St George's Hospital and Obstetric Physician to the General Lying-in Hospital, York Road, 1880; Obstetric Physician to St George's, 1885; Physician Accoucheur to St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1891-1913; Chairman of the OSL, 1891-1895; President of the OSL, 1895; Chairman of the Central Midwives' Board, 1902-1930; retired 1913; died, 1930.

Born, 1875; educated, Bristol Grammar School; medical education, University College Bristol, Bristol Royal Infirmary and King's College, London; graduated bachelor of medicine with honours in obstetrics, 1900; ship's surgeon; house surgeon, Leicester Royal Infirmary; Bachelor of Surgery, London, 1903; postgraduate attachment at the London Hospital; Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1903; resident house surgeon, Jessop Hospital for Women (JHW), Sheffield, 1904, honorary medical staff, JHW, 1906; president of the North of England Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society, 1918-1920; senior surgeon, JHW, 1921-1935; part time Chair of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Sheffield, 1921-1935; member of the departmental committee on maternal mortality and morbidity, 1928; president of the obstetrics and gynaecology section of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1937; retired early to rural Carmarthenshire and studied the history of obstetrics, he was also instrumental in restoring the library of William Smellie; died, 1965.

Publications: Historical Review of British Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1800-1950, with J M Munro Kerr and R W Johnstone (Livingstone, 1954)

Unknown

Colin Mackenzie was born, 1697 or 1698; attended, as Calenus Makenje, Scotus, the medical courses of Herman Boerhaave at the University of Leiden, 1722; studied under Alexander Monro primus in Edinburgh, 1740 and 1742; pupil of William Smellie; taught courses in obstetrics, 1754-1775; maintained a private lying-in establishment in Crucifix Lane, Southwark; degree of MD by the University of St Andrews, 1759; died, 1775.

Unknown

Robert Milne Murray was born, 1855; read arts in St Andrew's University; moved to Edinburgh to study medicine; staff of the Royal Infirmary and Royal Maternity Hospital; designed a modification of the forceps previously invented by Tarnier; died, 1904.

Unknown

Alexander Hamilton was baptised in 1739; assistant to John Straiton, surgeon, of Edinburgh, 1758; member of the Edinburgh College of Surgeons, 1762; licentiate, and subsequently a fellow, of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh; physician to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, 1772; joint professor of midwifery in the University of Edinburgh with Dr Thomas Young, 1780 and sole professor, 1783-1800; was instrumental in establishing the Lying-in Hospital, 1791; died, 1802.

John Haighton was born, Lancashire, about 1755; pupil of Else at St Thomas's Hospital; Surgeon to the guards; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, resigned, 1789; Lecturer in Physiology, [1788], and Midwifery with Dr Lowder, St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals; conducted numerous physiological experiments; M D; Fellow, Royal Society; presided at meetings of the Physical Society at Guy's Hospital; joint editor of Medical Records and Researches, 1798; assisted Dr William Saunders in his Treatise on the Liver, 1793; silver medal of the Medical Society of London, 1790; his nephew, Dr James Blundell began to assist him in his lectures, 1814, and took the entire course from 1818; died, 1823.

Publications include: 'An Attempt to Ascertain the Powers concerned in the Act of Vomiting,' in Memoirs of the Medical Society of London (ii. 250) (1789); A syllabus of the Lectures on Midwifery delivered at Guy's Hospital and at Dr Lowder's and Dr Haighton's Theatre in ... Southwark (London, re-printed 1799); A case of Tic Douloureux ... successfully treated by a division of the affected nerve. An inquiry concerning the true and spurious Cæsarian Operation, etc (1813).

Unknown

In 1745 Bartholomew Mosse, surgeon and man-midwife, founded the original Dublin Lying-In Hospital as a maternity training hospital, the first of its kind. In 1757 the institution moved to a different location where it became 'The New Lying-In Hospital'. This is the hospital complex that is referred to today as simply 'The Rotunda'.

The Committee of Inquiry was established in March 1993 "to conduct a wide-ranging investigation into the policies and practices of the Council of Legal Education (CLE) and the Inns of Court School of Law (ICSL). The creation of the Committee was partly in response to a large disparity in pass rates between black and ethnic minority students and white students on the Bar Vocational Course (BVC), uncovered by ethnic monitoring of the 1991/1992 intake, and partly in response to the large body of complaints about the course which had been lodged with the General Council of the Bar, and the CLE itself." (Final Report, Apr 1994, Introduction 3.1 p.8). The Inquiry was chaired by Dame Jocelyn Barrow (Deputy Chairman, Broadcasting Standards Council), from whom the short title "Barrow Inquiry" derives. Its members were Ruth Deech (Principal, St Anne's College Oxford), Jo Larbie (Director of Legal Education and Training of the Legal Resources Group), Rajeev Loomba (course leader for the Legal Practice Course, University of Northumbria) and David J Smith (Senior Fellow, Policy Studies Institute). The Inquiry's terms of reference were to identify the reasons for disparities in the level of performance of ethnic minorities on the BVC from 1991/92, to investigate allegations of racial discrimination and to investigate and make recommendations on teaching, assessment and pastoral care of students and for the further development of an equal opportunities policy by the CLE. The Inquiry employed a number of research methods as follows: 1. Statistical analysis, using as a starting point Dr Christopher Dewberry's 1991/1992 analysis of disparities between white and ethnic minority student pass rates; the Inquiry conducted further similar surveys and analyses; 2. Qualitative research, including oral hearings of evidence such as interviews with students, staff, assessors, CLE and General Council of the Bar members, written submissions from interested parties, and comments from students, followed by an analysis by Dr Robin Oakley; 3. Direct observation of teaching and assessment; 4. Collection and analysis of teaching materials relating to the BVC; 5. Following the Interim Report of September 1993, provision of a formal submission from the ICSL/CLE on teaching, assessment and pastoral care; 6. Consideration of the complaints of 29 individual students; 7. Comparison of the BVC with other jurisdictions, in the UK and abroad.

Publications: Equal Opportunities at the Inns of Court School of Law: the Final Report of the Committee of Inquiry into Equal Opportunities on the Bar Vocational Course (April 1994).

