Identity area
Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Description area
Dates of existence
History
East Finchley Congregational Church originated with meetings of Independents in 1804. They built a chapel on the edge of Finchley Common, facing the Great North Road, in 1830 and enlarged it in 1846. The building, further enlarged in 1861 and 1874, was restored as a lecture hall and Sunday school after a fire in 1875. An imposing stone chapel, accommodating 600, was opened at the junction of High Road and East End Road in 1878. A new hall and Sunday school were built behind in 1895, whereupon the old chapel was sold. The chapel was extended in 1926 but demolished in 1965, when part of the site was sold. A smaller chapel and hall, each seating 150, were opened in 1970.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.