Davis and Soper Ltd , export merchants

Identity area

Authorized form of name

Davis and Soper Ltd , export merchants

Description area

History

George Davis established himself as a commission merchant in 1852 at 4 Railway Place, Fenchurch Street. The firm became African, Australian, middle and far eastern export merchants. In 1860 Davis went into partnership with William Garland Soper (1837-1908). From 1863-76 they traded from 14 Fenchurch Street, and from 1877-81 from 10 King's Arms Yard, before moving to 54 St Mary Axe in 1882. On William Garland Soper's death in 1908, the firm was taken over by his son, William Soper.

The firm became a limited company in 1915. It went into liquidation in 1960. It was a subsidiary of Camp Bird Limited.