Coleção GB 0074 P84/MTS - SAINT MATTHIAS, EARLS COURT: KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Zona de identificação

Código de referência

GB 0074 P84/MTS

Título

SAINT MATTHIAS, EARLS COURT: KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Data(s)

  • 1869-1948 (Produção)

Nível de descrição

Coleção

Dimensão e suporte

0.67 linear metres

Zona do contexto

Nome do produtor

História biográfica

The church of Saint Matthias was built between 1869 and 1872 to designs by J.H. Hakewill. The church schools - erected in 1878-1879 - survive. The church dates from the period when there was much church building in Kensington to keep pace with the estate development, regardless of proven need or of financial security. The parish derived from Saint Philip's, Earl's Court Road, which was 'High Church' from the time of its first incumbent the Reverend Joseph Claxton. The first vicar of Saint Matthias was the controversial Reverend Samuel Charles Haines. The doors were at the sides not at the west end because Haines wished to avoid 'the gathering of idle persons around the entrance from the main road and so securing greater quiet in services'. Haines was constantly summoned before the Bishop of London for 'Anglo-Catholic excesses'. Services at Saint Matthias under Haines's ministry were 'fashionably extreme and attracted wide attention'. There was also much dispute over parish boundaries.

During World War Two the church was without a vicar and temporarily administered from Saint Cuthbert's. The church was deemed to be too big for its diminished congregation and the parish was merged with Saint Cuthbert's; the building was razed in 1958.

Entidade detentora

História do arquivo

GB 0074 P84/MTS 1869-1948 Collection 0.67 linear metres Parish of St Matthias, Earls Court , Church of England

The church of Saint Matthias was built between 1869 and 1872 to designs by J.H. Hakewill. The church schools - erected in 1878-1879 - survive. The church dates from the period when there was much church building in Kensington to keep pace with the estate development, regardless of proven need or of financial security. The parish derived from Saint Philip's, Earl's Court Road, which was 'High Church' from the time of its first incumbent the Reverend Joseph Claxton. The first vicar of Saint Matthias was the controversial Reverend Samuel Charles Haines. The doors were at the sides not at the west end because Haines wished to avoid 'the gathering of idle persons around the entrance from the main road and so securing greater quiet in services'. Haines was constantly summoned before the Bishop of London for 'Anglo-Catholic excesses'. Services at Saint Matthias under Haines's ministry were 'fashionably extreme and attracted wide attention'. There was also much dispute over parish boundaries.

During World War Two the church was without a vicar and temporarily administered from Saint Cuthbert's. The church was deemed to be too big for its diminished congregation and the parish was merged with Saint Cuthbert's; the building was razed in 1958.

Records deposited in the former London County Council Record Office, 17 April 1963.

Records of the parish of Saint Matthias, Earls Court, including registers of baptisms and marriages; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to the church fixtures and fittings; correspondence; legal documents relating to parish property; and plans and drawings of the church.

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

English

Fit

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Survey of London, Volume XLII, (1986), LMA Library reference 92.1 GLC.

Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

April to June 2010. Anglicanism Church of England Ecclesiastical parishes Buildings Religious buildings Churches Architecture Church architecture Primary documents Church records and registers Information sources Documents Parish records Marriage registers Government Public administration Local government Administrative units Parishes Parish councils Protestantism Christianity Ancient religions Religions Baptism registers Religion Parish of St Matthias , Earls Court , Church of England Earl's Court London England UK Western Europe Europe Kensington and Chelsea Legal documents Catholicism

Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência

Records deposited in the former London County Council Record Office, 17 April 1963.

Zona do conteúdo e estrutura

Âmbito e conteúdo

Records of the parish of Saint Matthias, Earls Court, including registers of baptisms and marriages; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to the church fixtures and fittings; correspondence; legal documents relating to parish property; and plans and drawings of the church.

Avaliação, seleção e eliminação

Incorporações

Sistema de arranjo

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Zona de condições de acesso e utilização

Condições de acesso

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Condiçoes de reprodução

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Sistema de escrita do material

  • latim

Notas ao idioma e script

English

Características físicas e requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descrição

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Zona de documentação associada

Existência e localização de originais

Existência e localização de cópias

Unidades de descrição relacionadas

Descrições relacionadas

Zona das notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo da descrição

Identificador da descrição

Identificador da instituição

London Metropolitan Archives

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação

Línguas e escritas

  • inglês

Script(s)

    Fontes

    Área de ingresso