The Committee of Heads of University Law Schools (CHULS) sees its role as representing law schools and their management to the funding councils and other established committees in the legal sector, promoting mutual respect and active co-operation between law schools regionally, nationally and internationally, considering and advising relevant bodies on the structure, development and resourcing of legal education, disseminating information and good practice concerning legal education, assisting in the promotion of good management practice in law schools and liaising with the Association of Law Teachers (ALT), Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) and other bodies on matters of mutual interest. CHULS began its active life as an SPTL committee concerned with specific issues relating to law schools and law teaching in universities. Its first meeting was held under SPTL auspices at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS) on 27th September 1974, when the President of SPTL, Professor C F Parker, was appointed to the Chairmanship of CHULS. At its fourth meeting on 28th November 1975, it was agreed that CHULS should cease to be a committee of SPTL but should be constituted instead as an autonomous body, though close links with SPTL were still to be maintained. CHULS developed initially as a committee whose members represented all law schools in universities financed by the University Grants Committee which taught a law degree. Representatives of polytechnics, the Inns of Court School of Law and the College of Law were thus excluded. In September 1984 the Committee agreed on the desirability of holding joint meetings with the Heads of Polytechnic Law Schools, who had formed their own Committee to represent institutions offering Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) degrees carrying exemption from the academic stage of professional education. On February 11 1992 a meeting was held to discuss a merger of the two Committees. The merger finally took place on 30 November 1992, with the creation of a newly constituted CHULS consisting of an Executive Committee with powers to appoint sub-committees as required. Membership was open to all institutions currently in membership of the two earlier committees, and other institutions of higher education which were in receipt of funding from a higher education funding council and which offered their own law degrees recognised by the professional bodies as giving exemption from the academic stage of legal education were made eligible to apply. Officers of the reconstituted Committee consisted of a Chairman, Vice-chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. In 1996 the two latter offices were amalgamated. CHULS' activities have included gathering information on staff recruitment and student admission procedures, monitoring the impact of Law Society and Council of Legal Education (CLE) regulations and of new teaching courses, reporting on funding for legal research and law libraries, examination of copyright on legal materials and provision of advice to bodies such as the Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committees on Legal Education. Some of its findings have been published.

The files listed below comprise primarily the files of J A Boxhall, Secretary from 1971-1986, when he retired due to ill-health. He was replaced temporarily by H F Patterson. In 1987 a new Administrative Secretary, D E Phillips, was appointed.

James Read graduated in Law from the University of London in 1953 and qualified as a barrister in 1954. He has been Assistant Lecturer in law at University College London (1956-1958), Lecturer in African Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) (1958-1965), Senior Lecturer in Law, the University College, Dar-es-Salaam (1963-1966), Reader in African Law, SOAS (1964-1975) and Professor of Comparative Public Law with special reference to Africa at SOAS from 1974. Professor Read was Joint Honorary Secretary of the United Kingdom National Committee of Comparative Law (1969-1973), Honorary Secretary of the Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) (1972-1975) and Chairman of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (1977-1983). He was also a member of the Advisory Committee on Legal Education from its inception in 1971 until 1975, representing the SPTL.

Records of Legal Education Project

The Records of Legal Education Project (RLEP), funded by the Leverhulme Trust, ran from October 1994 to May 1998. It was based at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS), and its brief was to: investigate records of legal education housed in selected institutions, primarily in the Greater London area, and report on their availability, accessibility and significance; create a Guide to Records of Legal Education and Law Schools to enable researchers to trace the location of documents of relevance; publish and disseminate its findings to assist researchers in law, the humanities and the social sciences; exceptionally, collect, maintain and make available for research records of legal education where the creating/controlling agency was unable to make any alternative archival provision. This material was placed in a Records of Legal Education Archives located in the IALS Library. Research was concentrated on institutions and records in the Greater London area, since this is a) where the highest proportion of legal education material was to be found; b) where the project was physically located. The project's resources were too limited to go further afield. The project was co-ordinated by Clare Cowling, an Archivist employed on a part-time basis, under the direction of an Advisory Committee comprising Jules Winterton, the IALS Librarian, Avrom Sherr, Woolf Professor of Legal Education at IALS, David Sugarman, Professor of Law at the University of Lancaster and William Twining, Quain Professor of Jurisprudence at University College London until 1998. The Project was based in the IALS Library and was granted use of its facilities.

Socio-Legal Studies Association

According to a statement of ethical practice in the Socio-Legal Studies Association's 1995 Directory of Members, socio-legal studies may be defined as embracing "disciplines and subjects concerned with the social effects of the law, legal processes, institutions and services". SLSA was established to promote and support the work of socio-legal scholars, to facilitate the regular exchange of ideas and information and to represent the socio-legal research interest in discussions with other bodies. SLSA grew out of an informal group of academics that met at annual conferences to discuss matters of interest. In 1988 it was decided that the group needed a higher profile, and a conference was arranged in Oxford which was attended by over 100 people. The success of the conference permitted another to be held in Edinburgh in 1989, at which the proposal was made to create a formal Association. A Steering Committee was set up to formally establish the SLSA at the 1990 conference in Bristol, using some funds from various law faculties and from the Nuffield Foundation. A newsletter was first published in March 1989; in 1990 an editor was appointed to produce a regular newsletter. Chairs of SLSA are as follows: 1990-1993 Professor Hazel Genn; 1993-1996 Professor Martin Partington; 1996-date Professor Sally Wheeler.

Society of Public Teachers of Law

The Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) was founded in 1908 by Dr Edward Jenks, the then Principal and Director of Studies of the Law Society. Rule 2 of the Society states that "The objects of the society shall be the furtherance of the cause of legal education in England and Wales, and of the work and interests of public teachers of law therein by holding discussions and enquiries, by publishing documents, and by taking other steps as may from time to time be deemed desirable" (see A.SPTL 6: List of Members and Rules 1910 p.9). The Society was to consist of a) ordinary members (any public teacher of law in England and Wales) and b) honorary members (any past teacher of law, overseas teacher of law or person who has "conferred important benefits on the Society or on legal education") (Ibid. Rule 6, p.11). The Society's affairs were to be managed by a General Committee, whose officers were to consist of a President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Honorary Secretary. Other Committee members were to comprise one member for each university conferring degrees in law, and one member for each body conferring professional qualifications in law. Thus all branches of legal education would be represented. Since its inception, the SPTL has acted to improve the quality of legal education and research through publishing reports, setting up working parties, putting forward submissions, holding conferences and producing journals and newsletters on matters relevant to legal education. Its representation on the different law teaching bodies in England and Wales has meant that it has operated with great effectiveness as a pressure group for change.

