Área de identidad
Tipo de entidad
Forma autorizada del nombre
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre
Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas
Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre
Identificadores para instituciones
Área de descripción
Fechas de existencia
Historia
In 1865 a temporary church was erected in Nunhead dedicated to Saint Michael-and-all-Angels. When this church became filled to capacity, a permanent church was built with part of the proceeds of the sale of the ground on which Saint Antholin in the City had previously stood. The new Saint Antholin was completed and consecrated on 11 May 1878.
From 1890 the Cheltenham College Mission relieved the incumbent of Saint Antholin of much of his work in a rapidly growing parish. The mission gradually formed itself into a separate church responsible for a large part of the work of the whole parish. Therefore, in 1911, the Bishop of Southwark united the parish with the mission in order to transfer the ordinary routine of parochial work to the parish church and to enable the mission to specialise in work among the poor.
Saint Antholin was gutted by fire bombs in December 1940 and had to be rebuilt. On 12 October 1957 the new church was consecrated under the title of Saint Antony. On 1 March 1990 Saint Antony was made a united benefice with Saint Silas, Ivydale Road, Nunhead (P73/SIL).