Identificatie
Soort entiteit
Geauthoriseerde naam
Parallelle vormen van de naam
Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.
Aandere naamsvormen
Identificatiecode voor organisaties
Beschrijving
Bestaansperiode
Geschiedenis
Robert Hollingworth Browne was an antiquarian researcher who made transcripts of many registers for parishes in London and Essex.
St John at Hackney: The earliest building on the site dated to around 1275. From the fourteenth century onwards the church was dedicated to Saint Augustine, but was changed to Saint John after 1660. The present benefice, created in 1971, is called Hackney, the church remaining dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. By the late 1770s it was clear that from the growing population of the area that a new and larger church was necessary. The new church was consecrated on 15th July 1797 with a wooden box-like structure. The old church was demolished except for the tower, which was left intact to hold the bells. The church was subsequenly rebuilt in Portland stone and a tower added in 1814. It suffered severe damage in the Second World War, but was repaired and re-consecrated in 1958. The old 16th century tower still stands to the south.