In 2002 the Society of Public Teachers of Law was renamed as the Society of Legal Scholars. Further information about the Society can be found in Fiona Cownie and Raymond Cocks. "A Great and Noble Occupation!": The History of the Society of Legal Scholars. Hart Publishing, 2009 (available in the IALS Library and as SPTL 25/10)

William Lawrence Twining (b 1934) has had a long and distinguished career in law teaching and has been involved in many projects relating to legal education. He was educated at Charterhouse School, Brasenose College, Oxford, and the University of Chicago. He has been Lecturer in Private Law at the University of Khartoum (1958-1961), Senior Lecturer in Law at University College, Dar-es-Salaam (1961-1965), Professor of Jurisprudence at the Queen's University, Belfast (1965-1972) and Professor of Law at the University of Warwick (1972-1982). From 1983-1996 he was the Quain Professor of Jurisprudence at University College London. Other activities have included membership of the Committee on Legal Education in Northern Ireland (1972-1974), presidency of the Society of Public Teachers of Law (1978-1979) and of the UK Society for Legal and Social Philosophy (1980-1983), chairmanship of the Bentham Committee (1982-) and of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (1983-1993).

Publications: How to do things with rules with David Miers (1976); editor of Law publishing and legal information: small jurisdictions of the British Isles with Jennifer Uglow (1981); Theories of evidence: Bentham and Wigmore (c1985); editor of Legal theory and common law (1986); editor of Essays on Kelsen with Richard Tur (1986); editor of Learning lawyers' skills with Neil Gold and Karl Mackie (1989); editor of Access to legal education and the legal profession with Rajeev Dhavan and Neil Kibble (1989); Rethinking evidence: exploratory essays (1990); editor of Issues of self-determination (1991); Analysis of evidence: how to do things with facts with Terence Anderson (1991); editor of Evidence and proof with Alex Stein (1992); joint editor of Legal Records in the Commonwealth with Emma Varnden Quick (Aldershot, Dartmouth, 1994); Blackstone's tower: the English law school (1994); Law in context: enlarging a discipline (1997); edited the Law in Context series and the Jurists' series.

Atkins , Richard , b 1913 , engineer

Born in Kingston-upon-Thames, 1913; moved to Brentford, c1919; enrolled as a full-time student at the Engineering School, Regent Street Polytechnic, 1927; participated in sporting activities there; gained a Ordinary National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, 1930; employed in engineering; continued part-time education at Acton Technical College; Higher National Diploma, 1934; married Mary Eileen Senton, 1937; graduate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, 1939; associate member, 1940; served with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, later Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, during World War Two; in India, 1942-1945; emigrated to Australia, 1951; retired, 1974; moved to New Zealand, 1982.

The Polytechnic Cycling Club was founded as the Ian Bicycling Club in 1878 in the Salisbury Street, Strand, branch of the Youths' Christian Institute, and named for the infant son of the Institute's founder, Quintin Hogg. It initially comprised mainly clerks. Hogg bought some machines for the members and their activities at that period apparently consisted of recreational rides. The club was succeeded by the Hanover Bicycle Club (named from the Institute premises in Hanover Street) in 1881-1882. It organised runs and tours, and annual races were held in August each year from 1882. Following the removal of the Institute to premises in Regent Street, formerly occupied by the Royal Polytechnic Institution, in 1882, the name was changed to the Polytechnic Cycling Club in 1885.

The Polytechnic Cycling Club Gazette was started in 1891. The Club grew rapidly. Members made regular excursions on Saturday afternoons with longer trips at holiday times, and during the winter months there was a social programme in conjunction with other Polytechnic clubs. From 1893 it had a club room in no 309 Regent Street. The Club began to organise its own competitions for track and road, and a number of races and time trials were established. Members competed, individually and in teams, at home and abroad, and became successful at the highest level: Alec Watson was the first national champion in 1893, Albert Edward 'Jenny' Walters won the Bol d'Or 24-hour race in Paris in a world record time in 1899, W J ('Bill') Bayley was world champion at 1,000 metres in 1909-1913, and David Edward Ricketts (b 1920) was bronze medallist in the 4,000 metres pursuit at the Olympic Games in London in 1948. By the time the Club celebrated its 60th anniversary in 1938, members had won five world, two Olympic and 62 national and Empire championships. Several successful members went on to become professional cyclists. The Club's first president was J E K Studd, succeeded in 1944 by Lord Hailsham (grandson of the Polytechnic's founder, Lord Chancellor, and well know for cycling around London).

When Regent Street Polytechnic became the Polytechnic of Central London (PCL) in 1970, relations with the sports and social clubs - which had been an integral part of Quintin Hogg's vision for the Polytechnic - were redefined as part of the new constitutional arrangements. They became legally separate, though some links remained. Further changes were made following the Education Reform Act of 1988. The Cycling Club lost its club room in Regent Street in 1989, but continued to use the Quintin Hogg Memorial Ground at Chiswick. In the same year the Institute of Polytechnic Sports and Social Clubs was formed to support the needs of club members and to provide a link with PCL and later with the University of Westminster.

Paddington Technical College

Paddington Technical College (which originated in 1903) took over the Chelsea School of Chiropody in 1957 and in 1967 moved into new blocks on the north side of Paddington Green. The Biological Science Department of Paddington Technical College joined the Polytechnic of Central London as the School of Biological and Health Sciences in 1990, following the abolition of the Inner London Education Authority. The School moved from the Paddington campus in 1993.

Sir Alfred Sherman was born on 10 November 1919 in Hackney, London. At seventeen he fought in the International Brigade on the republican side of the Spanish civil war. During the Second World War he worked in field security in the Middle East and after as an administrator in the enemy occupied territories. He studied at the London School of Economics after leaving the army and was a member of the student branch of the Communist Party whilst there.

He graduated in 1950 and briefly became a teacher before going on to become a journalist, working for the Jewish Chronicle. In 1965 he was recruited to the Daily Telegraph where he voiced his opinions on local government. He served as a Conservative councillor in Kensington and Chelsea between 1971 and 1978.

