Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers

Zone d'identification

Forme autorisée du nom

Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers

Zone de description

Historique

The Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers was incorporated by royal charter in 1453 as the "Fraternity or Guild of St George of the Men of the Mystery of Armourers of our City of London", although it was certainly in existence from the early 14th century. Various other Companies were absorbed during their history, including helmet makers (the Heamers Company), armour repairers (the Fourters Company), the Bladesmiths Company and workers in copper and brass.

The Company leased a hall in Coleman Street in the City of London from 1346 and purchased this site in 1428. This hall survived the Great Fire, was rebuilt in 1840 and again survived damage during World War Two. The Armourers and Brasiers' Company had almshouses in Camden Avenue, Camberwell.