Identificatie
referentie code
Titel
Datum(s)
- 1885-1992 (Vervaardig)
Beschrijvingsniveau
Omvang en medium
0.2 linear metres
Context
Naam van de archiefvormer
Biografie
Oaklands Congregational Church was originally known as Oaklands United Congregational Church and was based at Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush. The church was initially a Union Church of Baptists and Congregationalists, including some from Becklow Road Mission. A meeting was held in July 1856 at Oaklands at which it was decided to erect a United Church. The church was formed on 1 January 1858. In 1868 the Baptist members left to establish a new church in Avenue Road. Ten years later in 1878 another group left the original church and began to hold services at Coningham Road School where they were known as Coningham Road Free Church. They opened an iron chapel in Askew Road in September 1885 and renamed themselves Starch Green Congregational Church.
Oaklands United Congregational Church closed and was sold on 30 April 1890 to Starch Green Congregational Church. The Starch Green congregation made alterations to the building and reopened it on 21 September 1890 as Oaklands Congregational Church. The iron chapel in Askew Road remained a mission hall.
The church was renovated during 1903 and again in 1920. The church closed in March 1972 and merged with Askew Road Methodist Church to form Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed). The Uxbridge Road building became derelict and was demolished in March and April 1980.
Askew Road Methodist Church Askew Road was formerly known as Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel then Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel Hammersmith. Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel was opened in September 1866. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1890 when it was named the Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel as a tribute to the one-time Lord Mayor of London Member of Parliament and Connexional Treasurer. However the chapel was still known locally as the Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel and in 1897 it was renamed the Askew Road Methodist Church. Most of the building was destroyed by bombs in October 1940. A new church hall designed by Sir Guy Dawber, Wilson and Fox was opened on 18 September 1954; the final stage of the building was opened in June 1968. The church became the Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed) in 1972 when it united with Oaklands Congregational Church.
archiefbewaarplaats
Geschiedenis van het archief
GB 0074 DD/0969 1885-1992 Collection 0.2 linear metres Askew Road Church (Methodist and United Reformed)
Oaklands Congregational Church xx Oaklands United Congregational Church
Askew Road Methodist Church xx Sir William MacArthur Memorial Chapel Hammersmith xx Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel
Oaklands Congregational Church was originally known as Oaklands United Congregational Church and was based at Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush. The church was initially a Union Church of Baptists and Congregationalists, including some from Becklow Road Mission. A meeting was held in July 1856 at Oaklands at which it was decided to erect a United Church. The church was formed on 1 January 1858. In 1868 the Baptist members left to establish a new church in Avenue Road. Ten years later in 1878 another group left the original church and began to hold services at Coningham Road School where they were known as Coningham Road Free Church. They opened an iron chapel in Askew Road in September 1885 and renamed themselves Starch Green Congregational Church.
Oaklands United Congregational Church closed and was sold on 30 April 1890 to Starch Green Congregational Church. The Starch Green congregation made alterations to the building and reopened it on 21 September 1890 as Oaklands Congregational Church. The iron chapel in Askew Road remained a mission hall.
The church was renovated during 1903 and again in 1920. The church closed in March 1972 and merged with Askew Road Methodist Church to form Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed). The Uxbridge Road building became derelict and was demolished in March and April 1980.
Askew Road Methodist Church Askew Road was formerly known as Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel then Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel Hammersmith. Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel was opened in September 1866. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1890 when it was named the Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel as a tribute to the one-time Lord Mayor of London Member of Parliament and Connexional Treasurer. However the chapel was still known locally as the Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel and in 1897 it was renamed the Askew Road Methodist Church. Most of the building was destroyed by bombs in October 1940. A new church hall designed by Sir Guy Dawber, Wilson and Fox was opened on 18 September 1954; the final stage of the building was opened in June 1968. The church became the Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed) in 1972 when it united with Oaklands Congregational Church.
Deposited at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies in 1987.
Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.
Records of Oaklands Congregational Church and Askew Road Methodist Church including minutes and administrative records and finance.
Arranged by church as follows:
DD/0969/01: Oaklands Congregational Church
DD/0969/02: Askew Road Methodist Church
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Copyright is held by the City of London.
English
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
See also:
Oaklands Congregational Church: DD/817, DD/713
Askew Road Methodist Church: DD/370/2/1, DD/713
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Added July 2015. Congregationalism Ancient religions Christianity Protestantism Nonconformity United Reformed Church Protestant nonconformity Methodism Religion Oaklands Congregational Church , Uxbridge Road, Shepherd's Bush Hammersmith and Fulham London England UK Fulham Religions Western Europe Europe
Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging
Deposited at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies in 1987.
Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.
Inhoud en structuur
Bereik en inhoud
Records of Oaklands Congregational Church and Askew Road Methodist Church including minutes and administrative records and finance.
Waardering, vernietiging en slectie
Aanvullingen
Ordeningstelsel
Arranged by church as follows:
DD/0969/01: Oaklands Congregational Church
DD/0969/02: Askew Road Methodist Church
Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Copyright is held by the City of London.
Taal van het materiaal
- Engels
Schrift van het materiaal
- Latijn
Taal en schrift aantekeningen
English
Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen
See also:
Oaklands Congregational Church: DD/817, DD/713
Askew Road Methodist Church: DD/370/2/1, DD/713
Toegangen
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Verwante materialen
Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen
Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën
Related units of description
Aantekeningen
Alternative identifier(s)
Trefwoorden
Geografische trefwoorden
Naam ontsluitingsterm
Genre access points
Beschrijvingsbeheer
Identificatie van de beschrijving
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Toegepaste regels en/of conventies
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Status
Niveau van detaillering
Verwijdering van datering archiefvorming
Taal (talen)
- Engels