In April 1974 Alfred Sherman co-founded (along with Sir Keith Joseph and Margaret Thatcher) the Centre for Policy Studies and became its first Director. The Centre was set up to promote free market ideas and influence Conservative thinking. Sherman researched and wrote speeches for both Joseph and Thatcher, becoming her aide and speech writer until 1983. His speeches and journalism included many ideas which are thought of as key to Thatcherism, including curbing trade union powers, cutting taxes and public spending, control of the money supply and reform of the welfare system to reduce dependence on it. Sherman was most influential during the Conservative Party's period of opposition between 1974 and 1979 but he was sacked as the Centre's research director in 1984 after disagreements over the role of the Centre. Sherman believed it shouldn't be too close to the Conservative Party to give it freer range to criticise ministers. Sherman was knighted in 1983 but no longer had access to Thatcher after he left the Centre.

He later became a public adviser to the National Bus Corporation and the Bosnia Serb leader Radovan Karadzic. He died from pneumonia on 26 August 2006 at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.

Information taken from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography online.

Roy William Waters (1928-2010), M.A. Cambridge, spent the majority of professional life in education, working as an English teacher and then a school inspector. He began his career at Wandsworth School, south-west London (1954-63), before working as deputy head of Spencer Park School (1963-66). His final teaching post was as head of William Penn School in Dulwich (1966-68); feeling he lacked the necessary skills to excel as a head teacher Waters moved on to work for the Inner London Education Authority schools inspectorate, a post that he held for twenty years until his retirement in 1988.

During his career Roy Waters also undertook the arrangement of school plays and personally took on a number of performance and broadcast responsibilities, from planning a Son et Lumiere production at Spencer Park School to broadcasting both "Did You Write Poetry at School" in 1963 and a series of 60 broadcasts in Schools series "Over to You" for less able Secondary school pupils on the British Broadcasting Corporation's Home Service (Schools) from 1963 to 1966.

These achievements reflect the pastimes which occupied his personal life; Roy had an avid interest in theatre and the performing arts. He spent the last 40 years of his life building an extensive and diverse collection of ephemera, artefacts and printed books relating to his theatrical interests. The emphasis was initially on theatrical ephemera concerned with actors; however, it was when Roy developed an interest in material relating to Oscar Wilde that the scope of the collection expanded to include dramatists. The collection was acquired on various rationales from the narrow and specific, e.g. London theatre programmes, to the general, with material of various kinds linked by their relationship to a particular event or individual, either directly or by association.

The collection was acquired from the variety of avenues available to the private collector of theatrical material, namely ephemera fairs such as those hosted by the National Theatre, print and rare book sellers, auctions and websites such as EBay and AbeBooks.

Parish of Barking

Barking Abbey was founded in the later part of the seventh century by St. Ethelburga. The earliest charter of the Abbey, relates to a gift of land being made by Hodilred, King of Essex. Although all the places mentioned in this charter cannot be identified with certainty, it is fairly certain that it is referring to all the land between the River Roading and Dagenham Beam River. Barking is not appears to be identified as Beddanhaam or Budinhaam, while Dagenham is called Deccanhamm. It is not known when Dagenham became a separate parish. Although it is likely to be fairly early due to the date of the dedication of the Parish Church St. Peter and St. Paul's.

For secular purpose the land granted by the charter remained in the hands of successive abbesses of Barking, and formed part of the large Manor of Barking until the Dissolution. It remained a royal manor until 1628, when it was mortgaged to Sir Thomas Fanshawe. On his death it was passed to his daughter who sold it to Sir Orlando Humphreys in 1717. In turn it was brought by Smart Lethuillier and then inherited by the daughter of his brother Charles, who was also the wife of Sir Edward Hulse.

The parish of Barking, included parts of Ilford, as well as Barking. These two areas were separated for ecclesiastical purposes in 1830, but remained one civil parish until 1888. Before this division, the parish was about thirty miles in diameter. It is probable that the early inhabitants would have worshipped at Barking Abbey and then St. Margaret's Church, which was located on the southern edge of Barking Parish. Those that lived north of this towards Ilford, would have attended the Chapel of the Leper Hospital, and later the Chapel at Aldborough Hatch, built in 1653.

The rapid urbanisation during the beginning of the nineteenth century caused problems in the administration of public health and welfare, which the vestries of such districts were incompetent to deal with. The bad name of the town vestries, meant reformers ignored the spirit of local patriotism and the historic descent of local government. After the Poor Law of 1834, ad hoc bodies were continually being created to carry out different tasks that were previously undertaken by the local vestry. Barking, for example found itself within the Romford Poor Law Union. The maintenance of the highways was taken over by the 6th Highway District in 1867. In addition to this the provision of education was put into the hands of an elected School Board in 1889. Barking also had its own Board of Health from 1853 to 1855.

However unity was restored with the establishment of the Barking Urban District Council under the Local Government Act of 1894. The vestry of the parish of Barking, continued to meet despite its diminished power in order to discuss church and secular business, as well as to receive charity accounts after 1895. The overseer also remained in office until the introduction of the Rating and Valuation Act in 1925.

This administrative history was largely based on a book by J. E. Oxley, entitled Barking Vestry Minutes (1955).

Parish of Dagenham

Becontree Heath was the meeting place of the Becontree Hundred, which was a court that governed on local matters until 1465. The Lord of the Manor had some jurisdiction also and Manorial Courts for the Dagenham Manors were held regularly here or in the Leet House at Barking. The Poor Law Act of 1601 set up the 'Vestry', the first unit of Local Authority. The members of the Vestry, later known as the Parish Council, were responsible for a number of local affairs put principally the care of the poor.

Ecclesiastical and secular affairs came under the same body, and were carried on in this war for two hundred years. There were also other special bodies, such as Trustees of the Turnpike Roads and the Commissioners for the Levels. In 1836 the union of Parishes was enforced for the care of the poor and Dagenham elected members to the Romford Board of Guardians and ceased to keep a village workhouse. The poor rate was collected by the Vestry, and the earliest surviving rate book dates back to 1839.

In 1840, the parish became part of the Metropolitan Police Area. The Local Board of Health was established in 1851. This body was responsible for local sanitary matters. Dagenham School Board was founded and five schools erected under the new compulsory Education Act of 1872. In 1902 the School Board was abolished and the management of schools in Dagenham was taken over by Essex County Council. During the same year a drainage scheme was undertaken, and then enlarged in 1910.

The parish remained mainly rural until 1921, when the London County Council started to build the great Becontree Estate. Modern industries, notably the Ford Motor Works, soon followed the new population. Dagenham became an urban district in 1926 and a borough in 1938.

