St Paul's Cathedral , London

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Forma autorizada del nombre

St Paul's Cathedral , London

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

    Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

      Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

        Identificadores para instituciones

        Área de descripción

        Fechas de existencia

        Historia

        The first firm reference to the St Paul's Cathedral Choir School is in 1127 when Richard de Belmeis, Bishop of London, refounded the School of Choristers which consisted of eight boys in buildings near its later site in Carter Lane. In 1263 an Almoner was appointed to be "Master of the Children". The Choir School is a separate foundation from St Paul's School, founded by Dean Colet in 1510, whose records are not kept at LMA. During the Tudor period the Almonry, which housed the choristers, was situated on the north-west side of St Paul's Churchyard. After the Great Fire in 1666 it moved to London House Yard with later moves to St Paul's Bakehouse Court (Godliman Street), Old Fish Street and No.1 St Peter's Hill. Between 1794 and 1812 there were no boarding facilities, but for five years after 1812 the boys were accommodated at 27 Craven Street, Charing Cross, moving in 1817 to 7 Adelphi Terrace where eight St Paul's choristers lived with ten children of the Chapel Royal. In 1845, Archdeacon William Hale became the Almoner and the boys lived under his care in the Chapter House.

        Between 1848 and 1875 there was again no boarding; the boys attended daily at the school in the Precentor's house at 1 Amen Court and used the Lord Mayor's vestry in the Cathedral as their practice room. Early in 1875 the school moved into the specially-constructed Choir House in Carter Lane. During the Second World War it was evacuated to Truro and, for teaching purposes, amalgamated with the Truro Cathedral School until its return to London in 1947. In 1967 the school moved to new, purpose-built accommodation in New Change. Until the 19th century, the numbers of boys remained small. In 1872 the organist, John Stainer, realised the need for a larger choir to fill the Cathedral and numbers were quickly increased from eight to forty. In 1891 the Guild of the Companions of St Paul (also referred to as the Old Boys' Guild) was founded to provide moral and financial support to former pupils. Until 1989 the school consisted of choristers only but, after this date, non-singing day boys were also admitted.

        Lugares

        Estatuto jurídico

        Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

        Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

        Estructura/genealogía interna

        Contexto general

        Área de relaciones

        Área de puntos de acceso

        Puntos de acceso por materia

        Puntos de acceso por lugar

        Profesiones

        Área de control

        Identificador de registro de autoridad

        Identificador de la institución

        Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

        Estado de elaboración

        Nivel de detalle

        Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

        Idioma(s)

          Escritura(s)

            Fuentes

            Notas de mantención