Watney Combe Reid and Co Ltd , brewers

Identificatie

Soort entiteit

Geauthoriseerde naam

Watney Combe Reid and Co Ltd , brewers

Parallelle vormen van de naam

    Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.

      Aandere naamsvormen

        Identificatiecode voor organisaties

        Beschrijving

        Bestaansperiode

        Geschiedenis

        Watney, Combe, Reid and Co Ltd was formed in 1898 when a merger was negotiated between Watney and Co Ltd of the Stag Brewery, Pimlico; Combe and Co Ltd of the Wood Yard Brewery, Long Acre and Reid's Brewery Co Ltd, of the Griffin Brewery, Clerkenwell. Following the merger the company was the largest brewing concern in the United Kingdom, and was based at Watney's Stag Brewery in Pimlico.

        The Stag Brewhouse and Brewery, Pimlico, was founded in 1636 by John Greene and his son Sir William Greene. In 1837 James Watney, a miller, bought a quarter share in the Stag Brewery, alongside John Elliot. From 1849 the firm was known as Elliot, Watney and Co. John Elliot withdrew from the business in 1850, remaining a partner in name only until 1858 when he retired. The firm became known as James Watney and Co. In 1885 Watney and Co Ltd was registered as a limited liability company.

        Combe and Co Ltd was founded in 1722 by John Shackley in a former timber yard off Long Acre, London. In 1739 the business was acquired by William Gyfford who enlarged the premises, trading as Gyfford and Co. In 1787 the brewery was purchased by Harvey Christian Combe, a malt factor, but it was not until 1839 that the firm began to trade as Combe and Co. The Wood Yard Brewery closed in 1905 but the Combe family continued to take a major role in the management of Watney, Combe, Reid and Co Ltd.

        In 1757 Richard Meux and Mungo Murray acquired the Jackson's Brewery in Mercer Street. When this was damaged in a major fire they constructed new premises at Liquorpond Street (now Clerkenwell Road). In 1793 Andrew Reid joined the business which became known as Meux, Reid and Co. In 1816 the Meux family left the business which changed its name to Reid and Co. The company was registered in 1888 as Reid's Brewery Co Ltd. On the merger with Watney and Combe it ceased to brew.

        In 1956 Watney, Combe, Reid and Co Ltd decided that the Stag Brewery offered no further scope for expansion. Mann, Crossman and Paulin Ltd of Whitechapel was acquired to provide a new London brewery, and the company name was changed to Watney Mann Ltd.

        Plaatsen

        Rechtsvorm

        Functies, beroepen en activiteiten

        Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid

        Interne structuren / genealogie

        Algemene context

        relaties

        Access points area

        Onderwerp trefwoord

        Geografische trefwoorden

        Occupations

        Beheer

        Authority record identifier

        Identificatiecode van de instelling

        Toegepaste regels en/of conventies

        Status

        Niveau van detaillering

        Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

        Taal (talen)

          Schrift(en)

            Bronnen

            Onderhoudsaantekeningen