The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 was established in 1850 by Queen Victoria to mastermind the 'Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations'. The commissioners were appointed by Royal Charter to plan and promote the Great Exhibition, with Prince Albert as the President taking personal charge of the operation. The exhibition was held in London in 1851 in a building designed by Sir Joseph Paxton, known as the Crystal Palace. It was erected in Hyde Park, and after the exhibition closed was sold by the contractors to a syndicate for re-erection at Sydenham, where it remained until it was burnt down in 1936. The exhibition made a substantial profit of £186,000, and when its affairs were wound up the commissioners remained a permanent body under a supplemental charter to administer the surplus funds to 'increase the means of industrial education and extend the influence of science and art upon productive industry'. The profit was carefully managed, and capital assets are now of the order of £39 million with annual charitable disbursement of over £1 million. The commissioners proposed to provide a 'locality', and establish central institutions working in cooperation with regional interests to promote industrial education for the benefit of the whole country. Within two years the commissioners had bought an estate in South Kensington of eighty-seven acres. The commissioners were assisted by Parliament to complete the purchase of the estate, and elected Government representatives to the commission as ex-officio members to assist them in managing the estate. Government representatives continue to serve, although the partnership with the commission was dissolved in 1858.

The first step in the development of the system was taken by the Government in founding the Department of Science and Art in 1853. The Department was moved to land off Exhibition Road in Kensington in 1860, and other institutions were established in the same area including the School of Naval Architecture and Engineering (later moved to Greenwich), the Royal College of Science, the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Art. In 1858 the commissioners assigned to the Government the land east of Exhibition Road on which the South Kensington Museum (later the Victoria and Albert Museum) was built. The southern part of the main square of the estate was used for the International Exhibition of 1862, and in 1863 part of that site was sold to the Government for the Natural History Museum and other public institutions. From 1860 to 1889 the commissioners used the estate for temporary exhibitions and other activities designed to stimulate public interest in science and art. The commissioners still intended to establish permanent institutions according to their stated aims, and to this end a Museum of Art had been established and Museum of Science was being developed. The commissioners leased sites for and helped promote the foundation of the Royal Albert Hall, Royal College of Music, Royal College of Art, Royal College of Organists, Royal School of Needlework, National School of Cookery, School of Art Woodcarving and Queen Alexandra's House, a residential hostel for female students. The commissioners also enabled the Government to acquire land for developing the National Science Collections and Library and eventually to build the Science and Geological museums. Land was leased to the City and Guilds of London Institute for the building of their Central Institution (opened 1884), and for the building of the Imperial Institute (later Commonwealth Institute). The Royal Horticultural Society's gardens also occupied a large section of the estate until the 1870s. The remainder of the unoccupied estate was leased to the Imperial College of Science and Technology (now Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine) which in 1907 co-ordinated its constituent colleges already established on the estate, the Royal College of Science, Royal School of Mines and City and Guild's College.

As part of their aims of 'increasing the means of industrial education and extending the influence of science and art upon productive industry' the commissioners also established fellowships and scholarships for science and engineering graduates which continue today. A scheme of postgraduate awards was launched in 1891 'for assisting the promotion of scientific education by devoting a portion of their surplus income to the establishment of technical scholarships'. Seventeen to twenty scholarships were offered each year to students from universities in Britain, Ireland and throughout the empire. The scheme was reorganised in 1922, with two schemes operating. Senior Studentships (later called Research Fellowships) were available to all British university institutions and provided funds for two years of research for scientists or engineers. Overseas Scholarships, which ran until 1988, were awarded to universities of the Empire and later the Commonwealth. They allowed selected students to devote two or three years to full time research. The schemes provided research opportunities to many outstanding scientists and engineers, including eleven Nobel Laureates, four Presidents and 130 Fellows of the Royal Society. Former 1851 award holders include Lord Ernest Rutherford, Professor Charles Barkla, Professor Robert Robinson, Professor Walter Haworth, Sir John Cockcroft, E T S Walton, Paul Dirac, Sir James Chadwick, C P Snow, Lord Alexander Todd, Professor Sir John Cornforth and Sir Aaron Klug.

A scheme of industrial bursaries was established in 1911 to give graduates financial assistance before obtaining employment in industry, ending in 1939. Post graduate scholarships in naval architecture were also awarded by the commission, and travelling scholarships tenable at the British School at Rome for the study and practice of fine arts. Currently the Commission's educational awards comprise Research Fellowships in Science or Engineering awarded to scientists or engineers to continue research for two years, Industrial Fellowships, awarded to British nationals for work in British industry, Industrial Design Studentships and Research Fellowships for research within the Built Environment.

Chelsea College of Art & Design

The collection was established in 1985 by Liz Ward, Librarian at Chelsea College, the result of increasing demand by students for documentation recognising the contribution to British art by artists of African-Caribbean, Asian and African descent. It has grown naturally as a part of the library's collection.

Born in Nassau, Bahamas, 1925; returned to Scotland as a child; educated at boarding school; poverty in Glasgow; education ended at the age of thirteen with the outbreak of war and evacuation to the Orkneys; briefly attended Glasgow School of Art; army service, 1942-1945; sergeant in the RASC, saw service in Germany; became friendly with the artists Colquhoun, MacBryde, Hohn Minton; worked as a shepherd in the Orkneys, 1945; agricultural labourer; wrote short stories and plays, some broadcast by the BBC; moved to Edinburgh, 1950s; labourer in the Orkneys, working on rhyming poems; founded the Wild Hawthorn Press with Jessie McGuffie, 1961; produced the periodical Poor. Old. Tired. Horse., 1962-1968; produced the broadside Fishsheet for concrete poetry, 1963; publication of Rapel, collection of concrete poems, and of Standing Poem I, 1963; Canal Stripe Series 3, first published booklet-poem, 1964; settled at Stonypath, 1966, and began work on the 4 acre garden; Scottish representative on the Comité International of the concrete poetry movement, 1967; contributor to the International concrete poetry exhibition, 1967 Brighton Festival; first one-man exhibition at the Axiom Gallery, London, 1968; published the Weed Boat Masters Ticket booklet, first question booklet, 1971; retrospective exhibition, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, 1972; started a series of works for the Max Planck Institute Garden, Stuttgart, 1974; ceramic works in collaboration with David Ballantyne, 1975-1976; Collaborations exhibition, Kettle's Yard, Cambridge, 1977; exhibited at the Silver Jubilee Exhibition of Contemporary Sculpture, Battersea Park, London, 1977; exhibited at the Serpentine Gallery, London, 1977; cancelled exhibition in Edinburgh as a protest against actions of Scottish Arts Council officials, 1978; Stonypath renamed Little Sparta, 1978; corresponded with Albert Speer, 1978; beginning of the 'Free Arts' project, 1978; worked on Japanese Stacks with John R Thorpe, 1978-1979; Nature Over Again After Poussin travelling exhibition, 1980-1981; exhibited at the Sculpture Show, Hayward Gallery, London, 1983; collaboration with the architect Andrew Townsend, 1983-1984; garden and temple at Little Sparta reopened to visitors, 1984; exhibitions at Merian-Park, Basel, Graeme Murray Gallery, Edinburgh and British Council's British Show in Australia; touring exhibition organized by Southampton Art Gallery, 1984; exhibitions with Sarkis at the Espace Rameau-Chapelle Sainte-Marie, Never, France and at the Eric Fabre Gallery, Paris; outdoor sculpture exhibitions at Geneva, and Wageningen, Holland, 1985; shortlisted for the Turner Prize, 1985; exhibited Osso in Paris, 1987; honorary professorship, University of Dundee, 1999.

