Arquivo GB 0372 SRS - Sandys Row Synagogue

Zona de identificação

Código de referência

GB 0372 SRS

Título

Sandys Row Synagogue

Data(s)

  • 1897-2004 (Produção)

Nível de descrição

Arquivo

Dimensão e suporte

28 boxes

Zona do contexto

Nome do produtor

História biográfica

Sandys Row Synagogue is the oldest Ashkenazi synagogue in London, and the last remaining synagogue in Spitalfields. The main synagogue building is almost 250 years old and Grade II Iisted. In 1763 a French Huguenot community purchased an old chapel and it's freehold on this site for £400 on a corner of Henry VIII's artillery ground. L'Eglise d'Artillerie was dedicated in 1766 and remained open until 1786, when it merged with the London Walloon Church. For the next fifty years, the church was let to several Baptist congregations, becoming known as Salem Chapel and then Parliament Court Chapel.
In 1854, 50 poor Dutch Ashkenazi Jewish families founded a chevrah, a type of Friendly Society with a small synagogue attached known as the 'Society for loving-kindness and truth'. The first of its kind. By 1867, it had grown to five hundred members when it acquired the leasehold of the French chapel, having found a champion in the architect, Nathan Joseph. The site was particularly suitable because it had a balcony and was on an East-West axis, albeit facing westwards. Joseph blocked up the original entrances which are still visible, and formed a new one in Sandys Row, together with a new three-storey building for offices and accommodation. The community's independent streak, which perhaps goes a long way to explaining its longevity, was first evidenced in 1870, when the leading Sephardi rabbi, Haham Benjamin Artom of nearby Bevis Marks Synagogue, formally consecrated this Ashkenazi place of worship. The Chief Rabbi at the time, Nathan Marcus Adler, had publicly opposed the establishment of any new synagogue by the poor East End Ashkenazi migrant community and refused to be associated with it. In November 1887, Sandys Row Synagogue was the largest of the East End congregations that founded the Federation of Synagogues. It left the Federation in 1899, and was refurbished for the 50th anniversary of the community after acquiring its freehold becoming an Associate of the United Synagogue in 1922. In 1949 it returned to independent status. For many years the Synagogue acted as the secretariat of the Stepney and Whitechapel Street Traders' Association, bringing together all the market traders from both Petticoat Lane and Whitechapel Markets.

Entidade detentora

História do arquivo

GB 0372 SRS 1897-2004 Fonds 28 boxes Sandys Row Synagogue

Sandys Row Synagogue is the oldest Ashkenazi synagogue in London, and the last remaining synagogue in Spitalfields. The main synagogue building is almost 250 years old and Grade II Iisted. In 1763 a French Huguenot community purchased an old chapel and it's freehold on this site for £400 on a corner of Henry VIII's artillery ground. L'Eglise d'Artillerie was dedicated in 1766 and remained open until 1786, when it merged with the London Walloon Church. For the next fifty years, the church was let to several Baptist congregations, becoming known as Salem Chapel and then Parliament Court Chapel.
In 1854, 50 poor Dutch Ashkenazi Jewish families founded a chevrah, a type of Friendly Society with a small synagogue attached known as the 'Society for loving-kindness and truth'. The first of its kind. By 1867, it had grown to five hundred members when it acquired the leasehold of the French chapel, having found a champion in the architect, Nathan Joseph. The site was particularly suitable because it had a balcony and was on an East-West axis, albeit facing westwards. Joseph blocked up the original entrances which are still visible, and formed a new one in Sandys Row, together with a new three-storey building for offices and accommodation. The community's independent streak, which perhaps goes a long way to explaining its longevity, was first evidenced in 1870, when the leading Sephardi rabbi, Haham Benjamin Artom of nearby Bevis Marks Synagogue, formally consecrated this Ashkenazi place of worship. The Chief Rabbi at the time, Nathan Marcus Adler, had publicly opposed the establishment of any new synagogue by the poor East End Ashkenazi migrant community and refused to be associated with it. In November 1887, Sandys Row Synagogue was the largest of the East End congregations that founded the Federation of Synagogues. It left the Federation in 1899, and was refurbished for the 50th anniversary of the community after acquiring its freehold becoming an Associate of the United Synagogue in 1922. In 1949 it returned to independent status. For many years the Synagogue acted as the secretariat of the Stepney and Whitechapel Street Traders' Association, bringing together all the market traders from both Petticoat Lane and Whitechapel Markets.

Deposited at the Bishopsgate Institute by Jack Gilbert and Jeremy Freedman, March 2011.

Records of Sandys Row Synagogue (1903-2004), including: President's correspondence and papers, including the minutes and correspondence of the Stepney Street Traders' Association, 1953-1973; financial records, including invoices, receipts, bank savings books and accounts, 1904-2004; contributions registers and membership records, 1930-1997; rules and administrative papers, 1933-1987; reports and balance sheets of the Synagogue, 1924-1973; legal documents regarding insurance and building leases, 1920-1950; report and balance sheets of the Sister and Brotherhood Society and the Society for Kindness and Truth, 1897-1936; programmes for dinners and social events, 1963-1979; annual reports for the Jewish Blind Society, the Home for Aged Jews and the Board of Deputies of British Jews, 1956-1973.

No further arrangement required

APPLY TO ARCHIVIST

Photocopying and digital photography (without flash) is permitted for research purposes on completion of the Library's Copyright Declaration form and with respect to current UK copyright law.
English; Hebrew

Adlib catalogue and handlist available in the researcher's area.
Entry compiled by Grace Biggins Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997. 5 December 2016 Sandys Row Synagogue Jews Synagogues Religious buildings Religious groups Buildings Architecture

Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência

Deposited at the Bishopsgate Institute by Jack Gilbert and Jeremy Freedman, March 2011.

Zona do conteúdo e estrutura

Âmbito e conteúdo

Records of Sandys Row Synagogue (1903-2004), including: President's correspondence and papers, including the minutes and correspondence of the Stepney Street Traders' Association, 1953-1973; financial records, including invoices, receipts, bank savings books and accounts, 1904-2004; contributions registers and membership records, 1930-1997; rules and administrative papers, 1933-1987; reports and balance sheets of the Synagogue, 1924-1973; legal documents regarding insurance and building leases, 1920-1950; report and balance sheets of the Sister and Brotherhood Society and the Society for Kindness and Truth, 1897-1936; programmes for dinners and social events, 1963-1979; annual reports for the Jewish Blind Society, the Home for Aged Jews and the Board of Deputies of British Jews, 1956-1973.

Avaliação, seleção e eliminação

Incorporações

Sistema de arranjo

No further arrangement required

Zona de condições de acesso e utilização

Condições de acesso

APPLY TO ARCHIVIST

Condiçoes de reprodução

Photocopying and digital photography (without flash) is permitted for research purposes on completion of the Library's Copyright Declaration form and with respect to current UK copyright law.

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Sistema de escrita do material

  • latim

Notas ao idioma e script

English; Hebrew

Características físicas e requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descrição

Adlib catalogue and handlist available in the researcher's area.

Zona de documentação associada

Existência e localização de originais

Existência e localização de cópias

Unidades de descrição relacionadas

Descrições relacionadas

Zona das notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo da descrição

Identificador da descrição

Identificador da instituição

Bishopsgate Institute

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação

Línguas e escritas

  • inglês

Script(s)

    Fontes

    Área de ingresso