Identity area
Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parish of St Stephen, Canonbury Road, Islington , Church of England
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Description area
Dates of existence
History
The church of Saint Stephen was constructed between 1837 and 1839, to designs by W. and H. W. Inwood and E. N. Clifton. A parish was assigned in 1839. The building suffered bomb damage in 1940, but was reconstructed by 1957. The parish was united with Saint Bartholomew's in 1939 and with Saint Matthew's in 1953.
From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.