A K Totton was born in Surrey on 6 January 1892, and educated at Berkhamsted School. He studied at the Royal College of Science, London, attending lectures by Adam Sedgwick and E W MacBride, among others, and joined the staff of the British Museum (Natural History) in 1914. Totton served with distinction in the 1914-1918 war, being commissioned in 1915 and awarded the Military Cross the following year. He was severely wounded in 1916 and was invalided out of the army in 1918.

On his return to the Museum, Totton was given charge of the Coelenterate Section. Although he published on a number of coelenterate groups, it was the siphonophores which became his speciality. His first major work on the group was his Barrier Reef Expedition report (1932), to be followed by his Discovery Report on the siphonophores of the Indian Ocean (1954), and, the culmination of his work, the Synopsis of the Siphonophora (1965). Totton visited the West Indies on HMS Rodney in 1932, travelled to the Canary Islands with G O Mackie in 1955, and worked at the Villefranche Marine Station for a number of summers from 1949. Totton retired from the Museum in 1953, and was employed as an Associate until 1963. He continued his coelenterate researches until just before his death on 12 January 1973.

Godman Exploration Fund

The Godman Exploration Fund was set up in 1920 following the gift of £5000 by Dame Alice Godman, widow of Frederick Ducane Godman (1834-1919), the zoologist. In a letter dated 24 May 1919 she directed that the money should become the nucleus of a fund 'for the acquirement of specimens, chiefly by exploration', and that it should be vested in the hands of five trustees, one of whom should be the Director of the Natural History Museum and another the Speaker of the House of Commons. A deed to bring her wishes into effect was drawn up on 26 May 1920, and the first grant was made to F V Sherrin to support his zoological collecting in Queensland. From 1920 to 1932 all the grants went to zoological collecting, but from 1933 botanical, entomological and geological projects were also supported.

The Fund was augmented in 1929 when Michael Rogers Oldfield Thomas (1858-1929), the Curator of Mammals, died, leaving the residue of his estate to the Godman Trustees. This amounted in the end to just over £6000 together with the lease of a house in Carlyle Square, which was sold in 1959.

In the 1880s the Director's Office consisted of the Director himself, the Assistant Secretary, the Assistant in charge of the General Library, clerks and attendants. To this were added an attendant for the Index Museum (1885), a staff officer (1922), a photographer (1923), a guide lecturer (1927), an accountant (1931), superintendents and publications sales staff (1940), and an exhibitions officer (1946). In 1970 the Director's Office numbered 77, and was responsible for administration, finance, establishments and security, as well as the Exhibition, Education, Photographic and Publications sections and the General Library. A Department of Central Services was set up in 1971 under the Deputy Director, initially consisting of the biometrics, electronic data processing and electron microscopy units, but incorporating the General Library in 1973, the Photographic Section in 1974, and Publications in 1976. The Department of Public Service was set up in 1975, taking over the old Exhibition and Education sections, and finally, the Department of Administrative Services was set up under the Museum Secretary in 1976. This left a Directorate of only six members. The archives of the Director's Office are divided into four parts: The Director, Central Administration, the General Library, Exhibitions and Education sections, and Publications Section.

The position and duties of the Director of the Museum were laid down in the different editions of the Statutes and rules for the British Museum published by the Trustees over the years. From 1856 to 1883 the natural history departments were under the general control of a Superintendent, who was himself one of the subordinate officers who assisted the Principal Librarian. The 1886 edition of the Statutes, drawn up after the move to South Kensington, gave the 'Director of the Museum (Natural History)' equality with the Principal Librarian in most respects. The 1898 edition removed the power of summoning Trustees meetings from the Director of the Natural History Departments, but otherwise left matters unchanged. In 1908 however, following the stormy directorship of E Ray Lankester (1847-1929), the rules were revised to make the Director of the Natural History Departments subject to the general authority of the Principal Librarian. This clause was retained in the 1922 revision, and only disappeared in 1932 when the Director of The Natural History Museum was once again accorded equal status to the Principal Librarian.
Following the passing of the British Museum Act, 1963, the Director became responsible for the newly independent Natural History Museum to the new Board of Trustees. A Deputy Director post was created in 1971 to improve surveillance of the Museum's scientific work, and Ronald Henderson Hedley appointed.

The British Museum was founded in 1753 by Act of Parliament (26 George II c.22), and a Board of Trustees established. The Board consisted of Crown and Government nominees as well as elected members and representatives of the families of the founders and benefactors of the Museum. The Board met fortnightly at first, and then from 1761 four times a year at what were called 'General Meetings', which became purely formal. The Board delegated the day-to-day business of the Museum to a Standing Committee, which was established in 1755. Sub-Committees were set up by the Standing Committee from time to time as the need arose. The Chairman of the Board was always one of the three 'Principal Trustees': the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Lord Chancellor and the Speaker of the House of Commons.

