Área de identidad
Código de referencia
Título
Fecha(s)
- 1950 (Creación)
Nivel de descripción
Volumen y soporte
0.01 linear metres
Área de contexto
Nombre del productor
Historia biográfica
Under the Education Act of 1876 Ealing Educational Association was formed instead of a school board to meet current deficits and pay for building extensions to existing local schools, which were mostly church schools. Apart from an unsuccessful voluntary rate in 1880, funds were raised by subscription until 1895. Rates levied for the Association by Ealing council from 1896 were criticized because the demands did not indicate that they were voluntary, and by 1901 only one-third was collected. Average attendance at local schools under the management of the Association rose from 754 in 1878 to 2,388 in 1902 at Ealing. By the late 1890s there may have been overcrowding but a request by the Board of Education for extra places in 1901 was ignored, as responsibility under the Education Act of 1902 was to pass to Ealing Metropolitan Borough (M.B.), which duly became an autonomous part III authority.
Ealing had too few places in 1903, when the population was growing rapidly. In addition to temporary schools, permanent ones were built by the borough engineer Charles Jones: Little Ealing, Northfields, Drayton Grove, Lammas, and North Ealing, the first four containing large boys', girls', and infants' schools on a single site. Few places were needed in North Ealing, where most children were educated privately, and elsewhere the council charged fees, which at Drayton Grove were higher than the Board of Education would permit. After the First World War only Grange school replaced the voluntary schools as they closed. From 1931 school building was concentrated in the expanding north and west parts of the borough; although Jones's buildings were seen as outmoded by 1938, it was only from 1952 that they were replaced.
The county council established secondary schools for boys in 1913 and girls in 1926 at Ealing, where a selective central school was opened in 1925. Following the Hadow report, four of Ealing's council schools acquired a single-sex senior department and after the Education Act of 1944 the former central school became a grammar school. Secondary classes elsewhere used converted premises and the only change before the introduction of the comprehensive system was the transfer of two of the smaller secondary schools to the new Ealing Mead school in 1962. At Brentford the boys' and girls' senior schools and Gunnersbury Roman Catholic grammar school were the only secondary schools. Under the Act of 1944 Ealing M.B. became an 'excepted district', responsible for primary and secondary education. From 1965 they lay within Ealing and Hounslow London Boroughs.
From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 162-170.
Institución archivística
Historia archivística
ACC/0491 1950 Collection 0.01 linear metres Ealing Metropolitan Borough Council x Ealing London Borough Council
Under the Education Act of 1876 Ealing Educational Association was formed instead of a school board to meet current deficits and pay for building extensions to existing local schools, which were mostly church schools. Apart from an unsuccessful voluntary rate in 1880, funds were raised by subscription until 1895. Rates levied for the Association by Ealing council from 1896 were criticized because the demands did not indicate that they were voluntary, and by 1901 only one-third was collected. Average attendance at local schools under the management of the Association rose from 754 in 1878 to 2,388 in 1902 at Ealing. By the late 1890s there may have been overcrowding but a request by the Board of Education for extra places in 1901 was ignored, as responsibility under the Education Act of 1902 was to pass to Ealing Metropolitan Borough (M.B.), which duly became an autonomous part III authority.
Ealing had too few places in 1903, when the population was growing rapidly. In addition to temporary schools, permanent ones were built by the borough engineer Charles Jones: Little Ealing, Northfields, Drayton Grove, Lammas, and North Ealing, the first four containing large boys', girls', and infants' schools on a single site. Few places were needed in North Ealing, where most children were educated privately, and elsewhere the council charged fees, which at Drayton Grove were higher than the Board of Education would permit. After the First World War only Grange school replaced the voluntary schools as they closed. From 1931 school building was concentrated in the expanding north and west parts of the borough; although Jones's buildings were seen as outmoded by 1938, it was only from 1952 that they were replaced.
The county council established secondary schools for boys in 1913 and girls in 1926 at Ealing, where a selective central school was opened in 1925. Following the Hadow report, four of Ealing's council schools acquired a single-sex senior department and after the Education Act of 1944 the former central school became a grammar school. Secondary classes elsewhere used converted premises and the only change before the introduction of the comprehensive system was the transfer of two of the smaller secondary schools to the new Ealing Mead school in 1962. At Brentford the boys' and girls' senior schools and Gunnersbury Roman Catholic grammar school were the only secondary schools. Under the Act of 1944 Ealing M.B. became an 'excepted district', responsible for primary and secondary education. From 1965 they lay within Ealing and Hounslow London Boroughs.
From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 162-170.
Acc/0491
Diagrammatic plan of Ealing, then part of the County of Middlesex, showing locations of existing and proposed schools, 1950.
One item.
Available for general access.
Copyright: City of London
English
Fit
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
For more records relating to education in Middlesex see references MCC/EO/PS and MCC/SB.
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997. April to June 2009 Ealing Metropolitan Borough Council x London Borough of Ealing Visual materials Maps Educational projects School mapping Educational buildings School buildings Educational institutions Schools London England UK Western Europe Ealing Middlesex Europe
Origen del ingreso o transferencia
Acc/0491
Área de contenido y estructura
Alcance y contenido
Diagrammatic plan of Ealing, then part of the County of Middlesex, showing locations of existing and proposed schools, 1950.
Valorización, destrucción y programación
Acumulaciones
Sistema de arreglo
One item.
Área de condiciones de acceso y uso
Condiciones de acceso
Available for general access.
Condiciones
Copyright: City of London
Idioma del material
- inglés
Escritura del material
- latín
Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras
English
Características físicas y requisitos técnicos
For more records relating to education in Middlesex see references MCC/EO/PS and MCC/SB.
Instrumentos de descripción
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Área de materiales relacionados
Existencia y localización de originales
Existencia y localización de copias
Unidades de descripción relacionadas
Nota de publicación
Área de notas
Notas
Identificador/es alternativo(os)
Puntos de acceso
Puntos de acceso por materia
- Material visual
- Proyecto de educación
- Proyecto de educación » Mapa escolar
- Edificio educativo
- Edificio educativo » Edificio escolar
- Instituciones de enseñanza
- Escuela
- Finanzas » Administración financiera
- Finanzas » Administración financiera » Contabilidad
- Bienestar social
- Finanzas
- Finanzas » Política fiscal
- Finanzas » Política fiscal » Tributación
- Proceso de comunicación
- Proceso de comunicación » Comunicación en grupo
- Gobierno
- Gobierno » Administración pública
- Gobierno » Administración pública » Administración local
- Proceso de comunicación » Comunicación en grupo » Conferencia
- Documento » Documento primario
- Ciclo de vida
- Ciclo de vida » Muerte
- Empresa
- Empresa » Empresa pública
- Empresa » Empresa pública » Servicio de utilidad pública
- Documento
- Fuente de información
Puntos de acceso por lugar
Puntos de acceso por autoridad
Tipo de puntos de acceso
Área de control de la descripción
Identificador de la descripción
Identificador de la institución
Reglas y/o convenciones usadas
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Estado de elaboración
Nivel de detalle
Fechas de creación revisión eliminación
Idioma(s)
- inglés