Zone d'identification
Cote
Titre
Date(s)
- 1933-1971 (Création/Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
10 boxes, 1 loose volume
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
Notice biographique
Basic English was developed by Charles Kay Ogden (1889 - 1957) as an 'international language' and as a system for teaching English to speakers of other languages using a simplified vocabulary of 850 words.
In 1927 Ogden established the Orthological Institute followed by the publication, in quick succession, of 'Basic English' (1930), 'The Basic Vocabulary' (1930), 'Debabelization' (1931) and 'The Basic Words' (1932). A period of rapid expansion saw the establishment of 30 agencies connected with Basic English across the world and by 1939 there were around 200 printed works in, or about, Basic English.
In 1943 Winston Churchill established a cabinet committee looking at Basic English. Following the committee's report, Churchill made a statement to the House of Commons on 9 March 1944. The statement outlined a strategy to develop Basic English as an 'auxiliary international and administrative language'. The statement was later published as White Paper CMD. 6511 titled 'The Atlantic Charter, and the Prime Minister's Statement on Basic English of March 9, 1944; in their original form, and in Basic English, for purposes of Comparison' (DC/BEF/5/10).
Ogden assigned his copyright for Basic English works to the Crown in June 1946. In 1947, with a grant from the Ministry of Education, the Basic English Foundation was established. The Basic English Foundation was constituted as a charitable trust 'to develop the study and teaching of the system and to promote a knowledge of Basic English, and thereby of the English Language, throughout the world'. The Basic English Foundation would remain closely associated with the Orthological Institute through which a certain amount of teacher training in Basic English was conducted.
Following the Second World War those concerned with Basic English were not able to reassemble the international network of teaching agencies. However, the promotion of Basic English as a means of teaching English continued.
The Basic English Foundation's main activity was translating and publishing books in Basic English and, after a controversial history, it finally wound up its activities in the 1960s.
Histoire archivistique
GB 0366 BEF 1933-1971 Collection (fonds) 10 boxes, 1 loose volume Basic English Foundation
Basic English was developed by Charles Kay Ogden (1889 - 1957) as an 'international language' and as a system for teaching English to speakers of other languages using a simplified vocabulary of 850 words.
In 1927 Ogden established the Orthological Institute followed by the publication, in quick succession, of 'Basic English' (1930), 'The Basic Vocabulary' (1930), 'Debabelization' (1931) and 'The Basic Words' (1932). A period of rapid expansion saw the establishment of 30 agencies connected with Basic English across the world and by 1939 there were around 200 printed works in, or about, Basic English.
In 1943 Winston Churchill established a cabinet committee looking at Basic English. Following the committee's report, Churchill made a statement to the House of Commons on 9 March 1944. The statement outlined a strategy to develop Basic English as an 'auxiliary international and administrative language'. The statement was later published as White Paper CMD. 6511 titled 'The Atlantic Charter, and the Prime Minister's Statement on Basic English of March 9, 1944; in their original form, and in Basic English, for purposes of Comparison' (DC/BEF/5/10).
Ogden assigned his copyright for Basic English works to the Crown in June 1946. In 1947, with a grant from the Ministry of Education, the Basic English Foundation was established. The Basic English Foundation was constituted as a charitable trust 'to develop the study and teaching of the system and to promote a knowledge of Basic English, and thereby of the English Language, throughout the world'. The Basic English Foundation would remain closely associated with the Orthological Institute through which a certain amount of teacher training in Basic English was conducted.
Following the Second World War those concerned with Basic English were not able to reassemble the international network of teaching agencies. However, the promotion of Basic English as a means of teaching English continued.
The Basic English Foundation's main activity was translating and publishing books in Basic English and, after a controversial history, it finally wound up its activities in the 1960s.
Arrived in the Archives as part of the Lauwerys Collection (DC/JL) in 1987.
Records of the Basic English Foundation, including annual reports, minutes, policy, subject and correspondence files, 1948-1965; correspondence with Charles Kay Ogden and the Orthological Institute, 1947-1953; files of Joseph Lauwerys (1902-1981), who was a Trustee of the Foundation from 1951.
Open subject to signature of Reader Application Form.
A reader wishing to publish any quotation of information, including pictorial, derived from any archive material must apply in writing for prior permission from the Librarian or other appropriate person(s) as indicated by the Archivist. A limited number of photocopies may be supplied at the discretion of the Archivist.
English
On-line catalogue available.
The Institute also holds the personal papers of Joseph Lauwerys (1902-1981), who was a Trustee of the Foundation, from 1951 (DC/JL).
The Public Record Office holds minutes and papers of government committees relating to Basic English (ED 52); University College London has papers of Charles Kay Ogden relating to the Basic English Foundation, 1910-1987 (A 547).
Created 10/8/1999, modified 12/4/2000 Basic English Foundation International languages Language instruction Languages Lauwerys , Joseph Albert , 1902-1981 , educationist Ministry of Education Ogden , Charles Kay , 1889-1957 , linguistic psychologist Orthological Institute Second language instruction
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Arrived in the Archives as part of the Lauwerys Collection (DC/JL) in 1987.
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Records of the Basic English Foundation, including annual reports, minutes, policy, subject and correspondence files, 1948-1965; correspondence with Charles Kay Ogden and the Orthological Institute, 1947-1953; files of Joseph Lauwerys (1902-1981), who was a Trustee of the Foundation from 1951.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Accroissements
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions d'accès
Open subject to signature of Reader Application Form.
Conditions de reproduction
A reader wishing to publish any quotation of information, including pictorial, derived from any archive material must apply in writing for prior permission from the Librarian or other appropriate person(s) as indicated by the Archivist. A limited number of photocopies may be supplied at the discretion of the Archivist.
Langue des documents
- anglais
Écriture des documents
- latin
Notes de langue et graphie
English
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
The Institute also holds the personal papers of Joseph Lauwerys (1902-1981), who was a Trustee of the Foundation, from 1951 (DC/JL).
Instruments de recherche
On-line catalogue available.
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
The Public Record Office holds minutes and papers of government committees relating to Basic English (ED 52); University College London has papers of Charles Kay Ogden relating to the Basic English Foundation, 1910-1987 (A 547).
Note de publication
Zone des notes
Note
Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)
Mots-clés
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle de la description
Identifiant de la description
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles et/ou conventions utilisées
Statut
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision, de suppression
Langue(s)
- anglais