From 1871 extracts from the Standing Committee minutes relating to the natural history departments were copied for the use of the departments (DF902), and from 1884, once the departments had moved, the Standing Committee met at South Kensington to transact business connected with the British Museum (Natural History) (DF900). General Meetings of the Board were likewise held at this Museum from time to time, and their minutes are held here, together with the minutes of the sub-committees concerned with natural history (DF901).
In 1963 the British Museum (Natural History) was separated from the British Museum by Act of Parliament, and a newly constituted Board of Trustees met for the first time on 11 October 1963.

Tring Museum

Tring Museum originated as the private museum of the wealthy aristocrat and banker, Lionel Walter Rothschild (1868-1937), 2nd Baron Rothschild of Tring, in Hertfordshire. Walter began collecting natural history specimens at the age of seven, and converted a garden shed into his first museum a few years later. He visited the natural history galleries at the British Museum as a boy, and started a thirty-year correspondence with Albert Gunther, the Keeper of Zoology. Rothschild studied at Bonn University and at Magdalene College, Cambridge, where he came under the influence of the Professor of Zoology, Alfred Newton.

As a 21st birthday present his father built him a splendid museum on the edge of Tring Park for Walter's ever-growing zoological collections and library. Alfred Minall acted as caretaker and taxidermist, and the museum was opened to the public for the first time in 1892.

Rothschild made use of a great number of professional collectors to build up his museum, including A F R Wollaston in North Africa, William Doherty in what is now Malaysia and Indonesia, and A S Meek in New Guinea. He also undertook one major expedition himself, spending nearly six months collecting in Algeria in 1908. He kept live animals in Tring Park, including emus, kangaroos, zebra and giant tortoises. Rothschild appointed two curators in 1892 and 1893: Ernst Hartert (1859-1933) as ornithologist and Karl Jordan (1861-1959) as entomologist. Hartert retired as Director of the Museum in 1930, and was succeeded by Jordan until his own retirement in 1938. By 1908, when Rothschild retired from banking, the museum had an establishment of eight, including Arthur Goodson who assisted Hartert, and Fred Young who had succeeded Minall as taxidermist. The museum also published its own journal, Novitates Zoologicae, which eventually ran to 42 quarto volumes rich in hand-coloured lithographs. Rothschild added two wings to the museum to house the collections of birds and insects in 1910 and 1912.

In spite of his family's great wealth, Rothschild was often short of money. He sold most of his beetles to raise funds for the Museum, and in 1931 a crisis forced him to sell his collection of birds to the American Museum of Natural History. The remainder of his museum remained intact until his death in 1937, when it was bequeathed in its entirety to the Trustees of the British Museum. This, the largest bequest ever received by The Natural History Museum, consisted of 3,000 mounted mammals, reptiles and amphibians, 2,000 mounted birds and about 4,000 skins, a vast collection of butterflies and other insects, a library of 30,000 volumes, the buildings and the land on which they stood. An Act of Parliament in 1938 allowed the Trustees to accept the bequest.
A succession of Natural History Museum staff acted as Officer-in-charge of Tring including T C S Morrison-Scott (1938-1939), J R Norman (1939-1944) and J E Dandy. Collections were evacuated to Tring from South Kensington during the war, but it wasn't until the end of the 1960s that major changes took place. The display galleries were modernised in 1969-1971, though they still retain a Victorian flavour, and the Bird Section moved into a new building on the site in 1971, providing space in South Kensington for Rothschild's insects to join the other entomological collections there. The Zoological Museum, Tring, now comprises a public display of stuffed animals with associated educational programmes, the Rothschild Library, and the staff and collections of the Bird Section.

East Coast Steamship Company (1875-1971)

The company was incorporated as a limited company on 22/12/1875. The company was formed to run the existing business of shipping frieght between Kings Lynn and Hull. This had previously been jointly operated by two separate organisations, one run by Captain Robert Wise of Kings Lynn and the other by Furley and Co of Hull who were leading waterway carriers. Furley and Cohad a controlling interest gaining their shares by by provision of the steam ship Sea Nymph of Gainsborough. Robert Wise supplied the other vessel the steam schooner Fanny of Kings Lynn also in return for shares.

Roger Charles Anderson (1883-1976), was a founder member of the Society for Nautical Research and, from its foundation until 1962, a Trustee of the Museum and Chairman of Trustees from 1959 to 1962. He was a frequent contributor to The Mariner's Mirror, of which he was editor for several periods and the author of numerous publications on maritime subjects.

Asiatic Steam Navigation Company Limited

The Company was formed in 1878, under the auspices of the Liverpool house of Turner and Co and their Calcutta associates, Turner Morrison and Company, to develop steam communication in the Bay of Bengal. It received the active support of Thomas Ismay and William Imrie of the White Star Line.

The ships were cross traders, not based in the UK, serving the coastal trade between Calcutta and Bombay: between Calcutta, Chittagong, Rangoon and Moulmein: and later between Calcutta and Java, via Malayan ports. Another departure was the acquisition and continuous operation of the Indian Government mail contract between Calcutta and the Andaman Islands, which included responsibility for the transport of convicts to port Blair.

Relations with British India, many of whose ships were employed on the same route, were competitive throughout, although dialogue over freight rate levels and sailings was generally maintained.

In 1931 the company was restructured in order to cope with the slump. In 1934, in recognition of the growth of nationalism in both Burma and India, locally based companies were set up in both of these countries. At this time negotiations with British India broke down and there was a rate war which was resolved after about six months by a tripartite agreement between Asiatic, B. I. and Scindia (the Indian national line).

British India achieved a 51% interest in Asiatic by the end of 1934, at which time Ismay's connection terminated.

The company was absorbed into the P and O group in 1971 and effectively ceased trading in 1977.

Barlow entered the Navy in 1862, serving first in the Scylla, China Station, 1863 to 1867, and then in the Pacific. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1872 and joined the Immortalite, Detached Squadron, 1874 to 1877, followed by service in the Flamingo in the East Indies, 1877 to 1880. Promoted to commander in 1884, he was appointed to the Bacchante, flagship of the East Indies Station, 1885 to 1888, and was involved in the Burma War, 1885 to 1886. After his promotion to captain in 1889, he commanded the Orlando on the Australian Station and then the Empress of India and the Jupiter, both in the Channel, until 1899. He became Admiral Superintendent of Pembroke Dockyard, 1899 to 1902, and of Devonport, 1906 to 1908.

Henry Bonham Bax was in the Navy from 1813 to 1817, after which he entered the service of the East India Company. In 1844 he became an Elder Brother of Trinity House. See Arthur Nesham Bax, A Bax family of east Kent (published privately, 1951).

Captain Bonham Ward Bax was the son of Henry Bonham Bax (q.v.). He entered the Navy in 1851 and specialized in surveying. From 1871 to 1875 Bax commanded the survey ship DWARF on the China Station and published an account of the voyage. From December 1876 until his death in July 1877, he commanded the SYLVIA, also on the China Station. He published The Eastern Seas (London, 1875).

Robert Nesham Bax was the son of Bonham Ward Bax (q.v.). He joined the Britannia in 1889, rose to captain in 1913 and saw active service in World War One. He was promoted to admiral on the retired list in 1932.

Bax was in the Navy from 1813 to 1817, after which he entered the service of the East India Company. In 1844 he became an Elder Brother of Trinity House. See Arthur Nesham Bax, A Bax family of east kent ( published privately, 1951).

Nias entered the Navy in 1807 and served during the remaining years of the Napoleonic wars. During the next few years he took part in three Arctic expeditions, being promoted to lieutenant in 1820. In 1826 he was appointed to the Asia, flagship of Sir Edward Codrington. Following the battle of Navarino in 1827 he was promoted to commander and appointed to the HMS ALACRITY, remaining in the Aegean until 1830. Nias was promoted to captain in 1835 and in 1840 commissioned the HMS HERALD for service in the East Indies. After a period in New Zealand, he took part in the First Chinese War 1839 to 1842, and was involved in operations leading to the capture of Canton. After his return home in 1843, he was on half-pay until 1850 when he was appointed to the HMS AGINCOURT and then to the HMS ST GEORGE, guardship of the reserve at Devonport. From 1854 to 1856 he was Superintendent of the Victualling Yard and Hospital at Plymouth. He saw no further service. He was promoted to rear-admiral in 1857, to vice-admiral in 1863 and admiral in 1867, being knighted in the same year. He was placed on the retired list in 1866.

Baynes entered the Navy in 1810, serving in the BLAKE under Sir Edward Codrington (q.v.) and in the TONNANT and TARTER in North America. He was commissioned as lieutenant in 1818, serving as First Lieutenant in the VIGO in South America until 1826 when he joined the ASIA, flagship of Admiral Sir Edward Codrington (q.v.). It was in the Asia that he was present at the Battle of Navarino. In 1828 he was promoted to captain. After ten years on half-pay he joined the ANDROMACHE in Nova Scotia during the rebellion in Canada, after which he commanded on the Cape Station, 1840 to 1841. In 1847 he was in the BELLEROPHON off the coast of Tuscany, when Leghorn was taken by the Austrians, and in 1855 was on Particular Service with the blockading fleet in the Baltic. He became Commander-in-Chief in the Pacific in 1857, remaining there until 1860 and was promoted to admiral in 1865.

Oliver entered the Navy in 1779. He served in the West Indies and was promoted to lieutenant in 1790, commander in 1794 and captain in 1796. After the battle of Trafalgar he was appointed to the MARS, whose captain, George Duff, had been killed. He continued to serve until 1814 and was promoted to rear-admiral in 1819, vice-admiral in 1830 and admiral in 1841.

Oliver-Bellasis entered the Navy in 1918. He became a lieutenant in 1920 and specialized in torpedoes. He was promoted to lieutenant-commander in 1928 and commander in 1933. From 1932 to 1934 he served in the RENOWN, Home Fleet, and, after a spell at the Admiralty, was in the EAGLE, China Station, 1937 to 1939. During the Second World War, Oliver-Bellasis held both posts ashore and at sea, being promoted to captain in 1941. He was Director of Underwater Weapons from 1947 to 1950 and retired in 1953.

Sir Gilbert Blane studied medicine in Edinburgh and, in 1779, sailed to the West Indies. It was during this and subsequent expeditions to the West Indies that he impressed upon the Admiralty the importance and the success of anti-scorbutic measures. He was appointed Physician Extraordinary to the Prince of Wales in 1785, the year in which he produced the first edition of his work on the diseases of seamen. From 1795 until 1803 he was one of the Commissioners for Sick and Wounded Seamen. See Christopher Lloyd ed., The Health of Seamen (Navy Records Society, 1965), pp. 132-211.

Arthur Rodney Blane, a grandson of Sir Gilbert Blane (q.v.), entered the Navy in 1848. In the Niger he served in the Second Chinese War, 1857 to 1859, and on receiving his commission as lieutenant in 1858, transferred to the Drake as her commander. He retired from active service in 1866 and was promoted to captain on the retired list in 1881.

Blane, a grandson of Sir Gilbert Blane (q.v.), entered the Navy in 1848. In the NIGER he served in the Second Chinese War, 1857 to 1859, and on receiving his commission as lieutenant in 1858, transferred to the DRAKE as her commander. He retired from active service in 1866 and was promoted to captain on the retired list in 1881.

Blane studied medicine in Edinburgh and, in 1779, sailed to the West Indies. It was during this and subsequent expeditions to the West Indies that he impressed upon the Admiralty the importance and the success of anti-scorbutic measures. He was appointed Physician Extraordinary to the Prince of Wales in 1785, the year in which he produced the first edition of his work on the diseases of seamen. From 1795 until 1803 he was one of the Commissioners for Sick and Wounded Seamen. See Christopher Lloyd ed., The Health of Seamen (Navy Records Society, 1965), pp. 132-211.

Bougainville served in the French army in Canada, where he was aide-de-camp to Montcalm (1712-1759). In 1763 he sailed on a private enterprise to colonise the Falkland Islands with French Canadian refugees but when France sold her interest in the islands to Spain in 1766, he sailed to the South Seas and in the next three years circumnavigated the world. He subsequently proposed undertaking a voyage towards the North Pole hut his scheme was dropped when the Duc de Choiseul (1719-1785) was dismissed in 1770. In 1775 Bougainville was granted naval rank and was second-in-command to de Grasse (1722-1788) in the West Indies during the American War of Independence. In 1791 he was offered the post of Ministre de la Marine but refused it. He narrowly escaped the guillotine and he later enjoyed the patronage of Napoleon. In 1796 he was elected to the Institut National. He was also a member of the Bureau des Longitudes and a Fellow of the Royal Society of London. See Jean Etienne Martin-Allanic, Bougainville, navigateur et les decouvertes de son temps (Paris, 1964).